Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #11
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: GURPS Action 9: The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post

Sounds like this is a good chance for people to remember that TL is a convenient label and not how real life actually works. (And sometimes not how fiction works, depending on how hard its science is.)
Yep.

The TL of a place is that of most of the stuff they wake up and use all day, or could easily buy for such use if they wanted, and could replace or repair without effort if it failed. It isn't the TL of the stuff they can bring in from elsewhere at great expense.

Also remember that TLs don't end. Thus, TL8 factories and distribution chains still manufacture and disseminate plenty of TL0-7 stuff. So, something can be new and still be TL6 or TL7 – and if the local resources can really only manage to maintain things like that, that place is TL6 or TL7, not TL8.

For instance, I wake up and take third-generation antihistamines while my girlfriend takes immunomodulators that work on the genetic level. We turn on our LED lighting, and check our communications of computers with flat screens and high-speed Internet. Everything around us is made of alloys and synthetics that didn't exist in my parents' adolescence. And when I look out the window, I see hybrid and electric vehicles, and an electric car charging station. That's living at TL8.

But I doubt that people living in Aleppo right now have that experience. So, they're at whatever TL they can reliably get, which might be TL6-7 if they're lucky.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:53 AM   #12
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Damn you, Kromm, for making me spend money on Black Friday!
As a man with iron principles I waited till saturday
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #13
Tinman

Got it. Looking forward to using it in my Psionics campaign.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:57 PM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

I liked it. Some obvious stuff in hindsight (isn't it always?), but I really liked it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #15
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Plenty of towns are controlled by non-national forces, and in large parts of the world, these forces use WWII weapons. A good example would be many towns in Syria. My mother works with Syrian refugees . . . a lot of places there might be fairly called "TL5 with TL6 weaponry, plus TL8 cellphones."

Beyond warfare, look at pp. 6-7 of High-Tech. Tech level 6 is a fair assessment of any place where goods are made largely of wood, rubber, and steel instead of plastics and composites; that lacks reliable access to chemical fertilizer; that doesn't have widespread computers; that relies on prop planes rather than jets; and that doesn't see appreciable use of solar or wind power, or have much instance of organ transplants. A few cell phones and TVs aren't really enough to change that.

As the rules say, communities in the developing world might include more TL6 tech in the mix because poverty means that tech has to be kept running . . . but treating a town as TL6 doesn't mean TL7-8 gear doesn't bleed in! It means there's no local production or up-to-the-minute infrastructure for TL7-8 stuff. That's why people from truly TL8 places have penalties to find parts and support for their tech, and bonuses to work around the outdated, poorly maintained local electronics.
Some of what you're saying makes sense but with electronics in particular it's important to distinguish between "outdated" and "cheap". I spent a month in Cambodia in 2013 and when I was there I bought a ridiculously tiny cell phone for $35. It was so small in fact that it probably would have been impossible to make not long prior to my visit (certainly not in the early 90s, though I don't know enough about the history of cell phones to say when exactly a phone that small first became possible). If the heroes are trying to replace their electronic gear in a very poor part of the world, it's likely that if what they want is available at all, it's likely to be at the cutting edge of cheapness. Perhaps rather than penalizing rolls for acquiring kit, the value of the acquired kit should be modified by the multiplier for the city's wealth level?
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:28 AM   #16
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I liked it. Some obvious stuff in hindsight (isn't it always?), but I really liked it.
Yes, I really liked it too. I'm looking forward to using it in my psionics campaign soon. The PCs are going to "Chicago" & the write-up of Urbopoilis will be very useful.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #17
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

The PCs are going to "Chicago" & the write-up of Urbopoilis will be very useful.
Be sure to rename it something slightly less generic. I couldn't quite get away with "Generic Big U.S. City," but that's basically what I did there. ;)
  • Camp 23 is called that because I researched logging camps and discovered that most big conglomerates number their camps . . . and 23 is SJ Games' lucky number.
  • Tomorrow is meant to throw back to the hopefully named planned cities of the post-WWII era. I confess that it's supposed to have an updated New Vegas vibe.
  • Mozli was inspired by various places in film, including the dire African villages in Lord of War.
  • Ves is just every Bond trope in one place. I'm not even sure you can have skiing and vineyards in the same place. ;)
  • See above for Urbopolis. It's Gotham meets a Quentin Tarantino film.
  • And Tazhicheng is a bad translation of "City of Towers," meant to stand in for any crowded SE Asian city seen in action movies. I'm sure Woo could set a film there.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:49 AM   #18
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Be sure to rename it something slightly less generic. I couldn't quite get away with "Generic Big U.S. City," but that's basically what I did there.
When a friend and I ran DC Realtime (a campaign where the DC heroes started their careers in the years when they were first published), we decided that the comic book names for cities were pseudonyms for real US cities. We thought that Gotham City had to be New York, so we made Metropolis Chicago.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:05 PM   #19
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
When a friend and I ran DC Realtime (a campaign where the DC heroes started their careers in the years when they were first published), we decided that the comic book names for cities were pseudonyms for real US cities. We thought that Gotham City had to be New York, so we made Metropolis Chicago.
That's more or less what I always took for granted that they were. Chicago would be the nearest "Really Big City" to a guy who grew up on a farm in Kansas, and IIRC DC's "Kingdom Come" includes the Statue of Liberty or something very much like it in a Gotham skyline panel.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:19 PM   #20
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
That's more or less what I always took for granted that they were. Chicago would be the nearest "Really Big City" to a guy who grew up on a farm in Kansas, and IIRC DC's "Kingdom Come" includes the Statue of Liberty or something very much like it in a Gotham skyline panel.
Minor geekfest: There is a real-life Metropolis, Illinois, on the southern tip of the state (situated on the Ohio River across from Kentucky), which has a 15 ft tall painted Superman statue in its town square. (Despite this, Metropolis, IL, only has a population of around 6,000; hardly a "big" city.) I want to say the nearest "big city" to Kansas would be St. Louis, MO - or maybe Kansas City, MO. While I support using Chicago for Metropolis, the one line I heard was "Metropolis is New York City during the day, Gotham is New York at night", which isn't too far from how they're usually portrayed. (Personally, though, I put Gotham in New Jersey across from Staten Island.)

Using "Uberopolis" works for either.

(Out of curiosity, which cities were Central/Keystone, Star, and Opal? I'm ASSuming Coast City was Los Angeles.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote