Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 05-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #161
ckosacranoid

Default Re: Stuff I felt should exist....

i think i might have seen the rules for the 5th wheel on nova's website at some point. have to go though thier stuff and find it, but there was all kinds of cool things over there.
ckosacranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #162
swordtart

Based on our most recent exploits.

Grenade projectors. $150, 8 lbs, no space. Weight per triple reload 12lb, cost as per any 3 launched grenades. e.g. smoke = $60 ($10 higher than conventional smoke projector - the price of flexibility), thermite $300, explosive $75. Mixed loads can be used. Projectors may be fitted as per dischargers (resolve damage on mounted facing as per dischargers).

Broadly same game effect as Smoke Projector from Tanks (i.e. pre-set spread of grenades) but pattern may be changed as a trivial mechanics task. The first grenade must travel a pre-set distance perpendicular to the facing mounted on and the other 2 must be a pre-set distance either side e.g. 5" straight out, and 1" either side, 20" straight out and 5" either side, 7" straight out and 1" left and 3" right etc. Projectors are not aimed and require no to hit roll. Each grenade scatters from its pre-set pattern as per a non-12 hit on the grenade scatter table.

Unlike the smoke discharger, Grenades detonate according to timer (pre-set when loaded). Note the travel time of launched grenades that are set to long ranges may mean short timed ones detonate before reaching full pre-set range (in this case determine scatter at point of detonation). Grenades can be fitted with impact or radio fuses at normal cost increases if desired.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #163
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckosacranoid View Post
i think i might have seen the rules for the 5th wheel on nova's website at some point. have to go though thier stuff and find it, but there was all kinds of cool things over there.
I know -- I wrote some of them. ;)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #164
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I know -- I wrote some of them. ;)
A fifth wheel has 8 DP and if damaged can be rebuilt or replaced for $150 per damage point. That pretty well sets the cost at $1200. Some searching about gets me a weight of about 150 pounds for the kind that you can install in a pickup bed. (Price about $1350 in 2015 money, so I'm going to say $1200 for it as well.)

The one I just saw probably doesn't have 8 DP, though. I'd say it probably has more like 2; it's a kit, pretty spindly and probably not built for combat. So, my suggestion is: for the kit version (an Easy task for a mechanic to install or remove): $1200, 150 pounds, 1 space, 2 DP. For a permanent mount, say $2500, 300 pounds, 1 space, 8 DP. Either of these can be armored at standard prices for armoring a fifth wheel and is mounted in the pickup bed, in cargo space.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #165
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
The one I just saw probably doesn't have 8 DP, though. I'd say it probably has more like 2; it's a kit, pretty spindly and probably not built for combat.
Yeah, that's why I'm doing research -- I could see a couple different models being available; the "temporary" unit you describe, ranging up to the sort of thing someone using a _Morgan_ from _VG2_ might have. (I know a lot of people who tow large trailers with pickups; sometimes I have *too much* data to work with. >:) )

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #166
DSumner

Electrolaser - Electrolasers damage their targets by forming an electrically conductive laser-induced plasma channel. A fraction of a second later, a powerful electric current is sent down this plasma channel and delivered to the target. If damage from an electrolaser penetrates to a vehicle's interior (even one point), all electrical devices in the vehicle will be short-circuited. The use of a surge protector will protect vehicle components and prevent this from happening. Repairing short-circuited electrical medium job for a mechanic. A short-circuited power plant can be recharged normally.

Electrolaser -- To hit 6, 2d damage, 2 DP, $10,000, 600 lbs., 2 spaces. Area effect. Drains 4 power units per shot.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"

Last edited by DSumner; 07-29-2016 at 07:57 AM.
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:11 PM   #167
BornAgainAutoduellist

I came up with these back in 1996/2046, for a duel called The 2046 Gadgeteer's Cup, to test new weapons and accessories.

Heavy Gauss Gun (HGG) - To hit 6, $24,250, 600 lbs., 4 spaces, 6DP, 6D damage, 10 shots ($75 and 15 lbs. each). Loaded cost $25,000, loaded weight 750 lbs.; magazine costs $800 and weighs 165 lbs. Area effect. Firing an HGG drains 1 power unit open shot.

Light Magnetic Cannon (LMC), To hit 6, $59,250, 800 lbs., 6 spaces, 6DP, 6d+12 damage, 10 shots ($75 and 5 lbs. each). Loaded cost $60,000, loaded weight 850 lbs.; loaded magazine costs $800 and weighs 65 lbs. Firing an LMC drains 2 power units per shot. LMCs can also be spinal mounted; $62,500, 7 spaces, no special rules. The AADA bans arena use of LMCs.

Heavy Rocket Launcher (HRL) - To hit 8, $1,250, 300 lbs., 3 spaces, 2DP, 3d damage, 10 shots ($60 and 7.5 lbs. each). Loaded cost $1,850, loaded weight 375 lbs.; loaded magazine costs $650 and weighs 90 lbs. Burst effect. May be made Armor-Piercing or Incendiary. Volatile weapon.

Heavy Variable-Fire Rocket Launcher (HVFRP) - To hit 9, $2,000, 200 lbs., 4 spaces, 10 DP (each point of damage destroys 3 rockets), 2d damage per rocket, 30 shots ($70 and 15 lbs. each). Loaded cost $4,100, loaded weight 650 lbs.; loaded magazine costs $2,150 and weighs 455 lbs. Can fire 1, 2 or 3 rockets per turn; roll separately to hit with each rocket. May be made Armor-Piercing or Incendiary. Volatile weapon.

Light X-Ray Laser (LXL) - To hit 7, $9,500, 625 lbs., 2 spaces, 3DP, 3d damage. Drains 3 power units per shot. Area effect. Other effects as per the X-Ray Laser.

Heavy Spike Dropper (HSD), 5DP, $250, 50 lbs., 2 spaces0 shots ($20 and 5 lbs. each). Loaded cost $650, loaded weight 150 lbs.; loaded magazine costs $450 and weighs 115 lbs. Performs like a regular Spike Dropper, except that when set on automatic, it drops one spike counter per every 1/2 inch of movement. Can use every type of spikes an ordinary SD can.

Last edited by BornAgainAutoduellist; 07-25-2016 at 04:17 PM.
BornAgainAutoduellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #168
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner View Post
Electrolaser - Electrolasers damage their tragets by forming an electrically conductive laser-induced plasma channel. A fraction of a second later, a powerful electric current is sent down this plasma channel and delivered to the target. If damage from an electrolaser penetrates to a vehicle's interior (even one point), the vehicle is effected as though the vehicle's electric power plant was hit with an anti-power-plant rocket, and all electronics in the vehicle will be shorted out. The use of a surge protector will prevent this on a roll of 1-3 on 1d6. Electronics may be shielded againts the effect, making them immune, at 3x the normal cost.

Electrolaser -- To hit 6, 2d damage, 2 DP, $10,000, 600 lbs., 2 spaces. Area effect. Drains 4 power units per shot.
I'm kind of mixed here, which probably means it isn't horribly broken. It might even be a bit underpowered.

It probably should address laser batteries specifically though. Also consider trailers and sidecars for whether it affects the pulling vehicle. 10-wheelers might be another case too, when the damage breaches the carrier and not the cab. And the cargo box of a flatbed. Or the cargo area of a pickup. And there's also accessories... EWPs, car top carriers, turrets that could be breached, and whether or not these constitute internal hits.

Hmmm... given all those nasty edge cases, I'm starting to think this one might be too quirky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainAutoduellist View Post
Heavy Gauss Gun (HGG) - To hit 6, $24,250, 600 lbs., 4 spaces, 6DP, 6D damage, 10 shots ($75 and 15 lbs. each). Loaded cost $25,000, loaded weight 750 lbs.; magazine costs $800 and weighs 165 lbs. Area effect. Firing an HGG drains 1 power unit open shot.
Seems a bit... off. The laser is the most comparable weapon to the GG from a design space, and in my mind, the HL is the right one to model a HGG after. A 3 space 4D weapon seems more reasonable, with similar lowering of the stats. The LMC you've got below seems a better fit for a 6D like this.

Quote:
Light Magnetic Cannon (LMC), To hit 6, $59,250, 800 lbs., 6 spaces, 6DP, 6d+12 damage, 10 shots ($75 and 5 lbs. each). Loaded cost $60,000, loaded weight 850 lbs.; loaded magazine costs $800 and weighs 65 lbs. Firing an LMC drains 2 power units per shot. LMCs can also be spinal mounted; $62,500, 7 spaces, no special rules. The AADA bans arena use of LMCs.
Seems ok at first glance.

Quote:

Heavy Rocket Launcher (HRL) - To hit 8, $1,250, 300 lbs., 3 spaces, 2DP, 3d damage, 10 shots ($60 and 7.5 lbs. each). Loaded cost $1,850, loaded weight 375 lbs.; loaded magazine costs $650 and weighs 90 lbs. Burst effect. May be made Armor-Piercing or Incendiary. Volatile weapon.
This one actually seems a bit underpriced. Also keep in mind that incendiary rockets have specific stats for the launchers, so you need to specify them if you want to allow them.

Quote:

Heavy Variable-Fire Rocket Launcher (HVFRP) - To hit 9, $2,000, 200 lbs., 4 spaces, 10 DP (each point of damage destroys 3 rockets), 2d damage per rocket, 30 shots ($70 and 15 lbs. each). Loaded cost $4,100, loaded weight 650 lbs.; loaded magazine costs $2,150 and weighs 455 lbs. Can fire 1, 2 or 3 rockets per turn; roll separately to hit with each rocket. May be made Armor-Piercing or Incendiary. Volatile weapon.
Just no on this one. It brings back some of the worst problems with laser guidance. The VFRP was originally a 2d weapon with a maximum of three shots. It was changed to 1d and 30 shots to reduce how ugly that was. And adding a space and increasing the weight doesn't fix the fundamental problem with that combination.

Quote:
Light X-Ray Laser (LXL) - To hit 7, $9,500, 625 lbs., 2 spaces, 3DP, 3d damage. Drains 3 power units per shot. Area effect. Other effects as per the X-Ray Laser.
Sure, why not.

Quote:
Heavy Spike Dropper (HSD), 5DP, $250, 50 lbs., 2 spaces0 shots ($20 and 5 lbs. each). Loaded cost $650, loaded weight 150 lbs.; loaded magazine costs $450 and weighs 115 lbs. Performs like a regular Spike Dropper, except that when set on automatic, it drops one spike counter per every 1/2 Iinch of movement. Can use every type of spikes an ordinary SD can.
Concept isn't bad, but Heavy (dropped weapon name) generally denotes a weapon that makes a counter 4x the size of the standard one.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #169
BornAgainAutoduellist

Hey there, Mage!

HGG - I was still new when it came to weapon design, so I basically just doubled everything up.

HVFRP - I preferred the old VFRP for ground use (but I could see the need for a strafing rocket weapon), so that's why I doubled the old VFRP's mag capacity and made it the HVFRP.

HSD - Well, what else would you call it?
BornAgainAutoduellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:17 AM   #170
swordtart

FSD - Fast Spike Dropper?
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote