Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin Collectible Card Game

Old 05-07-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
Majobasil

Default Rule question - Rain of Brains

[Mod note: Please don't quote card text. You can link to the database entry if you want.]

When can/should this be played?

Assuming I’m the attacher, I would want to play this right after check for cheating and upon hire, but it’s not an interrupt. Right after check for cheating, if no one is modifying monster gold cost, then the fight begins and the defender’s defenses/damage trigger.

What happens if the monster dies before I get a chance to cast this? Can this only be cast if my monster survives the defender’s initial defense?

Or Should I cast before the monster is revealed? That basically gives away the power of the play, so probably not.

Awesome card but not sure when/how to play it.

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 05-07-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Majobasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
Aleph
Administrator

Default Re: Rule question - Rain of Brains

Combat is not a single, uninterrupted step. It is made up of several phases, as outlined in the rules.

In particular, as you point out, a legal time to play this would be after the Hire the Monster step (it is not a Monster until it is hired). You could do it before the Weapon Damage step, or if you wanted to make sure the monster was going to survive first, you could wait until after that step and do it before the Monster Damage step, since the monster's Power would not usually matter in its survival in the previous step.

None of these uses require the Mischief card to be an interrupt, as it does not require interrupting an action or ability while it is resolving, but instead operates between steps.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #3
Majobasil

Default Re: Rule question - Rain of Brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleph View Post
Combat is not a single, uninterrupted step. It is made up of several phases, as outlined in the rules.

In particular, as you point out, a legal time to play this would be after the Hire the Monster step (it is not a Monster until it is hired). You could do it before the Weapon Damage step, or if you wanted to make sure the monster was going to survive first, you could wait until after that step and do it before the Monster Damage step, since the monster's Power would not usually matter in its survival in the previous step.

None of these uses require the Mischief card to be an interrupt, as it does not require interrupting an action or ability while it is resolving, but instead operates between steps.
Very clear. Thank you!
Majobasil is offline   Reply With Quote