Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
Jason

Default Malakim, Judges, and Mixed Settings

I'm hoping I can ask for some advice on how to integrate Malakim and Servitors of Judgment into settings with angels and demons on relatively friendly terms. One of my players, you see, happens to be playing a Malakite of Judgment, and it's kind of screwing up my plans to run the adventure from Night Music, "The Demon Prince of Rock & Roll."

One of the most interesting dynamics in this adventure is that there is a lone Malakite in Austin who is completely in the dark about the fact that a bunch of his friends are demons, and the only reason the setting really holds together is that the only local Servitors of Judgment are equally in the dark. I don't think my players will be willing to constantly pull the wool over the eyes of our resident Malakite Judge, however, and I know that he will narc on Zara, Tomas, and Druiel at his next meeting with Dominic. I suppose the practical upshot of this is just that my PCs won't be coming back to Austin anytime soon after this mission is over, but I'm not sure how to make things pan out in a logical and satisfying way such that they don't get too sidetracked from the main mission.

One thing I'm also not sure about is how Dominic would react to reports of angel/demon coziness. Night Music implies that he must have an inkling of what's going on here, so I guess he'd either cryptically tell his Servitor not to worry about it, implying he has his own plans for Austin, or he'd bring in all the angelic "favored Servitors" for questioning after the main plot is over. It seems like kind of a bummer to burn through so many good NPCs so quickly, though, or to introduce mysteries I have no intention to solve for my players.

I know that Malakim can decide to put off killing demons until other matters are attended to, and Judges wouldn't necessarily have to report angels for heresy if those angels could make a good case that they may be helping to "reform" the demons they're friends with …*but I'm still having a hard time seeing how this can end well without the most interesting NPCs all dying. Some probably won't emerge unscathed, but I welcome your alternative suggestions.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angels, demons, dominic, judgment, malakim, mixed, night music