Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
BrockNicholson

Default Machine Controlling Hero

I have an idea for a hero in a super campaign I am playing in. I am limited to the Basic set but my GM is fine with creating an advantage that meets this basic concept.

The idea is to have a hero who can awaken machine spirits and then talk them into helping him and his teammates out. I don't want complete control of the machine, but rather to have the machine help of its own free will.

I figure this requires an advantage to actually awaken the machine. A second advantage to communicate with the machine. A third advantage granting machine empathy would be helpful. And then I will give him various skills to increase his ability to convince people and things to be cooperative.

So, yeah, I'm not sure what to do here.
BrockNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Machine Controlling Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockNicholson View Post
I have an idea for a hero in a super campaign I am playing in. I am limited to the Basic set but my GM is fine with creating an advantage that meets this basic concept.

The idea is to have a hero who can awaken machine spirits and then talk them into helping him and his teammates out. I don't want complete control of the machine, but rather to have the machine help of its own free will.

I figure this requires an advantage to actually awaken the machine. A second advantage to communicate with the machine. A third advantage granting machine empathy would be helpful. And then I will give him various skills to increase his ability to convince people and things to be cooperative.

So, yeah, I'm not sure what to do here.
Are the machines becoming animated? if not, how do they help? Are we talking robots and computers, or vacuums that can do the living room for you while you slack off?
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Refplace

If all you can do is talk with them I would create a variant of SPeak with Animals and give it the sentient entrancement used for Plants.
The last is in Supers but might pass muster.
If not then mak an Afflcition to give them sapience.
Medium for calling and communciating and a Machine Empathy advantage would be good to.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
David Johnston2

So this guy leaves a trail of self-aware and potentially rebellious machines behind him? Well. I can't see any resulting problems there.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
If all you can do is talk with them I would create a variant of SPeak with Animals and give it the sentient entrancement used for Plants.
The last is in Supers but might pass muster.
If not then mak an Afflcition to give them sapience.
Medium for calling and communciating and a Machine Empathy advantage would be good to.
I was thinking of a Sapience Affliction as well, but took a left turn from there.
Dominance with a Cosmic Modular Ability for short term Allies may be a better route. Rather than a supernatural curse, they get supernatural sapience and mobility for as long as the points are in the Ally Advantage. Also, it would solve the issue of afflicting something so powerful that you have no business controlling, as you'd need to have sufficient points to buy it as an Ally (albeit temporarily)
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
BrockNicholson

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
So this guy leaves a trail of self-aware and potentially rebellious machines behind him? Well. I can't see any resulting problems there.
In theory the machines were already "self aware" he just animates them so they can function for him. When he leaves they would lose their animated quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker
Are the machines becoming animated? if not, how do they help? Are we talking robots and computers, or vacuums that can do the living room for you while you slack off?
The machines become animated and able to operate themselves. Anything from a robot or computer to a simple machine like a lock.
BrockNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
naloth

There's a number of options.

You could get TK w/Animation to make them come alive... Slap on independent and a nuisance effect and you even get some personality.

You could use Psychometry to talk to machines and learn about them, who's used the, and other details they might have picked up.

You could use summonable Allies and define them as local machines becoming animate (perhaps requiring machines as an environmental limitation).

Sentient machines, are of course, subject to the normal control/contact abilities with the Digital modifier.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
In theory the machines were already "self aware" he just animates them so they can function for him. When he leaves they would lose their animated quality.
Then all you need is a modifier to say "Requires Reaction/Influence Roll to see if the power will obey you."
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
There's a number of options.

You could get TK w/Animation to make them come alive... Slap on independent and a nuisance effect and you even get some personality.

You could use Psychometry to talk to machines and learn about them, who's used the, and other details they might have picked up.

You could use summonable Allies and define them as local machines becoming animate (perhaps requiring machines as an environmental limitation).

Sentient machines, are of course, subject to the normal control/contact abilities with the Digital modifier.
Based on your refined objectives this is probably your best option.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
RyanW

Quote:
I have no speaker and I must beep.

I think I'd go with Allies (Machine spirits, summonable).

Tags
supers