Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Templates and Talents

I'm looking at a bunch of the templates, and I see that often times they'll list a talent as available for levels 1-6, but the talent itself seems to be limited to 4 levels.

For example, the Bard can take Born Entertainer 1-6 [5/level]. However, the description for Born Entertainer says "You get +1 per level (maximum four) to the Acting, Dancing, Performance, Public Speaking, and Singing skills."

I admit to not having fully read and internalized this stuff yet, so maybe I'm missing something. Do some templates allow for extra levels of these talents? Or can the talents be purchased at more than four levels, but the bonus to skills is maxed out at +4?

I'm clearly missing something. Please help remove my confusion.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
Colarmel

Default Re: Templates and Talents

I think 5-6 are limited to members of the profession. So if a knight wants to join a band, he can't get BE 6.

EDIT: Stuff in the advantage section applies to every character since anyone can take anything in that section with earned and quirk points, stuff in professions applies only to members of the profession.

Last edited by Colarmel; 12-28-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Or it's a copy/paste editing error because talents tend to only go to four levels(hence the limit in the description), but DF and DFRPG do allow for a lot more levels of some of them.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
Refplace

Its what Collarmel said.
Normally the limit is 4 levels but templates override that limit and allow specific ones to go higher.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
Taliesin
Banned

Trait descriptions listed in Chapter 4 Advantages and Chapter 6 Skills are "generic" and can be taken by anyone. Write Ups in professional templates are specific to the profession and overrule the generic version.

Last edited by Taliesin; 12-29-2017 at 09:46 AM. Reason: sp
Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Do some templates allow for extra levels of these talents?
Yes.

For example, Born Entertainer is limited to four levels, except for the bard, who is explicitly allowed to have six levels.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

I appreciate the replies, thanks, but is there somewhere in the book that actually states that the professional templates allow for higher levels of the talents than in general? Other than the numbers listed for them.

(For background, I never read the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy books, so I'm 100% new to this material. But I've read an awful lot of game books over the years that have had material incorrectly adjusted between drafts/versions, which may well color my perceptions here, lacking supporting documentation.)

I can find nothing in the text for the Professions intro material about this. In Understanding Professional Templates, the Advantages paragraph says nothing about having higher levels available in some traits.

Nothing in the templates I've looked at (mostly Barbarian and Bard) talks about them having special access to higher levels of certain talents.

In fact, all the text I've read suggests that all the traits that aren't listed after the professional templates are, in fact, the same as can be bought normally, and just those listed after are special to the profession.

Here's how the seeds of my confusion were sown: Barbarian has two advantages (both talents) that show 1-6 but the text says maximum four: Animal Friend and Outdoorsman. Barbarian also has two advantages (not talents) that show 1-6 *and* the text says maximum six: Resistant to Disease and Resistant to Poison. So, I immediately think maximum four is a typo in the talents, left over from an older draft perhaps. Then I see this continue in Bard. I search around, and am left with no explanation anywhere I can find. So I now think 1-6 is the typo for talents in the templates.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Yes.

For example, Born Entertainer is limited to four levels, except for the bard, who is explicitly allowed to have six levels.
Cross-post.

Okay, thanks. Is this explained somewhere?
Old 12-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

See Maximum Advantage Level (Adventurers, p. 46). All advantages that come in levels have a maximum level equal to the highest of:
  • The maximum noted on the professional template.
  • The maximum under Exceptional Abilities (Exploits, p. 93).
  • The maximum noted in the advantage description.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #10
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
See Maximum Advantage Level (Adventurers, p. 46). All advantages that come in levels have a maximum level equal to the highest of:
  • The maximum noted on the professional template.
  • The maximum under Exceptional Abilities (Exploits, p. 93).
  • The maximum noted in the advantage description.
Thank you so much! I'm sure that I must have read that the first time through the book, but damn if I didn't manage to miss it during this confusion.

Sorry to waste anyone's time.