Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 01-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
jarulf

Default GCA and OpenRPG

Has anyone made an export filter from GCA to OpenRPG?
jarulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
Naryt

Default Re: GCA and OpenRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarulf
Has anyone made an export filter from GCA to OpenRPG?
Not that I've seen. One reason is that there is no set GURPS node structure for OpenRPG. I wrote a number of the nodes currently available for GUPRS/OpenRPG use but I have not taken the time to really understand the GCA export filter. If someone familiar with the filter wanted to either give me a primer course in filters or wanted to work together with me to write a filter, I'd be happy to put together filters for the various GURPS nodes available.

Better role playing than dragon slaying!
Naryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Bruno

I had one, many moons ago, but it mostly just created dice roller macros for each skill. It wasn't very advanced and I stopped using OpenRPG for a few years. I think they're on a new version now.

However, it looks like our group will be headed back onto it in a month or two, so I'm going to need one again.

Naryt, what's the spec on your nodes? how's it work?

I used the Hero dice roller "back in the day" because it used the right basic success mechanic, IIRC. I may even have hacked it, I can't remember.

Have things changed?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Naryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
I had one, many moons ago, but it mostly just created dice roller macros for each skill. It wasn't very advanced and I stopped using OpenRPG for a few years. I think they're on a new version now.

However, it looks like our group will be headed back onto it in a month or two, so I'm going to need one again.

Naryt, what's the spec on your nodes? how's it work?
The basic one mainly uses simple skill rolls, for example, Acting (13) would look like this:
Code:
<option selected="0" value="">&lt;b&gt;Acting (13)&lt;/b&gt; [3d6.skill(13,?Modifiers)]</option>
The real difficulty is that the Acting roll (along with the other skill rolls) is in a list box node nested five levels beneath the main node and that's just the skill node. The spell node, stats, disads and so forth are on nodes of their own. I'm quickly beginning to remember why I didn't pursue writing a GCA export filter.

Quote:
I used the Hero dice roller "back in the day" because it used the right basic success mechanic, IIRC. I may even have hacked it, I can't remember.

Have things changed?
I took the basic Hero rolled and modified the living daylights out of it to create a GURPS roller (others also helped along the way). It now correctly checks for critical rolls, success and failures, incorporates the Rules of 20, 16 and 14 where needed.

Last edited by Naryt; 01-07-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
jarulf

I take it the answer to my question is "No, not really. Not now anyway. check back later" :-)
jarulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naryt
The basic one mainly uses simple skill rolls, for example, Acting (13) would look like this:
Code:
<option selected="0" value="">&lt;b&gt;Acting (13)&lt;/b&gt; [3d6.skill(13,?Modifiers)]</option>
The real difficulty is that the Acting roll (along with the other skill rolls) is in a list box node nested five levels beneath the main node and that's just the skill node. The spell node, stats, disads and so forth are on nodes of their own. I'm quickly beginning to remember why I didn't pursue writing a GCA export filter.
Sounds like you just need a loop or five. if you want to email me the whole spec (or a sample .xml file with two skills, two spells, two stats, two adds, two disads, etc. ) I can probably bang something togeather. Won't be instant because I'm distracted by Dungeon Fantasy and my mother's computer problems, but probably by the end of January I'll have something sort of.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
Naryt

Quote:
Sounds like you just need a loop or five. if you want to email me the whole spec (or a sample .xml file with two skills, two spells, two stats, two adds, two disads, etc. ) I can probably bang something togeather. Won't be instant because I'm distracted by Dungeon Fantasy and my mother's computer problems, but probably by the end of January I'll have something sort of.
I've been thinking on it and it the nesting could actually done from within OpenRPG or your favorite text editor...hmmm, that has possibilities. I'll put something together and email it to you.

Thanks Bruno.