Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
N.H.Alicia

Default GURPS Naruto: Again (assumes some familiarity with the source material)

So, how do we do this? Thoughts?
First order of business: The fact that even trainee ninja have absurdly high ST and DX. More HP seems to be a must, too - maybe even ablative DR. I'm thinking we use Powers for some of the increased attributes (this way we can add limitations like "Not when out of chakra").

Techniques, next. Powers or Spells? I could go either way: they're very much like spells, but powers might work. Magery could be used to represent skill with each different "school".

Here's a mock-up using advantages:

Fireball Jutsu (9 points)

2d6 Burning (base 10 points)
Requires Gestures: both hands (-10%)
Costs Fatigue/ER: 1 (-5%)
Uses Ninjutsu Talent

(Should it require a roll to aim, a roll to perform or both? I'm torn. If the second, there should be an auto-success threshold.)
N.H.Alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: GURPS Naruto: Again (assumes some familiarity with the source material)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.H.Alicia View Post
Here's a mock-up using advantages:

Fireball Jutsu (9 points)

2d6 Burning (base 10 points)
Requires Gestures: both hands (-10%)
Costs Fatigue/ER: 1 (-5%)
Uses Ninjutsu Talent

(Should it require a roll to aim, a roll to perform or both? I'm torn. If the second, there should be an auto-success threshold.)
You've got an Innate Attack there. Roll to Activate is a Limitation you can add if you like but doing away with the roll to hit altogether probably isn't even an option. Even Guided or Homing would be Enhancements.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
Gnomasz

Default Re: GURPS Naruto: Again (assumes some familiarity with the source material)

My first thought is that Spells give a better foundation for showing mastery of techniques. But we might quickly get into discrepancies between the story and the system. IIRC, Haku was unique in his one-handed seals (skill 10, really), while faster casting was more common, I feel (yet I can only recall Kakashi being ever praised for his speed, so I might be wrong on that point). We could rejig the Magic Rituals, so that casting time reduction comes before one-handed casting, but I don't remember Haku as especially quick caster. So maybe it should be tangential?
Old 10-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
N.H.Alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You've got an Innate Attack there. Roll to Activate is a Limitation you can add if you like but doing away with the roll to hit altogether probably isn't even an option. Even Guided or Homing would be Enhancements.
I found "Skills for Everyone" (Powers, 161). That might work.
Continuing the example: To use Fireball, you would roll against the Fireball Skill/Technique, based on Ninjutsu. If you succeed, you can then attack.
To save time, if the user has an effective skill of 14 with any jutsu, they pass this check automatically.
Requires Attribute Roll is nice, but I prefer using skills...
Old 10-02-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
N.H.Alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
My first thought is that Spells give a better foundation for showing mastery of techniques. But we might quickly get into discrepancies between the story and the system. IIRC, Haku was unique in his one-handed seals (skill 10, really), while faster casting was more common, I feel (yet I can only recall Kakashi being ever praised for his speed, so I might be wrong on that point). We could rejig the Magic Rituals, so that casting time reduction comes before one-handed casting, but I don't remember Haku as especially quick caster. So maybe it should be tangential?
Haku's one-handed seals were, AFAIK a quirk of Ice Release, although inbetween Shippuden and Boruto I remember Naruto learning how to perform Shadow Clone Jutsu one-handed... It seemed like a rare ability, and it may be something that has to be sought out specifically.

We'd have to change the magic ritual system, true.

We could just work on both a powers and magic based system, and present both as options.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #6
N.H.Alicia

Here's a magic-style mock-up:

Fireball Jutsu (IQ/H)
This technique is primarily used by the Uchiha clan. The user either breathes out a fireball or a stream of fire ending in a large sphere dealing 1d6 burning. The area of effect begins at two yards. Roll against Innate Attack to hit.

Cost: 2 Chakra plus 2 for each extra die of damage and yard of radius up to 4d6 and 5 yards.
Seals: Six.
Prerequisites: Ninjutsu 12/2 (skill based/advantage based)
These numbers aren't final.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #7
N.H.Alicia

I think the jutsu system should take inspiration from Ritual Magic. Each type of technique has its own base skill - Ninjutsu, Genjutsu, Taijutsu, Chakra Control? Techniques are based on the core skill for their "school" I.E. Fireball is based on Ninjutsu, and has a certain amount of Ninjutsu skill as a prerequisite.

Each jutsu has a modifier to the effective skill, usually negative, to distinguish them difficulty wise, in addition to the standard system.

Should reduced time to perform jutsu represent faster hand seals or less?
Old 10-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.H.Alicia View Post
I think the jutsu system should take inspiration from Ritual Magic. Each type of technique has its own base skill - Ninjutsu, Genjutsu, Taijutsu, Chakra Control? Techniques are based on the core skill for their "school" I.E. Fireball is based on Ninjutsu, and has a certain amount of Ninjutsu skill as a prerequisite.

Each jutsu has a modifier to the effective skill, usually negative, to distinguish them difficulty wise, in addition to the standard system.
I woild not go with the exact mix here.
A lot of the flavor is the elements so each college should be its own Skill
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
How do we model the ability to teach Jutsu to those who lack it? Some kind of Modular Abiities: Afflicted d Advantages?
You can just declare they are teachable advantages. For example in some settings Magery is teachable, especially after the first level.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
N.H.Alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
You can just declare they are teachable advantages. For example in some settings Magery is teachable, especially after the first level.
I think a teaching skill would be good for this.

Tags
naruto