Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
lostrobertsandwich

Default DR and Blunt Trauma..?

"For every full 10 points of cutting, impaling, or piercing damage or 5 points of crushing damage stopped by your DR, you suffer 1 HP of injury due to blunt trauma...

If even one point of damage penetrates your flexible DR, however, you do not suffer blunt trauma."

I don't get this. Let's assume a humongous bullet of 100 damage is coming towards you. You're wearing a flexible vest made of "non-Newtonian golden spider silk" that has 100 DR. So the vest barely stops the bullet but you lose 10 hp due to trauma. Fine.
Now a (nearly) identical bullet comes but deals 101 damage, vs. your DR of 100. You take a single point of penetrating damage, nothing else, no blunt trauma, according to RAW. Why?
Is this addressed in any book? Has someone house-ruled it?
Should I just address it as maybe (for this example) 10 points of blunt trauma, and 1 point of normal piercing damage?
lostrobertsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Brandy

Default Re: DR and Blunt Trauma..?

You're interpreting the rule correctly. Here's an old discussion on the topic.

At DR 100 it does look a little odd, but the rule doesn't break down at DR levels appropriate to modern-day flexible armors.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Psychotime

If I've heard it correctly, a bullet proof vest may save your life, but it'll still really hurt regardless.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:48 AM   #4
vierasmarius

One thing to keep in mind is that, if you're using some of the harsher realism wounding options, piercing damage that penetrates armor can be more threatening than a statistically larger crushing injury. A target is very unlikely to suffer bleeding or infection from blunt trauma... but it's entirely possible to bleed out from just a couple points of piercing.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Bruno

Or get a dangerous infection (gut shot anyone?). Or hit the vitals for a robust damage multiplier (1/6 chance after hitting the torso in some of the optional rules or of course you can aim for it).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Athanbeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that, if you're using some of the harsher realism wounding options, piercing damage that penetrates armor can be more threatening than a statistically larger crushing injury. A target is very unlikely to suffer bleeding or infection from blunt trauma... but it's entirely possible to bleed out from just a couple points of piercing.
And what about a 100 (or 101) damage wrecking ball?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Yeah, I'd probably say BFT always applies, even if the attack penetrates, myself.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Yeah, I'd probably say BFT always applies, even if the attack penetrates, myself.
Or that the attack will inflict a minimum of BFT damage. So the 100 damage gunshot would inflict 10 points blunt trauma, while the 101 point shot would inflict 1 piercing (with all the associated risks for bleeding, infection, etc) plus 9 blunt trauma. A little more complicated, but only for fringe cases - most attacks will still either be blocked completely, or penetrate in excess of what BT would have inflicted.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanbeli View Post
And what about a 100 (or 101) damage wrecking ball?
Not piercing. It's the very example of a high MV to KE ratio, and is crushing damage, or perhaps even collision damage if the rules for such make flexible DR 100 armor of less value vs. each type. Certainly that 100/101 points of damage will have that 12 yard knockback!
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
Athanbeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Not piercing. It's the very example of a high MV to KE ratio, and is crushing damage, or perhaps even collision damage if the rules for such make flexible DR 100 armor of less value vs. each type. Certainly that 100/101 points of damage will have that 12 yard knockback!
Yes, I was saying that to point out an even more discordant example: 20 blunt trauma damage points (100 basic damage points) vs. 1 penetrating damage (101 damage).

Tags
blunt trauma