Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 05-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #71
MongolHorde

Default Re: 6e Car Wars, what do you want to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Explicit support for nonstandard scales in the rules.

It's going to have miniatures of some sort - card, 3D card, plastic, whatever. So there's going to be a standard scale. But the game system could make an explicit distinction between real-world distances and scale distances - the latter perhaps measured in MU (Movement Units), which would be defined at 1" for CW Classic and 3" for CW5.

This is mostly a matter of careful rule-writing to ensure that all game material talks about MU rather than inches, and a paragraph somewhere along the lines of "if you have a very big or a very small table, feel free to change the scale - just scale everything equally, so a standard car is still 1MU x 1/2MU, a bike is 1/2MU x 1/2MU, and so on".

(Yes, I realise that if the box turns out to be an Ogre-style cardboard-fest you're throwing all that good stuff away... but probably the rules will go on sale as PDF eventually, and this is a nice and easy way to encourage people who can't use the standard scale.)
I rather like this idea. I was (when I first skimmed this topic) thinking of suggesting they go with a "standard" scale, such as HO or N (which comes fairly close to the old 15ft = 1in scale) but reading your post and thinking about it, sticking with something that can be played on standard graph paper is handy.
Switching to generic "MUs" would make it easier for people to use whatever scale they want (Hot Wheels, 1:72 model kits, Z scale train parts, 1:1 real car duels in the school parking lot {although doing a roll is going to be tough on the car and the players}, custom size Lego cars on the living room floor, etc)

So yeah, I like the idea of a "generic" scale system.
MongolHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #72
swordtart

I have been using a phased recover of HC in my current game and apart from the added overhead of bookkeeping it works well. I simply multiply the HS recovery by ten and then use the movement chart to return 1HS every time you would get 1" of movement.

Thus HS recovery of 1 is in phase 1 each turn, recovery of 3 would be phase 1,3,5 and recovery of 6 would be 2 in phase 1 and 1 in phase 2,3,4,5.

An added side benefit is that by spending a little each turn, you can actually recover it before you need to spend it again. Under the standard system if I recover 3 HS per turn I may as well make a D3 turn (and risk a single control roll) as with 3 D1s as I'll end up at the same -3 to HS and I'll wont recover the massive chunk of 3 until next turn. If I make 3 D1s I'd also make potentially 3 control rolls, the last of which is at the same difficulty as if I'd made the D3. Even with the bonus to the crash result it is unlikely to end up in a better outcome. Under the revised system if I made the D1 turns I would at most be at -1 HS over the turn, I would be a net 0 HS at then end of the turn.

The above might seem a bad thing, but it does tend to encourage more gentle manuoevres (which is a more realistic model). It also means duels are decided by cars getting shot rather than everyone rolling and burning due to excessive manuevers.

I also think the crash tables have been neutered a bit too much. Your driver skill already may add to your HC (via the reflex bonus), it increases your HS recovery. Both these already significantly reduce your chance of crashing, to have it act as a negative modifier to crash results as well seems to be over the top. I have been in duels where high skilled drivers can zoom around at speeds of 60 and with all the bonuses literally cannot do more than skid a bit even when they have been making a D3 turn every phase (+0 for maneuvre, +1 speed, -5 driver = -4 = maximum 8 severe skid, average 3 minor skid). OK, so they were put off their aim a bit. Off-road a driver of skill 3 is in the same risk free position.

I didn't like bursting into flames from a crash result, but I did like to see the occasional roll or spinout.

Last edited by swordtart; 05-05-2012 at 12:53 PM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #73
Aahz.

For me I simply need a car design system and some easy method to use a map that doesn't require a pool table. I was so disappointed with the scale change when I couldn't easily run Hammer Downs anymore.
Aahz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #74
Jeffr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahz. View Post
I couldn't easily run Hammer Downs anymore.
I like the cut of your jib, mate.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #75
Sinkuu

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...n/posts/221837
Old 05-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #76
LokRobster

ya'll did see in the description that it will most likely be a Compendium2.5 redo, rather than basing off CW5? that should make a bunch of us happy I think...

hmmm i don't see a way to NOT fund Ogre now lol

i'm sure i wanted to anyway!

... /em checks bank account...
[K, i'm in for $23... I'll put it to $123 to get Orge+CW Shirt now, see main thread]

Last edited by LokRobster; 05-07-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: gettin my shirt
LokRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #77
Aahz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
ya'll did see in the description that it will most likely be a Compendium2.5 redo, rather than basing off CW5? that should make a bunch of us happy I think...
That makes me happy.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #78
Jeffr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post

hmmm i don't see a way to NOT fund Ogre now lol

i'm sure i wanted to anyway!

... /em checks bank account...
[K, i'm in for $23... I'll put it to $123 to get Orge+CW Shirt now, see main thread]
Okay, I thought I saw that but can't find it now.

Where did Steve/SJG say/imply that...? (Phil Reed was pretty clear on going from 5e a week or two ago.)
Old 05-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #79
Aahz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr0 View Post

Where did Steve/SJG say/imply that...? (Phil Reed was pretty clear on going from 5e a week or two ago.)
I too remember reading that too but Kickstarters comment design makes it hard to find any single post.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #80
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr0 View Post

Front page, $700K stretch goal.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote