Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 05-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #81
MattV

Default Re: Can kickstarter revive Car Wars minis

I do hope along that SJG has some really good inspirational pictures of models and dioramas in multiple scales in their rule book.

I love the game and think it is best played 1X. But I think a large group, expecially the younger generation, is going to want to model Car Wars. If SJG doesn't do a standard sized mini, then I hope they promote having your imagination run wild and modelling any size/scale people want to do.
MattV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #82
thudthwacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattV View Post
Yes, those are 2X scale. They are listed as 1/87th, but they were smaller than most 1/87. Probably around 1/95th scale.

If using miniatures I really like the size. 2X is easily converted from 1X. The models themselves had good detail for their size.

They also fit well with 15-18mm miniatures.

Check out this blog to see some of them on the table.
http://geekingmattv.blogspot.com
So, all the minis on your blog (which, sidenote, has some awesome stuff on it) are these 2X scale ones? Very nice, and as you say, it looks to be mostly reasonable to work with on a standard-sized dining table.

Out of curiosity, have you used N-scale? I see people mention them once in awhile, and it seems that those are a bit larger than 1x, but not quite 2x. (I might be wrong about that -- I've never worked with any of them.)
thudthwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #83
MattV

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudthwacker View Post
So, all the minis on your blog (which, sidenote, has some awesome stuff on it) are these 2X scale ones? Very nice, and as you say, it looks to be mostly reasonable to work with on a standard-sized dining table.

Out of curiosity, have you used N-scale? I see people mention them once in awhile, and it seems that those are a bit larger than 1x, but not quite 2x. (I might be wrong about that -- I've never worked with any of them.)
I bought some n scale cars and the ones I bought fit just over a 1" counter. Something bugged me about the cars overlapping the counter and I never got to basing them or working with them. I may someday do something with N-scale though. It is calling me and I can imagine a good looking n-scale setup would look real nice.

There are some very nice N-scale figures. I have to say I wouldn't be unhappy if someone came out with a line of close to N-Scale Car Wars figs. I'd probably buy them if they looked good.

The 2x cars are nice looking and when on a table they look good. But gaming wise outside of a convention they are a little big. If you do a road scenario and your are travelling 80mph, you are moving the figures 16 inches per turn. You will quickly run out of kitchen table. Also, without so many Car Wars players out there it's fairly common to get at the most three players. A standard duel between three different cars really isn't all that great. You would only want to do it once in a while. But three players controlling two or three cars is a blast. You are always in the action and if one car dies you are still playing. With 2X, controlling two or more cars can be difficult. You will be walking around the table quite a bit moving each car. 1X is no problem controlling multiple cars.
MattV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #84
thudthwacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattV View Post
The 2x cars are nice looking and when on a table they look good. But gaming wise outside of a convention they are a little big. If you do a road scenario and your are travelling 80mph, you are moving the figures 16 inches per turn. You will quickly run out of kitchen table. Also, without so many Car Wars players out there it's fairly common to get at the most three players. A standard duel between three different cars really isn't all that great. You would only want to do it once in a while. But three players controlling two or three cars is a blast. You are always in the action and if one car dies you are still playing. With 2X, controlling two or more cars can be difficult. You will be walking around the table quite a bit moving each car. 1X is no problem controlling multiple cars.
Good to know. All-told, then, I continue hoping that the next edition decides to use 1X as the base size (though, of course, it would be excellent if stretch goals included mounting bases, turning keys, and phase charts for 2X and 3X).
thudthwacker is offline   Reply With Quote