Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 04-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
JakeLight

Default Car Wars Update

I saw a post about this on BoardGameGeek but couldn't find anyone talking about it here, but it looks like a new update with some rule refinements just came out:

http://www.sjgames.com/car-wars/errata/cwc_update.html

If a re-post please smack me down with extreme prejudice.

-jake
JakeLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
Parody

Default Re: Car Wars Update

I did a text compare with a previous version of this errata. The only difference was the date. (Perhaps something changed in the markup, much like back in this post?)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Parody; 04-22-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
The only difference was the date. (Perhaps something changed in the markup, much like back in this post?)
The truth is somewhere in between...

I've been updating some old pages to modernize the code. In the process, I discovered that the online CWC Update was missing some pieces (two tables and an illustration). So, while I'm working on the code anyway, I want to restore the missing bits on that page AND prevent future "false alarm" updates. That will have the side effect of fixing some other bad revision dates, like on the UACFH page mentioned in the older post.

Anyway, during all of this, the draft version of the enhanced/fixed CWC Update got uploaded to the wrong place, and I had to replace it with the current/older copy...which, unfortunately, changed the revision date - but nothing else. (Ironically, the version I'm working on has a note that says this.)

So: no rules are being changed, as no new errata have come my way. Some things that got left off of the site Way Back When should get restored soon, some other pages will "get older" to reflect a more accurate content-revision date, and a lot of ugly code is becoming prettier. I'm even keeping an eye on how the pages will look when printed, versus what they look like on a screen.

Basically, I'm more faithfully recreating the older errata sheets and restoring their correct dates, precisely to avoid this sort of problem in the future. I apologize for the temporary temporal slip-up.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob View Post
So: no rules are being changed, as no new errata have come my way. Some things that got left off of the site Way Back When should get restored soon, some other pages will "get older" to reflect a more accurate content-revision date, and a lot of ugly code is becoming prettier. I'm even keeping an eye on how the pages will look when printed, versus what they look like on a screen.
And this is now done. That Compendium Update page noted by the OP has seen quite a bit of this restoration sort of work, and I'm particularly interested in feedback (by email, please!) from people who print that page. The printed version should be a much cleaner errata sheet that doesn't drain your ink cartridges as much.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
mlvalentine

Check out today's update and new level for the Ogre Designer's Edition on Kickstarter. I'm guessing a few of you will be *very* happy about the announcement...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...gners-edition/
Old 05-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
shantke

In the hour since that update, the Ogre kickstarter jumped $4000, that is a lot of Car Wars t-shirts.
shantke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
orphius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlvalentine View Post
Check out today's update and new level for the Ogre Designer's Edition on Kickstarter. I'm guessing a few of you will be *very* happy about the announcement...
I am actually not happy about the announcement. I am not all that big of a fan of Ogre, and I cannot afford to support it. I am, however, a big fan of Car Wars. I would love to see a new edition. I would love to assist with it in some way.

To be honest, I would much rather they have a Kickstarter for Car Wars itself. That way I can at least support it and know that my support is going to the game I really enjoy, not the one I have never played.

Yeah, I sound a bit bitter. I guess unemployment does that. Not that SJG has anything to do with that.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by orphius View Post
I am actually not happy about the announcement. I am not all that big of a fan of Ogre, and I cannot afford to support it. I am, however, a big fan of Car Wars. I would love to see a new edition. I would love to assist with it in some way.

To be honest, I would much rather they have a Kickstarter for Car Wars itself. That way I can at least support it and know that my support is going to the game I really enjoy, not the one I have never played.

Yeah, I sound a bit bitter. I guess unemployment does that. Not that SJG has anything to do with that.
There is an option for you to be involved in the development of the reboot of Car Wars. It may help for you to consider it a Kickstarter precursor to the actual Car Wars Kickstarter campaign.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by orphius View Post

That's exactly the point of the new pledge levels. $23 ($30 outside the US) gets you a Car Wars T-shirt, brings the Car Wars Kickstarter a little closer to reality, and gives you input into the new Car Wars version if that goal is reached. The only connection it has to Ogre is that it's tacked onto the Ogre Kickstarter, so those Ogre fans who are upping their pledges to get new swag are helping you get your new Car Wars game. I'm really not sure how any of that's a bad deal for Car Wars fans.

If nothing else, figure it this way: if the shirt was being sold in W23, it'd cost at least $20, plus at least $7 in shipping, and you wouldn't get the design forum access. This way is cheaper and gives you that perk.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
It may help for you to consider it a Kickstarter precursor to the actual Car Wars Kickstarter campaign.
I think the issue is that it is not a free-cursor.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote