Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Miniatures

Old 03-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Caped Crusader

Default X-Wing Minis game

I saw some people playing the X-Wing Miniatures Game the other day, and my first thought was "Car Wars!!". A treatment similar to this might work. What do you all think?
Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
wickedwalrus

Default Re: X-Wing Minis game

If you haven't already, check out "For those of you who believe CW 2.5 plays "slow," can you give specifics?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
X-Wing's movement system is quite nice.
Quote:
I don't think I was the first (and definitely not only) to mention the game. I wouldn't say a new edition of Car Wars would duplicate what's in X-Wing, but there are tricks in the game that I think should be studied closely.
Quote:
Watch the complete FFG tutorial to the game for an idea of how the different parts work.

X-Wing Video - http://youtu.be/PuhwSma960Y
wickedwalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
jasperrdm

thanks for vid link to tutorial. Now if could find players here in town.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Gnomemullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caped Crusader View Post
I saw some people playing the X-Wing Miniatures Game the other day, and my first thought was "Car Wars!!". A treatment similar to this might work. What do you all think?
ABSOLUTELY!

I had considered making my own 'conversion' of the movement system in Car Wars to mimic X-Wing for my own games. I would LOVE to see that happen in Car Wars 6e. I'd love to see actual, Car Wars Minis even more!

More Exclamations!!
Gnomemullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

It's totally 2D, right? Or are there optional 3D rules?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
GreyHart

2-D. As of right now there aren't any "elevation" rules or anything similar.

R.I.P.T.A. (Rhode Island Pedestrians Targeting Autoduellists) - "You just took a right turn into hell, and ya didn't use ya blinkah!"

PETA (Pedestrians Eradicating Troublesome Autoduellists) - "Keeping our crosswalks mined since 2013."

Do not meddle in the affairs of OGREs, for you are squishy under their treads.
GreyHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyHart View Post
2-D. As of right now there aren't any "elevation" rules or anything similar.
That seems like a problem in a fighter combat game. Didn't Star Warriors have an optional 3D add-on?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That seems like a problem in a fighter combat game. Didn't Star Warriors have an optional 3D add-on?
My experience with space combat games is that 3D adds complexity but doesn't do much for the quality of gameplay. (Unlike air combat games, where the effects of gravity and differing air pressure are actually quite important.)
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #9
GreyHart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm not familiar with Star Warriors so I can't say. I do know that there are a few space combat games that bring in 3D effects, Silent Death and Saganami Island Tactical Simulator are a couple that I can think of off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
My experience with space combat games is that 3D adds complexity but doesn't do much for the quality of gameplay. (Unlike air combat games, where the effects of gravity and differing air pressure are actually quite important.)
I have to agree on 3D in space combat games. It really can slow things down for not that much increase in quality of play unless you want a 'realistic' game. For X-Wing I think the rules are fine without 3D, as if you really watch the movies most of the fighter combat takes place in one plane anyway. It's not 'realistic' space combat, it's WWI/WWII dogfighting in space. So I think FFG's ruleset works quite well to simulate that style. Just my opinion. YMMV. :)

R.I.P.T.A. (Rhode Island Pedestrians Targeting Autoduellists) - "You just took a right turn into hell, and ya didn't use ya blinkah!"

PETA (Pedestrians Eradicating Troublesome Autoduellists) - "Keeping our crosswalks mined since 2013."

Do not meddle in the affairs of OGREs, for you are squishy under their treads.
GreyHart is offline   Reply With Quote