Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
vierasmarius

Default Re: Making a static trap as a Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You could probably abuse Rapid Fire and the close stationary targets rule for this.

But if you make the Trigger, "If the 'top' trap when someone steps here", then you can just stack as many uses as you like. It will take an Attack maneuver for each layer, but is that really a problem?
I do like the suggestion of Rapid Fire. It would certainly fit if the attack delivered a volley of timed explosives or proximity mines over an area. Not sure if the enhancement value should be altered in this case. Just using it as-is is probably simplest, and the cost seems fair at first glance.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Grunker

The precise way it's supposed to work is like this:

Power places a trap on the ground. Trap lasts until discharged or a set amount of time. The person that activates the trap is affected by it (the most basic effect being Double Knockdown or Side Effect: Stun).

So no explosions, nothing like that. A fantasy magic trap placed on the ground.
Grunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunker View Post
So no explosions, nothing like that. A fantasy magic trap placed on the ground.
Something to keep in mind is that, if it's not an Area Effect, the victim of the trap will have to contact it directly. I'd suggest giving it at least a 1-hex Area if someone can trigger it by walking over it. A larger Area (but limited to only hit one target) would be appropriate if the attack can "leap" to the victim, like a bolt of lightning or narrow wave of force. If it also requires a to-hit roll, add Bombardment. Modifying the Range and Accuracy of the Innate Attack itself will only affect how the trap is placed.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I do like the suggestion of Rapid Fire. It would certainly fit if the attack delivered a volley of timed explosives or proximity mines over an area. Not sure if the enhancement value should be altered in this case. Just using it as-is is probably simplest, and the cost seems fair at first glance.
It works fine as is, especially if you target a hex within 4 yards. If you want to avoid scattering, just give it Reduced Range.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
Grunker

I bought PU4 and it has nothing that helps me :(

Not a bad supplement but a bit disappointing perhaps.

I am at a loss. As far as I can see from your suggestions, nothing will let me create the desired effect without some work-arounds?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
vierasmarius

Quote:
I bought PU4 and it has nothing that helps me :(

Not a bad supplement but a bit disappointing perhaps.

I am at a loss. As far as I can see from your suggestions, nothing will let me create the desired effect without some work-arounds?
Hrm, that is disappointing. If I were you, I'd just go with the Rapid Fire enhancement. As long as you keep it to modest levels (a max of ~7 "shots") it should be relatively balanced.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
Grunker

Quote:
Hrm, that is disappointing. If I were you, I'd just go with the Rapid Fire enhancement. As long as you keep it to modest levels (a max of ~7 "shots") it should be relatively balanced.
Well, as I said, the traps need to trigger once and then disappear :)

Maybe at higher levels they could stay. But for the basic, first level I need to make the ability to lay an effect filling one hex that triggers when someone moves into the hex to deliver the attack, and then disappears.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #18
vierasmarius

Quote:
Well, as I said, the traps need to trigger once and then disappear :)

Maybe at higher levels they could stay. But for the basic, first level I need to make the ability to lay an effect filling one hex that triggers when someone moves into the hex to deliver the attack, and then disappears.
I thought we provided an answer to that part of it? Delay (Trigger) +50% makes it a trap that goes of when someone gets close enough. There isn't an explicit 1-hex Area Effect enhancement, but extrapolating from the existing Area Effect levels gives a value of about +15%. Without further enhancement, by default the trap will trigger once and disappear. If the trap will also disappear if not triggered within a time limit, the value of Delay will go down a bit. This is probably just a Nuisance Effect if it lasts for hours, to maybe -10% or -20% if it lasts minutes or seconds.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 05-09-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
What's wrong with Crushing Innate Attack (Side Effect(whatever), Triggered Delay (Somebody steps on the "top" trap), RoF 3, Reduced Range 1/10, Increased Range (1/2D only) x2)?
Quote:
There isn't an explicit 1-hex Area Effect enhancement, but extrapolating from the existing Area Effect levels gives a value of about +15%.
The minimum range in GURPS is C. I don't think you need area effect for a trap that goes off in a hex.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #20
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The minimum range in GURPS is C. I don't think you need area effect for a trap that goes off in a hex.
By my reading, that would require the victim to touch the trap itself - meaning they'd have to step directly on it, rather than just passing through the same hex. Basically, the "target" of the Delayed attack is the point at which it's placed, so without an area it only affects that one point. But stretching it to affect a single target in the same hex probably isn't a big deal.

Tags
powers, witcher