Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Network > GURPS Character Builder

Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Chuck Wagner

Default Can I Still Get Help With Character Builder?

Yes, I know it's GURPS Character Builder. Yes, I know I'm asking about 3rd Edition. But hey it's still GURPS! I'm working on character templates from GURPS Traveller and I'm having a huge amount of trouble.

For example:

I'm having trouble creating character templates. I'm getting a number of errors with groupings, mainly OR and SPECIALIZATIONS at this point.

I've also run into another problem. You need a Group File to create a Data Sheet. The Group File has to be filled with Character Templates. BUT the Group File will ONLY accept Character Sheets - no Templates. I have tried everything I can think of, but I am unable to get the group file to accept a template. What am I doing wrong? Is this what GCB is supposed to do? Please?

I'm trying to put this stuff together for a friend. These problems with GCB are really ruining things. ANY HELP would be appreciated. As always, thanks in advance.

SpecterFan
Chuck Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Mateus

Default Re: Can I Still Get Help With Character Builder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Wagner View Post
Yes, I know it's GURPS Character Builder. Yes, I know I'm asking about 3rd Edition. But hey it's still GURPS! I'm working on character templates from GURPS Traveller and I'm having a huge amount of trouble.

For example:

I'm having trouble creating character templates. I'm getting a number of errors with groupings, mainly OR and SPECIALIZATIONS at this point.

I've also run into another problem. You need a Group File to create a Data Sheet. The Group File has to be filled with Character Templates. BUT the Group File will ONLY accept Character Sheets - no Templates. I have tried everything I can think of, but I am unable to get the group file to accept a template. What am I doing wrong? Is this what GCB is supposed to do? Please?

I'm trying to put this stuff together for a friend. These problems with GCB are really ruining things. ANY HELP would be appreciated. As always, thanks in advance.

SpecterFan
Hello =). There is a especific forum for GCA. And if you are playing GURPS 4th Ed there is a 4th Ed. version on sale. Sorry if I cant help you more. Try to posto here: http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17
Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

I haven't modified GCB's files for about a year. What are you referring to as the group file - .script? .inc? This is the list of files I'm currently using:

GURPS4e.cst <- template
GURPS4e.Filter.inc <- formulae/macro-something
GURPS4e.inc
GURPS4e.pref
GURPS4e.Print.inc
GURPS4e.prt <- print layout
GURPS4e.Readme.txt
GURPS4e.rules
GURPS4e.script
GURPS4e.sct
GURPS4e_Basic.mds <- traits
GURPS4eBonunses.inc
GURPS4ereST.flt
GURPS4ereST-short.flt
GURPS4eText.flt
GURPS4eText-short.flt
gurps4e/GURPS4e.lgo
gurps4e/GURPS4e.png
gurps4e/GURPS4eCampaigns.lgo
Old 04-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Chuck Wagner

A "Group File" is created by the user when working with templates. You create a file with the extension ".group". Into this file you place one or more Character Template Character Sheets with the extension ".cst". This Group File, which you name something meaningful such as "GURPSTravellerTemplates.group", is then used to generate a character template data sheet. This data sheet should have the same name as the group file which was used to generate it with its own extension which I believe is ".mds". This data sheet is then loaded with the File | Load Data Sheet command. This data sheet is the sheet which would be distributed to other users who wanted to make use of these templates.

It looks like all your material is for 4th Edition. All of this work has to do with 3rd Edition. Just a reminder.

I have something new to add:

I can not seem to successfully create a character template. I can create a character template along with the correct groupings. As far as I can tell they are all right. I save the file. When I try to re-open the file it will not open and I get error messages. This thing is driving me crazy!!

Last edited by Chuck Wagner; 04-17-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: A New Problem With Character Builder
Old 04-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

The only .group file I found is in Examples, and its contents are
Code:
?filelist 1
?gamesystem GURPS
?template GURPSFantasy.cst
?pixinch 96 96
?size 192 233
?location 22 22
CorwinBearclaw.chr
DaiBlackthorn.chr
Katrina.chr
RobynMeadows.chr
Did you try editing it manually?

It also seems to me that the templates offered are based on which templates belong to which game system alone.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Chuck Wagner

I'm not sure where or how you're seeing the other files you have listed. The only files I can see are the ones with the .chr file extension. In my GURPS directory I have the following folder arrangement: GURPS/examples/gurps/Templates. In the Templates folder is a large number of character sheets and a group file. If you open the group file via GCB you will see that it is filled with the character sheets in the Templates folder.

Question: Are we supposed to create character templates from character sheets.chr which are added to a group file.group which is then used to generate a character template data sheet?

It is my belief that one is supposed to click File | New. Select the GURPS game system. Then click on Character Template and select GURPSTemplateBuilder.cst and click OK. Then you create your character template, adding various groupings as needed, and save your work when done.

This is what I have been doing. But every time I save my work and close it I can't open it again. Instead I get error messages which I can not even try to correct because I can't open the template I just created!!! Arrgh!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

I suspect we have a mismatch somewhere. I can easily get GCB to make templates just by:
Opening a Template
Editing it
Saving it under a different name As A Template.

And then I can see it among the rest of templates For That Game System (in my case 'GURPS 4/e').
Old 04-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Chuck Wagner

I'm creating templates from scratch. I can't seem to create a template starting with a blank, filling in the data, and saving the end result. Once saved and closed it will not re-open. It's a shame that a program such as this will not perform correctly and there is no support for it. I've basically given up on it I guess.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #9
Feathers

Are there data files for Ultra-Tech gear? The only equipment type files are Low-tech and High-tech. Am I doing it wrong?
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:06 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
Are there data files for Ultra-Tech gear? The only equipment type files are Low-tech and High-tech. Am I doing it wrong?
AFAIK all data files (for 4e, anyway) are mostly Basic Set-era.