Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 05-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #31
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Can I Haz Glass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefreeman View Post
(potentially) less complex than minis - recognise Munchkin cards (perhaps on a special playmat to designate zones per player or similar) and automatically work out combat values?
Recognize combat stat blocks in English-language Fighting Fantasy books, and automatically do the combats for me, so that I can play (physical) books while riding on a bus, and similar?

Farther future: Recognize combat stat blocks in translated Fighting Fantasy books. Also include QR tags in new and re-published game books (any system, not just Fighting Fantasy) so that you can use your glasses to hop to some kind of web server to do the combats for you, without needing physical dice, or keeping track of stats with pen and paper.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #32
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

SJ Games doesn't have the rights to Fighting Fantasy books, which were published by the UK Steve Jackson.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #33
starslayer

Integrate with GCA (or at least a markup exported version of the sheet) and any GURPS PDFs that the player/GM owns (and has uploaded to their glasses). Integrate with connection to the forums for rules clarifications.

Display relevant stats/skills depending on situation selected, automatically look up related rules and clarifications, sometimes like google glass for the GM would increase accuracy while simultaneously reducing the GM's tabletop footprint (I basically have to run games next to a laptop for rules look-ups/clarifications, and if I fire from the hip, I sometimes do it wrong - it's a feature of GURPS to have so much information, but its more then my meagre memory can handle.)

Keep running tally for HP/FP/etc for each PC, and some blank spots for NPCs.

Initiative counter

Eye activated dice roller (never tip off the players that your making a roll in secret again!).

Basically I could see google glass being the ultimate interactive GM screen, so that the GM can remove the physical screen separating them from the players (though we don't use a physical screen, instead the GM gets to sit in the big chair with the big arms on either side and just pile stuff up).
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #34
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Alas, alas, no word about Glass.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #35
RevBob

Don't fret; I'm sure you'll be giving us that Glassy-eyed stare in no time...

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #36
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I got my Google tweet. I am scheduled to pick Glass up in San Francisco the afternoon of June 26; I'll fly back the afternoon of the 27th. I don't know what time Google will be through with me on the 26th, but I'll entertain suggestions for entertaining things to do, possibly but not necessarily with Glass on, during the trip.

Yes, I'll queue an Illuminator about this, but the forum gets to hear about it first.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #37
RevBob

I wonder if Glass does OCR well enough to let you look up words and phrases while reading. For that matter, can it use visual/GPS cues to figure out where you are and tell you where the nearest barbeque place is?

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #38
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Congratulations. I hope you have an interesting and inspiring experience.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #39
Miuramir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
... I'll entertain suggestions for entertaining things to do, possibly but not necessarily with Glass on, during the trip.
The immediate thing that springs to mind is that SF is a lot more 3D than many cities, and comparatively compact, but with views in various directions. From an "evoking a sense of place" standpoint, it might be interesting to do a bit of walking around at street level, then get up on a high building; to later compare and contrast with Austin, etc.

From a future of Augmented Reality (AR) gaming (*) standpoint, is there an observation deck that is easy & cheap to get to compared to your planned locations, that you could check out for conceivably playing tactical or even strategic AR by using the actual city view? I'm thinking in terms of furture virtual GEVs and HVYs, or Mid-size and Pickups, moving through the streets you're looking down on. (Coit Tower? Twin Peaks? Compared to some cities, SF seems to be short on public observation decks in the really tall buildings.)

(*) AR is frequently used for Augmented Reality, much of which is games. ARGs on the other hand are Alternate Reality Games, which are (currently!) a different genre altogether... although in an everyone-haz-glass future, AR may be one of the main ways ARGs happen. Interesting terminology clash.
Miuramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #40
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Getting into San Francisco before 10am Wednesday, if all goes well, which gives me plenty of time to make a 5pm appointment. Flying out the next day about 3.