Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-03-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
Shadekeep

Default Re: Are horses 2-hex creatures?

Anyway, this is threatening to digress into house rules with me going on about the horned horse. I'm glad I got a solid positive on whether horses are two-hex beings.

Weren't there horse counters in some TFT product? I would have sworn there were, either in a separate product like Cardboard Heroes or as counters in one of the programmed adventures. Might have to dig those out and check.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:15 AM   #12
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Anyway, this is threatening to digress into house rules with me going on about the horned horse. I'm glad I got a solid positive on whether horses are two-hex beings.

Weren't there horse counters in some TFT product? I would have sworn there were, either in a separate product like Cardboard Heroes or as counters in one of the programmed adventures. Might have to dig those out and check.
No.

The original 1980's version of Death Test 2 had a 2-hex non-horse counter, and a facing diagram for it. (It's pretty simple - 3 fronts, 2 sides, 3 rears.)

Unicorn Gold also had several non-horse 2-hex counters - giant beavers hehe also lions and sabertoothed tigers - with no facing diagram.

Grail Quest was intended to use horses but they refer players to ITL and provided no horse counters.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #13
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Grail Quest was intended to use horses but they refer players to ITL and provided no horse counters.
Thanks. This was the one I suspected to be most likely of having them. Curious that horse counters have never made an appearance, given the amount of rules in ITL about horses and riding animals in general. But then ITL never had its own counter set, and they wouldn't be a priority for inclusion in Melee and Wizard.

Maybe if SJG gets into producing additional TFT counter sets they'll do a riding animals one.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #14
Shadekeep

And look here for the house rules on the newly-dubbed Equcorn.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:47 PM   #15
hcobb

The warhorse entry at ITL 88 is a bit too broad of a spread. Historical Destriers should be ST 28 to 31, and that 31st point is rounding up a bit. You really ought to double costs for extreme animals of ST 32 to 34 and ten times cost for monsters of ST 35 or 36. These would be large two-hex figures (along with the biggest draft horses) in the same sense that a Reptile Person is a large one-hex figure.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #16
Shadekeep

One other kind of counter set that would be interesting is one with everything viewed from above, like the dragon counters. I think those would work well with horse counters, and making determining a counter's front easier in some cases. Not everyone's cup of tea, naturally, but could make a cool alternate.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #17
Skarg

Quote:
One other kind of counter set that would be interesting is one with everything viewed from above, like the dragon counters. I think those would work well with horse counters, and making determining a counter's front easier in some cases. Not everyone's cup of tea, naturally, but could make a cool alternate.
I definitely think top-down counter art looks and works best for multi-hex figures. It helps people understand where the front / side / rear is, and also which body parts are in which hexes.

The 2-hex counter in Death Test 2 was top down, as were our home-made horse counters, and the GURPS 3-hex horse counters.

I don't think I'd even use side-view or front-view multi-hex counters, except giant humanoids.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:31 AM   #18
ParadoxGames

Quote:
A while ago I made top view 1 & 2 hex dragon counters. Here are some of them:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...73/unknown.png

Print at 100% for Legacy scale, 75% for classic scale.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #19
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
A while ago I made top view 1 & 2 hex dragon counters. Here are some of them:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...73/unknown.png

Print at 100% for Legacy scale, 75% for classic scale.
These are great!

(There weren't originally any non-home-made counters for those sizes of dragons.)
Old 12-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #20
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
These are great!
Thanks!

I personally love making my own counters. For TFT I have a menagerie.