Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #491
dcarson

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Antipodes
Global wealth, power, and influence have shifted hard to the south after a major war in the north.
1995 A.D.
POD Cuban Missile Crisis goes hot, USA/Soviet nuclear exchange, major destruction in Northern Hemisphere
This is similar to the background that de Camp used for his "Viagens Interplanetarias" stories. GURPS Planet Krishna is in that universe. Most of the book is just Krishna but the first chapter covers the universe background. Might be worth mining for ideas.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #492
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

Celtic-4: Its a fun idea. For me the biggest issue is what the magic that will happen will look like. I just am not seeing a flavour. I suppose that could be left up to a GM ...
I think I need to add that Arthur returns in 1849 "The Springtime of Nations. Lancelot, the Ill Made Knight is born in Kentucky in 1809. Lincoln of course. Meanwhile Victoria died in childbirth leaving Ernest Augustus king of England (Modred). Sir Turquine was also reborn and teachs at VMI, goes by the name of Jackson. Meanwhile Bishop Balwin was born in Germany in a family of Jewish converts to Protestanism, called Marx.

Freely blending the 19th century will Arthurian lore this world can give lots of fun.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #493
Anders

Omen-1

"When the Jews return to Zion
and a comet rips the sky,
and the Holy Roman Empire rises;
then you and I must die.

From the eternal sea he rises,
creating armies on either shore,
turning man against his brother,
'til man exists no more."

He must DIE, Mr. Thorn!

(Although exactly why any Christian would want to STOP Armageddon is beyond me. Isn't it supposed to be the prelude to the Best Thing Ever?)

Last edited by Anders; 09-10-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #494
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
This is similar to the background that de Camp used for his "Viagens Interplanetarias" stories. GURPS Planet Krishna is in that universe. Most of the book is just Krishna but the first chapter covers the universe background. Might be worth mining for ideas.
I haven't read those, but I recall that my dad liked them.

I was thinking of something from Piper's Terro-Human Future History.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #495
patchwork

Lots of good ideas here; I like Logos and Celtic-4 very much.

Between Anima and Wazir, I'm going to go for Wazir; I like both of them, but while Anima has the better background, I think I could only get one adventure or a relatively short story arc out of it...while I could spin a long campaign primarily about Wazir if I was so inclined.
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #496
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
Lots of good ideas here; I like Logos and Celtic-4 very much.

Between Anima and Wazir, I'm going to go for Wazir; I like both of them, but while Anima has the better background, I think I could only get one adventure or a relatively short story arc out of it...while I could spin a long campaign primarily about Wazir if I was so inclined.
Kewl beans.

I may do another low TL world, something different than Anima.

RE Celtic 4-- Yeah, I think Astro is on to something good with that one. Maybe I'll do something with the Matter of France, since he has done one with the Matter of Britain?

Last edited by combatmedic; 09-10-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #497
patchwork

WIP: Emir

In this worldline, the Emir Abd al-Kader makes a great fuss over Napoleon III's declaring himself Emperor, and that worthy re-exiles him to the USA, where he will definitely be no further trouble and couldn't possibly be heard from again.

The Emir settles into the social scene of New York and Washington; when the Civil War breaks out, he eagerly offers his services to the Union, but they are declined - Lincoln knows exactly what sort of war the Emir has in mind and is very good at, and it - isn't the war Lincoln has in mind.

Reconstruction is another matter, and he lands Texas, where he serves as an adequate administrator and an excellent evangelist, particularly among the freedmen, where he effectively becomes the chaplain for the 9th and 10th Cavalries. His early successes among freedmen hamper his progress among whites, as Islam is initially seen as a "black religion"...but this doesn't keep him from converting Geronimo and many other Apache. Islam's spread into white America will have to wait for its second great evangelist - Charles Taze Russell.

While still small, the Islamic minority is large enough by 1916 that declaring war on the Ottoman Sultan and Caliph is a dangerous political proposition for many congressmen, so the USA does not participate in the Great War. As the Caliphate crumbles, the last claimants outside of India are offered refuge in the USA, which they accept, although many residents of the former Ottoman Empire and India do not take the American Caliphs seriously.

I'd like to take Emir up to modern times, but the Dark Valley gets all weird, with the USA significantly interested in the Middle East commercially, much less interested in financing reparations from Germany to the other powers, and without the experience of the Great War or the League of Nations, very likely to make early blunders in WWII. Not sure what to do yet with a USA that has a significant Muslim minority.

Variants might include Emir-2, in which al-Kader organizes a large all-black army during the ACW and leads it effectively; and Emir-3, in which a very pro-Islam USA joins the Central Powers during WWI and bites off more than they can chew...

Last edited by patchwork; 09-10-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: adding variants
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:37 AM   #498
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
RE Celtic 4-- Yeah, I think Astro is on to something good with that one. Maybe I'll do something with the Matter of France, since he has done one with the Matter of Britain?
Try having someone find Joyese, Durendal, and Curtana the sword of mercy. Then spin from there.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:05 AM   #499
combatmedic
Banned

Pluvial

Current year 105 A.D.

POD Unknown event sometime before 3900 B.C.

Homeline climatological research teams haven’t yet determined why, but the 5.9 Kiloyear Event was only a minor and short-lived disruption on this timeline. Deserts from Morocco to China occupy much less ground; grassland, wetlands, and forests cover more territory.

Large scale riverine farming civilizations never developed.

Most of the world’s people live as semi-nomadic pastoralists and/or foragers. Agricultural communities remain small.

Pictographic script was developed in Greece around 1000 B.C. and has since diffused by slow degrees to other parts of the world. Its primary functions are magical/religious, as no complex bureaucratic systems exist that would require detailed record keeping. A separate pictograph system developed in China; it also sees use mainly for magical purposes.

Many CFs several of which are clearly related to/descended from Neolithic cultures known of by scholars on Homeline. Others have no clear antecedents.

A common pattern for local societies:

 Representative democracy/patriarchy (the menfolk gather as needed to choose elders/judges and elect a headman/chieftain)
 CR 2
 TL 1
 No Status above 3 (village headman, shepherd patriarch)

Anarchy, Athenian Democracy, and Clan/Tribal also exist. Nothing known above CR 3.
TL 0 is common for small cultures and isolated groups.

Pluvial’s first major power and first world religion developed together in Persia among a pastoral nation. The founding tribe’s myths claimed all human beings shared a common set of parents. Evil spirits broke up the big, happy family by luring some of the sons and daughters far from home and corrupting them. In the last century, the shamans of the tribe promulgated a vision of reunification of all peoples. The horse nomad warriors who now seek to fulfill that vision employ bows, lances, lariats, long-knives, and shields made of bull hides (the wealthiest among them have begun wearing armor made with disks or bars of bronze sewn onto jackets and caps). Anyone may gain membership in the empire by marrying in/being adopted into one of the clans that make it up. Everyone outside the Great Family is either a potential recruit or an enemy.

 Horse Empire/Great Family
 Clan/Tribal
 CR 3
 TL 1
 No status above 4 (King-Father)
Old 09-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #500
Bill Cameron

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
WIP: Emir...

Intriguing, delightful, and a wonderful change to the formulaic dreck routinely posted in this thread. That being said...

Without a US entry in WW1, the Entente will be unable to raise loans by early 1917, its war effort would be greatly effected, and the Ottomans will not fall.

The newly created Federal Reserve took its job very seriously at the time and in late 1916 had recommended much stricter collateral guidelines for any new Entente loans made by US banks. The Wilson Administration, which had wobbled between each side since 1914 and which was currently more anti-Entente than pro-Central Powers thanks to UK intransigence regarding mails and the failure of the armed merchant ship bill in Congress, accepted the Fed's recommendations without qualm. The new collateral guidelines meant that the next round of Entente loans negotiated in the spring of '17 would either be relatively small or entirely nonexistent.

(Historically, no new private loans were needed after the spring of '17 because US government loans were available instead. Rather than wait for the credit trap to snap shut, Wilhelmine Germany decided to shoot itself in it's own genitalia by announcing unrestricted submarine warfare and dispatching the Zimmermann Telegram. The latter, which approached Mexico with plans for a German, Mexican, and Japanese alliance to attack the US did what 28 months of neutral merchantman sinkings could not and brought the US into the war.)

With the UK supporting both France and Russia through it's own borrowing in the US, this clamping down on credit would have been ruinous. The best the Entente could hope for would be a "white peace" with significant gains going to the Central Powers. All that means that the Ottoman Empire isn't going to fall in this timeline.

While Sherif Hussein's revolt in the summer of '16 after his son brings news that the government in Constantinople are planning to overthrow him and Murray's late '16/early '17 offensive out of Egypt to clear the Sinai and reach Gaza will most still most likely occur, Allenby's masterful offensive during the summer of '17 that cleared Palestine and broke the Ottomans will not occur because the UK will not be able to afford both it and continued operations on the Western Front.

The Ottoman Empire is going to survive the war and their "victorious" allies, Wilhelmine Germany, will be in a good position to assist them in crushing the various internal rebellions the war sparked. Those crackdowns, perhaps coupled with an increased push for secularization by victorious Young Turk faction, could give you the increased Muslim emigration your timeline needs.

The Ottoman Empire, however, will not collapse in your timeline absent some other POD.
Bill Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited