Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
JMD

Default Re: Giving Allies damage bonuses (power review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
May I ask what the "Affects Others" is for? Afflictions are supposed to affect others. That's what they are for...

"Sonic" and "Activation (WL/H)" are two modifiers I'm not familiar with. Can you explain and/or cite sources?

Thank you,
Jerander.
Goooood point. I could probably take that out. It is a relic from when I was using Innate Attack instead.

Sonic is a limitation I made up for this set of powers. I presented it in another thread for a different power and the thread was derailed with opposing sides thinking it was fair for -20% and some not, so I intentionally left out exactly what it entails. :)

As for Activation WL/H, that means it requires a Will roll to activate the power. You can find it as a limitation in Powers pg 112. That is then coupled with "Power Skills" meaning that Will is instead now just the default activation roll for the power, and they can raise this power as it's own skill just like a weapon skill.

So we are now looking at this:

Quote:
Affliction 1 [10]
Advantage (Innate Attack Burn 1pt [2], Follow Up [+0%], Universal (Apply to Any Attack Type) [+50%] = 3) [+3%]

Area Effect 2 [+50%], Aura [+80%]
Reduced Duration 1/20 (3 seconds) [-25%], Hearing Based [-20%]
Terminal Condition (Target leaves field or field goes down)[-10%],
Nuisance (Must be only active Rally) [-5%],
Costs FP 1 [-5%], Sonic [-20%], Activation (WL/H)[-10%]
= 14

Last edited by JMD; 09-14-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added updated power stats
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Sonic is a limitation I made up for this set of powers. I presented it in another thread for a different power and the thread was derailed with opposing sides thinking it was fair for -20% and some not, so I intentionally left out exactly what it entails. :)
I assumed it was Reverse Sense Based (Hearing) until I saw the other limitation you have there. But anyways: "Campaign limitation" works. :P
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
Bruno

Advantage (Innate Attack Burn 1pt [2], Follow Up [+0%], Universal (Apply to Any Attack Type) [+50%] = 3) [+3%]

That's +30%, not +3%.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
the_matrix_walker

Adding a 3 point Advantage is a +30% Enhancement on Affliction.

(Sense Based, Hearing) is an Enhancement on an Attack without Malediction, not a limitation. I don't know what (Sonic, -20%) is. You don't need Affects Others on your Affliction. I'm not familiar with RAW rules on Terminal Conditions in this context (I'd love a page reference), and I left out the fatigue cost too, but this is more what you're trying to do I think.

Affliction (Added Advantage, Follow up IA, +30%; Area Effect, 2, +100%; Aura, +80%; Malediction 1, +100%; Selective Area,+20%; Sense Based, Hearing, -20%; Reduced Duration 1/20, -25%; Melee, C, -30%; Nuisance Effect, -5%) [35]
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #15
JMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

That's +30%, not +3%.
Ack! My bad. Memory. Dumb.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
As for Activation WL/H, that means it requires a Will roll to activate the power. You can find it as a limitation in Powers pg 112. That is then coupled with "Power Skills" meaning that Will is instead now just the default activation roll for the power, and they can raise this power as it's own skill just like a weapon skill.
Requires (Attribute) Roll doesn't replace any existing roll, you would still need to make any rolls required by the underling power. If you want the roll to use the power to be based on Will, you need to take Based on (Other Attribute), +20%,
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
JMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Adding a 3 point Advantage is a +30% Enhancement on Affliction.
D'oh! Indeed it is.
Quote:
(Sense Based, Hearing) is an Enhancement on an Attack without Malediction, not a limitation.
Interesting. I don't know why I added that. I was perhaps thinking that it's a disadvantage since you are trying to give a friend something beneficial and that to be able to hear you.
Quote:
I'm not familiar with RAW rules on Terminal Conditions in this context (I'd love a page reference)
It's in powers pg 112. I made it -10% because an enemy can take down the field by moving the caster of the power, removing the pc from the field, or knocking the caster unconscious. To figure out how to do that, or realize they need to, I thought a roll against an applicable knowledge skill would suffice.

Quote:
Affliction (Added Advantage, Follow up IA, +30%; Area Effect, 2, +100%; Aura, +80%; Malediction 1, +100%; Selective Area,+20%; Sense Based, Hearing, -20%; Reduced Duration 1/20, -25%; Melee, C, -30%; Nuisance Effect, -5%) [35]
Thanks for putting some work into this! However, I don't understand why you added Melee C.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
vierasmarius

Quote:
Requires (Attribute) Roll doesn't replace any existing roll, you would still need to make any rolls required by the underling power. If you want the roll to use the power to be based on Will, you need to take Based on (Other Attribute), +20%,
In his initial build it didn't include Malediction, so didn't by default require the user to roll IQ. As you pointed out that build had an issue with the Sense Based modification, but adding Malediction isn't the only solution to that.

Quote:
Thanks for putting some work into this! However, I don't understand why you added Melee C.
Affliction is normally usable at a range. Adding Area Effect still lets you "throw" it out, with the center of the Area at any point in range. Melee C makes it so it must be centered on the user instead, while Aura makes it always active. The alternative build would be to just use Area and Emanation (in place of Melee and Aura). That would make it a "burst" that you use an action to activate, and may actually be closer to your original power.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 09-14-2012 at 10:23 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #19
JMD

Quote:
Yea, I figure they would roll once to be able to access the power, then roll again if needed (if it's an innate attack or affliction type deal.)

I did this because I have 5 pc's, each with several powers, and I don't want them to just be able to beef up their innate attack skill and be able to use it as a catch all skill to be awesome.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #20
JMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
In his initial build it didn't include Malediction, so didn't by default require the user to roll IQ. As you pointed out that build had an issue with the Sense Based modification, but adding Malediction isn't the only solution to that.
If you have another solution to keep it sense based (hearing) and keep me far away from the +100% malediction enhancement, I would love to hear it!

Tags
aura of power