Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
cupbearer

Default How long can someone concentrate for?

hi

what is the maximum length of time someone can choose the concentrate manuever?

is there a RAW answer to this ?

thanks.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
Plane

Default Re: How long can someone concentrate for?

I don't remember anything official about it, but it does seem like there should be some guidelines.

At bare minimum, I would go based on P159's "Long-Term Use" for powers and say it should use up at least 1 FP per hour, like say if a mage was constantly casting spells that his skill reduces to cost 0 energy.

Also because constant focus isn't restful you shouldn't be recovering FP during that period.

In that way, concentration would be limited to FP in hours before you have to begin making Will rolls to stay conscious as you continue to do it.

Of course, someone could concentrate 1 hour, then rest 10 minutes to get back 1 FP, and then maintain it indefinitely unless they start skipping sleep.

Normally you only roll at will-3 to maintain it if you defend, suffer knockdown, or suffer injury... there is a vague "otherwise distracted" in there though, which might give flexibility for GM to define "distracting conditions" which might also force that roll.

For example: say you're standing guard: your legs might get tired, or maybe your head starts to itch, or maybe there's a cool breeze and you shiver.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
cupbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I don't remember anything official about it, but it does seem like there should be some guidelines.

At bare minimum, I would go based on P159's "Long-Term Use" for powers and say it should use up at least 1 FP per hour, like say if a mage was constantly casting spells that his skill reduces to cost 0 energy.

Also because constant focus isn't restful you shouldn't be recovering FP during that period.

In that way, concentration would be limited to FP in hours before you have to begin making Will rolls to stay conscious as you continue to do it.

Of course, someone could concentrate 1 hour, then rest 10 minutes to get back 1 FP, and then maintain it indefinitely unless they start skipping sleep.

Normally you only roll at will-3 to maintain it if you defend, suffer knockdown, or suffer injury... there is a vague "otherwise distracted" in there though, which might give flexibility for GM to define "distracting conditions" which might also force that roll.

For example: say you're standing guard: your legs might get tired, or maybe your head starts to itch, or maybe there's a cool breeze and you shiver.
I think i might use that. thanks
Old 12-08-2019, 05:41 AM   #4
GWJ

Tactical Dot of Observation

GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
rkbrown419

Keep in mind that all sorts of things are likely to crop up that will require a Will-3 roll to keep concentrating. This could be anything from being attacked to a fly landing on your nose. It is likely a matter of how long you can avoid distraction from what you are concentrating on (especially if your concentration has tangible results like a spell or power) rather than how long can you concentrate.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
Black Leviathan

I'd say you accrue Fatigue just like any other combat maneuver, it's less exerting that all-out defense but more mentally taxing.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #7
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I'd say you accrue Fatigue just like any other combat maneuver, it's less exerting that all-out defense but more mentally taxing.
If we were going by Last Gasp, it's exactly as exerting as AOD even if you made 2 defences (both AOD and Concentrate are 0 Action Point maneuvers) and AOD is actually more restful if nobody ends up attacking you (it gives a HT roll to recover like an untriggered Wait, or an Evaluate)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all-out concentrate, requires concentrate