Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-09-2015, 12:57 AM   #11
lachimba

Default Re: Are the campaigns you run/play in single location or area campaigns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcallistan View Post
I find the game tech level suggests what is a large area, so-

A game where the scope is many small kingdoms within a culture's lands is iron age;
a space game where it's easy to travel across a spiral arm means it's still only weeks to the border / rim in each.

A home base exists in both, in one it's one of two kingdoms, in space, it's any of several homeworlds, or their ship.
The tech level and how far the locations are away from each other in game space is irrelevant in terms of scope.

Bronze Age Alexander the great is a quest/line campaign that all but covers the known world. Ghengis Khan or Christopher Colombus campaigns are all about travel at low tech levels while a TL 8-12 detective story might not leave its home town.

Equally a game set on a space station where Earth is only 24 hours away, but the players rarely go there is a point campaign. That's whether its THS in an orbital campaign or TL ^12.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:15 AM   #12
Lord Azagthoth

Default Re: Are the campaigns you run/play in single location or area campaigns?

My players have their homebase on a personal spacecruiser and jump across the galaxy in matter of days (if the hyperdrive motivator doesn't malfunction). The only location they have visited regularly is Coruscant.

Since I strated the campaign, almost 3 gameyears have passed. It'll take only a few months before the events of the movie "Revenge of the Sith" will occur (strangely, none of the Force users wants to be aligned with the Jedi Order...). Then the Clone Wars and the Republic will end and peace will start under Imperial rule.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG

Last edited by Lord Azagthoth; 01-09-2015 at 01:16 AM. Reason: adding content
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:25 AM   #13
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
My players have their homebase on a personal spacecruiser and jump across the galaxy in matter of days (if the hyperdrive motivator doesn't malfunction). The only location they have visited regularly is Coruscant.

Since I strated the campaign, almost 3 gameyears have passed. It'll take only a few months before the events of the movie "Revenge of the Sith" will occur (strangely, none of the Force users wants to be aligned with the Jedi Order...). Then the Clone Wars and the Republic will end and peace will start under Imperial rule.
They didnt want to change the plot of the movie?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:45 AM   #14
Lord Azagthoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
They didnt want to change the plot of the movie?
Before the start of the campaign I let them answer a few questions. One of them was how their actions would change the story as it happens in the movies. They clearly didn't want to change the major events (so no killing Palpatine before he becomes Chancellor, no killing Padmé before she gave birth to the twins, etc.).

Events that takes place in comics, books, games, or series are changeable (because they sometimes... often contradict with the movies).

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #15
Kalzazz

Tanuki City USA not surprisingly is pretty much set in Tanuki City, however it doesn't really do anything in specific with it . . . Tanuki City is basically a placeholder abstract notion of a city, with details intentionally left blank and/or wholly mutable
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #16
sgtcallistan

Quote:
The tech level and how far the locations are away from each other in game space is irrelevant in terms of scope.

Bronze Age Alexander the great is a quest/line campaign that all but covers the known world. Ghengis Khan or Christopher Colombus campaigns are all about travel at low tech levels while a TL 8-12 detective story might not leave its home town.

Equally a game set on a space station where Earth is only 24 hours away, but the players rarely go there is a point campaign. That's whether its THS in an orbital campaign or TL ^12.
Range vs. scope may be a language / definition problem. The two commonly are used as synonyms in crosswords here.

Range to me is the distance as travelled (by a person or an artillery shell, frex), while scope is the distance or area that can be seen or imagined.

I was comparing these two near-synonyms (IMO) as they impact the character's knowledge or imaginations.
An Iron-age huntsman may be the most-travelled person in his clan / village.

An Ion-aged space campaign might have a limit of the solar system's or galaxy's edge or anything in between.

I hope I express my meaning better.
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:26 AM   #17
Hemlock

The GURPS Supers Campaign I ran used one location. The multi-verse. It started in one city and expanded to the entire country (US), eventually included the entire planet (including low orbit) and then I introduced dimensional rifts in 'wierd' places which allowed me to introduce genetically modified Nazis and their 'pets' from alternate time-lines.

The GURPS Fantasy campaign was more limited ... it only spanned Yrth (the GURPS fantasy 'standard world') as we had hold of a small sailing vessel which traveled the water ways ... and served as a 'base' for our forays into the lands of Yrth.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #18
trooper6

Quote:
Im thinking the main types of point campaigns are

The MegaDungeon

The Mystery/Horror campaign where the action travels only foward in time (or backwards for flashbacks and reveals)

The local guardians campaign (probably the one I'm least interested in)

Any others?
I have both played in and run quite a few single location campaigns. I don't think of them as being in those types at all. Or perhaps I don't think about types that way in general.

Why I usually want to have a single point location is because I want to explore the PCs relationships and responsibilities to a place...or just because it is realistic that people with roots stay more or less rooted.

I've have quite a few "investigator" campaigns, or "local criminal" campaigns...which certainly stay in the city...which weren't necessarily local guardians nor were they mystery/horror...though the investigator campaigns often leaned towards mystery. whswhs's Salles D'Armes, we were all students at a fencing hall in historical Paris. We just....lived our lives trying to achieve our goals...didn't really fall into one of the categories you gave.

Hm...yeah. Actually, I quite often have encountered or created situation/simulationist games. Where everyone creates a fleshed out character who fits in a situation--a character with goals and connections. And then we just play. Drama is created through interpersonal interaction between PCs and between PCs and NPCs. There are antagonists and problems. There are hard choices and struggles. But the game could be about business moguls, or doctors, or mafiosi, or high school students, or newspaper reporters...or whatever.

I suppose you could call that category: Slice of Life or Simulation?

But the slice of life of low level gang members would look different than the slice of life of urban vampires, you know?
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #19
exalted

Currently my Exaltedish campaign has taken place mainly in towns/cities in around a single region roughly covering 800 km from one end to another, with occational visits to the Imperial Capital and the settings Heaven and World of the Dead. It will likely expand in the future to include Hell and a larger distances from their "Home Region" but the campaign is intended to build slowly over years in game time (and real world for that matter) from a local campaign growing like now to regional as the players consolidate power and grow in experience, then in time will become both global and put multiple realms of existence on the game board so to say.
exalted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventures, campaign ideas, campaigns