Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #141
Langy

Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I may or may not be biased but this could easily be folks taking All-Out Attack (Determined) to hit. Most people that lack training are probably doing this exact things. While I'm loath to give myself "stats" I probably *do* have around a Brawling of 14. But I'm a pretty experienced scrapper. As for ID checks they are more or less universal in my state and especially for the places I've worked. I started this kind of work at 14 1/2 at a strip joint. I was nearly 6 foot 3 at the time and the boss never asked for my ID and I got paid under the table. They even let me do my homework in the back till I was needed out front.
Good god. I never knew you were a half-giant!
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #142
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
Nice post. I think that movie violence is a poor example of how it usually works. I have about 15 years experience feeding people as they are leaving the bars, so I have seen a lot of fights between drunk people. I do not intervene personally, but I know who, among my customers, the bouncers are. They are happy to restrain people for the police to deal with. I am always grateful to the bouncers who help out for little more than my thanks and a sandwich. These guys all seem to respect my desire to see violent people restrained without being roughed up more than necessary to subdue them, so far, knock-on-wood. I dislike seeing people get hurt, and as you say, people get hurt in fights.
I've done security for sandwiches before. Also for tokens for the arcade games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
You shouldn't feel self conscious about describing this, imo. You are an experienced expert, after so many years, and this sort of thing is at the center of a big body of GURPS rules. Seeing it translated into combat maneuvers is cool.
Glad you liked it. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Good god. I never knew you were a half-giant!
It's cool. They let me practice magic and everything. ;-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #143
Christopher R. Rice

Session Recap: The Awakening - Casting Lots, Part I, Game Session 4

This recap is kind of old, but I've been a bit lazy about writing up the full recaps because I've been working on a ton of other things. I've finally caught up and so today you'll get another glimpse into my campaign...whether you want to or not. ;-)

This session was all about finding out the inner workings of the campaign setting and tracking down the kidnappers. For the most part it worked, but the PCs decided to go into a entirely different direction to explain what should have been a throw-a-way plot...you know, like PCs do.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #144
Christopher R. Rice

Gamemaster's Guidepost: Tactical Maps, Anywhere, Anytime

Can't bring a tactical hex map with you to all your gaming locations because of limitations of space or not a large enough table? Try this hack out.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #145
Christopher R. Rice

Session Recap: The Awakening - Casting Lots, Part I, Game Session 5

The end of the little "side quest" the PCs found themselves on. Some unexpected results with one of the players (the nat 3s went round the table), and an interesting turn of events that will probably make the campaign all the more interesting.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #146
Christopher R. Rice

Triple Threat: Walloping Welk

Yeah, it looks like a snail and it's got more mucous than a Yiddish granny (at least *my* Yiddish granny), but that doesn't mean it's dangerous. Right? WRONG. At three tons and able to sprint for 24 mph it's like getting hit with a VW Bus. A really big VW Bus that eats anything, has mucous that can paralyze you if you touch it (or put out fires), and is armored like a tank. So if you're looking for something to toss against your players let them face a Walloping Welk - or worse, a pack of the bastards (it's prey of choice, the Blitz Barnacle is due up next week, so stay tuned!)

Become a Patron!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #147
Varyon

Quote:
You've got a minor inversion going on there, wherein the more damage the "Extinguishing Mucous" does, the worse it is at putting out fires. I assume you mean that rolling the fire's damage or more puts it out immediately, rolling 1/3rd (or more) the fire's damage puts it out in 3d seconds, rolling 1/10th (or more) the fire's damage puts it out in 1dx20 seconds, and rolling less than 1/10th the fire's damage does nothing. You've got things working the other way around currently (with the exception of the last bit).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #148
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
You've got a minor inversion going on there, wherein the more damage the "Extinguishing Mucous" does, the worse it is at putting out fires. I assume you mean that rolling the fire's damage or more puts it out immediately, rolling 1/3rd (or more) the fire's damage puts it out in 3d seconds, rolling 1/10th (or more) the fire's damage puts it out in 1dx20 seconds, and rolling less than 1/10th the fire's damage does nothing. You've got things working the other way around currently (with the exception of the last bit).
Glargh! I thought I fixed that (the significant other brought up the same issue).

Edit: I did fix it. These rules are based off of those from Chinese Elemental Powers and that's how the system is presented in that book. I clarified it a bit though.

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 03-11-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #149
Christopher R. Rice

Triple Threat: Blitz Barnacles

Along the sand,
Be careful what path you take,

It hides in the water,
But runs from the tide,

Don't pick it up or you might lose a hand,
And if you touch it it will be your last mistake.

Terrible poetry I know. But seriously. Don't touch them. If any creature should have evolved with a "Warning! Flammable!" sign it would be the Blitz Barnacle. If you touch it...it's going to blow up. If you fall on it... it's going to blow up...AFTER it shoots spikes the size of larger daggers into your tender, tender flesh. If you're really unlucky it's going to do all of that and then some. A small field of these critters can serve as obstacles to your players or make for a very neat adventure "I need the [whatever organ] of a Blitz Barnacle. I'll pay top dollar...if you come back with it." Whatever you use them for they go boom, stabby-stabby, and fwhoom (that's the sound fire makes. Trust me. It is) so that can't be all bad, can it?

Become a Patron!
Old 03-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #150
Varyon

Quote:
Edit: I did fix it. These rules are based off of those from Chinese Elemental Powers and that's how the system is presented in that book. I clarified it a bit though.
That's odd, I must just be misreading something then.

Quote:
Interesting. One humorous way I can see to deal with the buggers is to first kill a Walloping Welk and extract the anesthetic and flame suppressant from it, then mix them together and dump them on the Blitz Barnacles. That should make them safe to transport (they can't stab you if they're paralyzed) and/or kill (suppressant stops the explosion from happening).

At least, I assume that's the effects the welk's fluids would have on them, as otherwise you're going to have a lot of welks getting killed by an afternoon snack (even with IT:DR 4, an internal 3d explosion with 3d burning and 1d+3 impaling fragments is going to be painful).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blogs