Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
Zanfire

Default The Last of Us GURPS - The Infected

I' m preparing a sourcebook for GURPS 4th based on the famous PS3 game The Last of Us. If you know the game, you know there are zombie-like infected, which brain is contaminated by a fungus. I'm try to figure out the traits for these infected, so I post them here, hoping someone can give opinions and advices:

7.1. Runner

Runners are Infected who have recently entered their transformation: this is the first stage. Since the eyes are first targeted by the fungus, runners have poor eyesight, but maintain many human instincts. For example, their moans are still human, just like their overall appearance. However, a way to tell them apart from normal survivors is their lambent red eyes. Their body language is sluggish, while they are passive, and makes it seem as if they are trying to resist the fungus.
Sometimes they do not attack at all, even when right in front of them. These non-aggressive runners will only attack if attacked first or when an object is thrown at or near them, thus losing control. This is described to be like a "sneeze", where the host will find it hard to control when a sneeze will occur at any moment and when you are about to sneeze, it is hard to stop from letting the sneeze go through. Runners can attack in packs, flailing their arms trying to trample a survivor, or biting them to spread the contagion.

Attributes Modifiers: IQ-3 [-60].
Secondary Characteristics Modifiers: Will+3 [15].
Advantages: Dosen't Eat or Drink [10], Dosen't Sleep [20].
Disadvantages: Automaton [-85], Bad Sight (Nearsighted, Glasses) [-10], Bestial [-10], Infectious Blood [-5].
Skills: Brawling DX [1]. The original skills are usually completely lost.

Common Runner
ST 10; DX 10; IQ 7; HT 10.
Will 10; Per 7; Speed 5; Dodge 8;
Move 5.
SM 0; 150lbs.

Traits: Dosen't Sleep [20], Automaton [-85], Bad Sight (Nearsighted, Glasses) [-10], Bestial [-10], Infectious Blood [-5].
Skills: Brawling 10.
Attacks: Bite 10 [1d-3 cr]; Punch 10 [1d-3 cr].

7.2. Stalker

Stalkers are the second stage of the Infected. They have the vision and speed of Runners, although are more similar in appearance to Clickers. The most notable trait that defines the "Stalkers" is the beginning of fungal growths on the head and face, the development of pseudo echolocation, and their discretion when chasing a victim: they will strafe and take cover, eventually closing in on the victim, hence the name "stalker". Stage 2 may take place anywhere between a few days after the start of the infection (Stage 1) and up to a year (Stage 3).
Stalkers are the fastest of the infected to spot a survivor as they will spot them usually before a runner will even have a chance to.
The modus operandi of a stalker is to hide and ambush victims.

Attributes Modifiers: ST+3 [30], IQ-3 [-60].
Secondary Characteristics Modifiers: Per+3 [15].
Advantages: Damage Resistance 2 (Tough Skin, Skull) [2], Damage Resistance 2 (Tough Skin, Face) [2], Discriminatory Hearing [15], Dosen't Eat or Drink [10], Dosen't Sleep [20], Scanning Sense (Radar, Targeting) [24], Unfazeable [15].
Disadvantages: Automaton [-85], Bad Sight (Nearsighted, Glasses) [-10], Bestial [-10], Infectious Blood [-5].
Skills: Brawling DX [1], Stealth DX [2]. The original skills are usually completely lost.

Common Stalker
ST 13; DX 10; IQ 7; HT 10.
Will 7; Per 10; Speed 5; Dodge 8;
Move 5.
SM 0; 150lbs.

Traits: Damage Resistance 2 (Tough Skin, Skull), Damage Resistance 2 (Tough Skin, Face), Discriminatory Hearing, Dosen't Eat or Drink, Dosen't Sleep, Scanning Sense (Radar, Targeting), Unfazeable, Automaton, Bad Sight (Nearsighted, Glasses), Bestial, Infectious Blood.
Skills: Brawling 10, Stealth 10.
Attacks: Bite 10 [1d-1 cr]; Punch 10 [1d-1 cr].

7.3. Clicker

Clickers are the third and most well known stage of the Infected that have had prolonged exposure to the fungus. By this stage, the infected possess strength that significantly surpasses the average human, making them deadlier, but at the price of being completely blind due to the prolonged exposure from fungus in its face. However, Clickers are able to maneuver through areas by utilizing echolocation, which produces noticeable clicking noises to locate prey and sounds, much like bats but in a far more crude version, not able to locate prey unless right in front of them. Clickers appear less human than Runners, with faces that are skewed and scarred by fungus developed from their infected brains. Clickers are dangerous and much more aggressive than Runners, but no longer resist the fungus because their humanity has been diminished.
When provoked, a Clicker will immediately enter into a "berserk mode," aggressively flailing its arms. At this point, if a target has been "spotted" by a Clicker, the Clicker will attack head on and will not flinch when shot if not using high powered rounds. It is possible to avoid or distract Clickers instead of fighting them directly, by using bottles or bricks.
It is fairly easy to outrun a Clicker as their crude echolocation has a short range and they only walk quickly to their destination. When far enough or behind cover, the Clicker will get confused and click in all directions.

Attributes Modifiers: ST+6 [60], IQ-3 [-60].
Secondary Characteristics Modifiers: None.
Advantages: Damage Resistance 3 (Tough Skin) [9], Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, Skull) [1], Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, Eyes) [1], Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, Face) [1], Discriminatory Hearing [15], Dosen't Eat or Drink [10], Dosen't Sleep [20], High Pain Threshold [15], Scanning Sense (Radar, Targeting) [24], Unfazeable [15].
Disadvantages: Automaton [-85], Blindness [-50], Bestial [-10], Infectious Blood [-5].
Skills: Brawling DX+1 [2]. The original skill are usually completely lost.

Common Clicker
ST 16; DX 10; IQ 7; HT 10.
Will 7; Per 7; Speed 5; Dodge 8;
Move 5.
SM 0; 150lbs.

Traits: Damage Resistance 3 (Tough Skin), Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, Skull), Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, Eyes), Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, Face), Discriminatory Hearing, Dosen't Eat or Drink, Dosen't Sleep, Scanning Sense (Radar, Targeting), Unfazeable, Automaton, Blindness, Bestial, Infectious Blood.
Skills: Brawling 11.
Attacks: Bite 11 [1d cr]; Punch 11 [1d cr].

7.4. Bloater

Bloaters are the fourth and final stage of the Infected, and immensely strong. Bloaters take the longest to develop, making them the rarest of the infected. They are covered in thick fungus that effectively doubles as plate armor. Due to this protective covering, they can withstand multiple hits from weapons such shotguns and rifles, and even heavy melle weapons, making them extremely tough to eliminate. Bloaters are extremely aggressive, but are rather slow-moving causing them to be more predictable than other infected. Like Clickers, Bloaters 'see' using echolocation to locate and trap a survivor as the fungus has completely deformed their face and blinded them, however their echolocation is a lot cruder than the clickers. If a Bloater were to grab a character, it is capable of forcefully ripping their jaw apart through brute strength.
Bloaters will throw balls of spores from their own body as a weapon, which disperse on impact, making a cloud of spores. These will eventually damage anyone in the immediate area. These spores seems to be acid in nature and not infectious.
Bloaters have a particular weakness to fire which is one of the best method to get rid of them. Armor piercing rounds are quite useful against them, too.

Attributes Modifiers: ST+9 [90], DX-1[-20], IQ-3 [-60].
Secondary Characteristics Modifiers: SM+1, HP+10 [20], Perception+3 [15].
Advantages: Damage Resistance 5 [25], Discriminatory Hearing [15], Dosen't Eat or Drink [10], Dosen't Sleep [20], High Pain Threshold [15], Innate Attack 1d+2 (corrosion, area of effect 4 yards, persistant) [39], Scanning Sense (Radar, Targeting) [24], Unfazeable [15].
Disadvantages: Automaton [-85], Blindness [-50], Bestial [-10], Infectious Blood [-5], Vulnerability (x2, Fire) [-30].
Skills: Brawling DX+2 [4] , Throwing DX [2]. The original skills are usually completely lost.

Common Bloater
ST 19; DX 10; IQ 7; HT 10.
Will 7; Per 7; Speed 4.75; Dodge 7;
Move 4.
SM 0; 300lbs.

Traits: Damage Resistance 5, Discriminatory Hearing, Dosen't Eat or Drink, Dosen't Sleep, High Pain Threshold, Innate Attack 1d+2 (corrosion, area of effect 4 yards, persistant), Scanning Sense (Radar, Targeting), Unfazeable, Automaton, Blindness, Bestial, Infectious Blood, Vulnerability (x2, Fire).
Skills: Brawling 11, Throwing 10.
Attacks: Bite 11 [2d-2 cr]; Punch 11 [2d-2 cr], Innate Attack (throw spores granade) 10 [1d+2].

Last edited by Zanfire; 07-27-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Zanfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
DanHoward

Default Re: The Last of Us GURPS - The Infected

A lot of this will probably be covered in Kromm's upcoming Zombies book and PK's After the End books will likely cover the post-apocalyptic parts of the campaign.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Railstar

My first thought is to ask would glasses actually help the infected? I mean, fungus in the eyes seems a little more difficult to compensate for.

Do they not eat or drink? I recall runners feasting on a corpse early on in the game (the very first runners encountered after the prologue).

Possibly Berserk or something similar? I have never seen an infected take defensive action (though that might be game engine limitations).

Possibly a trait like Confused or Indecisive for Runners to reflect their occasional hesitation to attack?

I hope those help.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Zanfire

All your thoughts helped alot. Something like berserker and confused definitively fits in. I founded the "no eye" advantages which can feet to Clickers and Blaoters, too. Regarding the glasses, you're probably too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
Do they not eat or drink? I recall runners feasting on a corpse early on in the game (the very first runners encountered after the prologue).
Infected feast on victim bodies for sure, but I can't find references if this act is for sustenance or just a conseguence of extreme violence. Neither the wikia, nor the in game collectibles seems to give any hint about this, so I fear this must be a decision to be made based on common sense: For what you can tell from the game, infected seems to not need food or drink, or many of them whould be probably already dead and becomed a spores generator (as is stated by infection knowledge).

Thanx
Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
GodBeastX

GURPS Horror talks about different zombie types too.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
kaulesh

Do the infected really have infectious blood?

Spoiler:  
seem to turn pretty quickly, but I don't recall ever being told exactly when they were exposed. It seems like Joel would have been repeatedly exposed to their blood with all of the skull shattering going on and should be somewhere in the incubation process.

I guess that's a hot topic for any zombie game, though. It wouldn't be as fun if letting a baddie touch you was an instant death that caused you to restart from scratch.
kaulesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanfire View Post
Infected feast on victim bodies for sure, but I can't find references if this act is for sustenance or just a conseguence of extreme violence. Neither the wikia, nor the in game collectibles seems to give any hint about this, so I fear this must be a decision to be made based on common sense: For what you can tell from the game, infected seems to not need food or drink, or many of them whould be probably already dead and becomed a spores generator (as is stated by infection knowledge).
My guess is the game staff literally never thought of it.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #8
Zanfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
GURPS Horror talks about different zombie types too.
Yes, thanks, I already got a look at those templates, before creating the ones I posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaulesh View Post
Do the infected really have infectious blood?

Spoiler:  
seem to turn pretty quickly, but I don't recall ever being told exactly when they were exposed. It seems like Joel would have been repeatedly exposed to their blood with all of the skull shattering going on and should be somewhere in the incubation process.

I guess that's a hot topic for any zombie game, though. It wouldn't be as fun if letting a baddie touch you was an instant death that caused you to restart from scratch.
The game knowledge-base states that infection is fluid-based. Even a scratch can (but not always do) trasmit it, because of fluid-to-fluid contact (blood on skin is not enought). As you rightly pointed this is a main topic in zombie-like games AND an incredible danger for characters. I still think players should fear the infection wildly, in order to create the right mood and to push them to avoid contact with the infected like hell!
With this in mind, it is up to the GM to "cheat" if necessary to avoid useless death/infections.
One optional rule in the sourcebook I'm writing will focus on the chance of being infected for bad luck just while fighting an infected: this simulate the accidental injestion of infected blood, a splash of saliva into the eyes etc. etc. (GM rolls 3d6 for each melee round engaged by infected, on a 3,4,5 the character becames infected). This is an incredibly nasty rule (and optional because of this), but I think some hardcore players can enjoy the thrill it creates and the sense of impending danger it causes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
My guess is the game staff literally never thought of it.
I bet you're right ;)
Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

I found this in a Kotaku article from the author's hands on time with the game before it came out. He was sitting with Neil Druckmann, the creative director for the game.

'Tess helps sometimes, occasionally putting a bullet in a Runner's rotting brain just as it's about to free Joel of his jugular. Despite this hunger for flesh, Druckmann ensures these baddies are not zombies. Brain-eating is simply a by-product of their need to spread the pandemic and survive. "If they sense another person is not infected, it's their instinct to attack and try to spread the fungus."'

I'm still not sure I care for the 'runners eating flesh to sustain themselves' idea, but until I find someone talking about it more in-depth, that quote is the closest to 'from the horses mouth'.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanfire View Post
One optional rule in the sourcebook I'm writing will focus on the chance of being infected for bad luck just while fighting an infected: this simulate the accidental injestion of infected blood, a splash of saliva into the eyes etc. etc. (GM rolls 3d6 for each melee round engaged by infected, on a 3,4,5 the character becames infected). This is an incredibly nasty rule (and optional because of this), but I think some hardcore players can enjoy the thrill it creates and the sense of impending danger it causes!
That's not a sense of impending danger, that's "make a new character every few sessions." That's right around 5% per second of melee combat that the character risks getting infected. A character engaged in melee for 15 seconds over the course of his life thus has a 50% chance of having been infected, while at a minute there's nearly a 95% chance. Unless characters have very high HT, are able to consistently avoid melee, or there's a chance of "throwing off" the infection, you're probably going to lose a lot of characters to such a rule. A "per melee combat" roll would probably work out better (and slow things down a lot less), as would lowering the threshold (say, it only happens on a 3). You could even combine these - a short melee combat results in a roll against 3 at the finish, a long or particularly messy combat results in a roll against 4, and a long and particularly messy combat results in a roll against 5.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
after the end