Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Statting can't return to worlds where killed (unkillable 3, jumper)

I was building a racial template for a group of NPC's (including the villain of a current story line) and found myself statting out the following ability:

Unkillable 3 (takes 3 year to reform, cannot enter world where killed for 25 years)

Its a world jumping campaign, where the worlds have a web-like structure: being unable to go through a world can delay you by anywhere from 2 to 8 jumps, expose yourself to dangerous situations (like being in a world where your core powers don't work) and of course there is the fact that you are unable to act on the world where you died.

Yes, this was for an NPC whose point value isn't that relevant, but if I were to put something similar on a PC, what would it cost? how big of a limitation is the time to reform? and should the 'can't enter the world' be a limitation on unkillable or on jumper?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Statting can't return to worlds where killed (unkillable 3, jumper)

"Time to reform" is normally, at worst (-HPx10), around 220 days for a character with HT 10. 3 years is right around 5x that, or a little more than 2 levels of Takes Extra Time. As you're automatically defaulting to the worst case scenario, I'd say around 3 levels of Takes Extra Time, for -30%, would be appropriate.

The worth of the inability to return to worlds where you've previously died is extremely campaign-dependent, but should be a Limitation on Jumper, not Unkillable.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
Nereidalbel

Taking 3 years to reform means you actually heal slower during your Unkillable than when you're still alive. As for not returning to a reality where you've been killed, that's a campaign feature that death banishes you from a reality for a fixed period of time.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
McAllister

Sometimes, I click on topics because I think "oh, this sounds like a really interesting case. I wonder what the community will say about it." Then someone like Varyon comes in, shuts any debate down with a clear answer and, well, that's that, case closed, nothing to see here.

This is, after a fashion, a compliment to Varyon for his comprehensive response.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

having it as a campaign feature is fine if everyone with unkillable 3 gets the same restriction: they don't. Some can show up the next day. And I was kind of hoping for advice on what the limitation would look like -- thats why I gave the details on jumping.

Wow, the healing time for unkillable 3 is kind of long... It makes the fabled (unofficial and cranky concept) unkillable 3 minus unkillable 1 more attractive.

Thanks for sorting out the healing on unkillable 3 -- though that does raise the question of if you can speed up healing for unkillable 3 by taking reduced time.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The worth of the inability to return to worlds where you've previously died is extremely campaign-dependent, but should be a Limitation on Jumper, not Unkillable.
It looks like a inverted form of Limited Access, from Powers p57.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Wow, the healing time for unkillable 3 is kind of long... It makes the fabled (unofficial and cranky concept) unkillable 3 minus unkillable 1 more attractive.

Thanks for sorting out the healing on unkillable 3 -- though that does raise the question of if you can speed up healing for unkillable 3 by taking reduced time.
You can speed it up by taking Rapid Healing, Very Rapid Healing, or some level of Regeneration. For example, if you have Regeneration (Extreme) [150] shouldn't you be back at full HP in 8 turns (for someone with 10 HP)? Even basic Regeneration means the (otherwise) average 10 HP person is out of action for 55 days plus any extra due to failed natural healing rolls. Anything faster than Regeneration (Regular) means you won't even have to factor in Healing rolls.

I guess I'd just see if Regeneration can be modded by "Takes Extra Time" and possibility for Accessibility (Only While Dead).
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
Refplace

The usual trick is to buy regeneration "Only when dead" to fix the Unkillable problem.
If the NPC has regenration adn it does not work when dead that is different another accessability limitation, though a much smaller one.
I agree with varyon though.
Not going to a world you have been killed in no way limits Unkillable. It is a limiter to World Jumper since you cant go back there and worse if you have to take another route to go to other places.
If special paths are required to Jump is that a feature everyone has or a limitation?
I am thinking -20% on Jumper to not be able to go to worlds you have been killed in for X time if it really does block a lot of worlds or cause incovenice but -10% is reasonable for minor stuff. after all how often will they die?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
Balor Patch

Sometimes it's a campaign feature. Consider a fantasy campaign where the party dies, goes to Hell, and can't get back so the GM sends them questing through the abyss, astral, and other alternative worlds. Then after years of mighty quests they make it back home in the nick of time.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I
Yes, this was for an NPC whose point value isn't that relevant, but if I were to put something similar on a PC, what would it cost? how big of a limitation is the time to reform? and should the 'can't enter the world' be a limitation on unkillable or on jumper?
You left out a critical detail. What happens when someone else tries to move you to such a world?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote