Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #21
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: [PU4, PP] Mental Defense Only vs. Malediction-Proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
Sorry, but that's untrue. Psychic Armor is DR with the +50% version of Malediction-Proof. It protects the character from psionic "spell-like" damaging effects as well as electrokinetic beam/telekinetic bullet/other "attack-like" attacks. See the descriptions on p. 14 and p. 25 in Psionic Powers.
If an attack does not have the Psionic Modifier, Psychic Armor has no effect.

If, instead of Mental Defense Only, the Affliction/Innate Attack/Whatever had no modifier on it at all, Psychic Armor would still have no effect.

So instead of 1000 ways to get around Psychic Armor, there are 1001. I don't understand why this concerns you so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
"In your game, you can game in any way you like, so don't ask here" is not an answer to me.
I was simply offering advice at this point, not trying to give you another answer. I thought you were already satisfied with your answers and simply had a concern about how to break the news to your players. I meant no insult.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #22
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
So if you do decide to add attacks with Mental Defense Only, why not just stipulate that such attacks must also take the -10% limitation, "Affected by Psychic Armor"? That's a simpler way to handle it that may be less likely to confuse your players. Or just call it a 0-point feature of Psychic Armor, which is already pretty expensive to begin with.
And thank you for your suggestion. By adding Affected by Psychic Armor (-10%), we obtain a new meta-enhancement: "Mental Or Anti-Malediction Defense Only, +240%". Like this:
Telepathic Beam [16/level]: Toxic Attack 1d (Accurate +4, +20%; Based on IQ, +20%; Mental Or Anti-Malediction Defense Only, +240%; Increased 1/2D, *20, +20%; Increased Max, *2, +5%; Telepathy, -10%; Variable, +5%) [16]. Notes: Dmg 1d/level tox, Acc 7, Range 200/200, Rof 1. You can fire a collimated beam of pure telepathic energy from your forehead. The beam targets the fundamental psychic fabric that any living structures are based on, and no physical DR works. Instead, mental defense is effective: DR from anti-psi Psychic Armor ability works normally, and if the target has anti-psi Psionic Shield or telepathic Mind Shield, its level is subtracted from damage.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #23
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
If an attack does not have the Psionic Modifier, Psychic Armor has no effect.

If, instead of Mental Defense Only, the Affliction/Innate Attack/Whatever had no modifier on it at all, Psychic Armor would still have no effect.

So instead of 1000 ways to get around Psychic Armor, there are 1001. I don't understand why this concerns you so much.
Because I use Psionic Powers in my campaign and almost all attack and defense abilities that PCs and NPCs can use are psionic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I was simply offering advice at this point, not trying to give you another answer. I thought you were already satisfied with your answers and simply had a concern about how to break the news to your players. I meant no insult.
I'm sorry, I apologize. English is difficult.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
malediction-proof, mental defense only