Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 03-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #131
Keiko
Banned

Default Re: What do you want in a Transhuman Space game (as a player)?

I'm going to revise my opinion about playing bioroids in canon THS. It isn't limited but its more like playing an ethnic minority in a time period what that group experiences endemic and relatively generalized prejudice than an "alien" race. You can play something that brings that experience to the game in a future that's fairly egalitarian as far as ethnicity and gender go (which are even mutable to some degree) but maintain allot of "humanity" if you want. Uplifts and digital life can provide a more alien experience if you like (so can some of the more unusual bioroids).
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #132
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
I'm going to revise my opinion about playing bioroids in canon THS. It isn't limited but its more like playing an ethnic minority....
Very much so, complete with "invisible" divisions within the minority, for the different origins of the 'roids, but they're largely the same to baselines within their obvious purpose: sexbot, specialized labor, domestic....

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:41 AM   #133
Keiko
Banned

After a great deal of thought I've come to a conclusion: I can't answer the topic question. I don't think there is much that would appeal to me about being a player in a canon Transhuman Space campaign. I enjoy gming it (albeit modified) but there's not much to engage me as a player with a great deal of changes. I guess that really shouldn't come as a big surprise as the adventure that stirred my interest in the game and setting in the first place was apparently "Not Transhuman Space".
Old 03-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #134
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
If you're talking about "Orbital Decay", no it's not THS.
Well, conceptually not THS. Canonically it is in fact one of the THS products.

It's one of those cases of WordOfGod vs. what's written in the books.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #135
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
If you're talking about "Orbital Decay", no it's not THS.
Well, its one of the Transhuman Space products and uses concepts from the game. It was offered as Transhuman Space game at the convention where I played it. But yes I guess its not THS because I actually found it interesting and fun to play.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #136
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
I have Orbital Decay in hard copy and it reads like the plot of an Alien sequel to me.
It doesn't really bear much resemblance to the Alien/Aliens franchise, IMO aside from being horror in space. But not that that would be a bad thing. Those were good films. I'd love to run adventures that were that exciting and fun.

Quote:
I think it's been said it was offered as a stand alone adventure, and instead was shoe horned into THS at the last minute because THS was new and needed an adventure. The implausible orbital mechanics don't help either, as previously discussed on these forums.
So I've heard before. In this forum actually. That doesn't change the fact that it was presented as "Transhuman Space", sold as "Transhuman Space" and when I (and several others) played it we assumed it was "Transhuman Space" and that's what got us interested in the setting.

And the orbital mechanics are hardly the only implausible thing in THS. Not that anyone cared in the group I played or anyone I've told outside of this forum. I guess its the circles you move in.

Since its apparently such a terrible bad thing and unconnected with the setting, it might be a good idea to make that more widely know and/or stop marketing it as a Transhuman Space scenario. Its kind of a bait and switch.

Personally I enjoyed it a great deal. And had I know what it was. It would have saved me allot of time, some money an some personal irritation. But OTOH, the game I'm gming is going well so its not all bad. Though I keep being told that its not "Transhuman Space" either on here.

Last edited by Keiko; 03-23-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #137
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
So I've heard before. In this forum actually. That doesn't change the fact that it was presented as "Transhuman Space", sold as "Transhuman Space" and when I (and several others) played it we assumed it was "Transhuman Space" and that's what got us interested in the setting.
On the other hand, when I heard about it, it didn't inspire me to look at it and it slightly diminished my interest in Transhuman Space. Of course, I haven't much use for published adventures in general. My favorite THS supplement is Fifth Wave. No accounting for tastes, you know?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #138
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
On the other hand, when I heard about it, it didn't inspire me to look at it and it slightly diminished my interest in Transhuman Space.
Another good reason to stop calling it a THS adventure. But then I just don't find the canon setting something that I'd want to play in.

Last edited by Keiko; 03-23-2015 at 09:32 AM.