Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
Dammann

Default Re: If they made a movie of your campaign(s)...

I think I could get a PG-13 rating for my DF campaign. There has been little to no sexual stuff, the killed humanoids are hard to identify with... The most questionable part is of course the violent content, but I am willing to compromise my artistic vision for more loot, re, box office. The scenes in the Church of Death in their torture chamber might be a little off putting, but I think that it could be toned down w/o losing much important to the story.

As played? R, probably. After editing? PG-13, probably. Editing is the most important part of the film, after the script. I can't do much about the script now.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:02 AM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

My current main campaign series, Lost in Dreams, might be able to pass for PG.. If not for the reoccurring persistent nudity. (the naked modifier on jumper is a campaign standard)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:38 AM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

Hmmm, it'd be R for most of them just for the sheer ambiguous situations, I (and sometimes they) put my players in. Prime example, one of my players created a character for my new horror campaign. Everyone else wanted to play this or that character with paranormal abilities. He opted for none and instead choose to be a "normal" at the beginning of the campaign. His concept was an ex-Delta Force that got out of the military and became a neurosurgeon. He bought a bunch of skill levels, high attributes, some luck, and a high Will. The intro story arc was beyond brutal for him. His character didn't know if he was going mad or not and he played it to the tee. After it was all over he realized it was all real. Monsters were real. Voodoo hexes were real. It was all real. So what does he do between the intro arc and the next? He starts learning everything he can on the supernatural world he found himself in, including - but not limited to grabbing a victim and dissecting them while they are still alive. He describes what he's doing, but more than that, he describes why he is doing it as if he's talking to a micro-recorder. The player has a good grasp of biology and all I got to say is he painted a helluva a picture on what a goblin might look like from the inside out. See, the player set it up so that the reason his character was chucked from Delta was because they thought he was crazy. He was the only survivor of his unit and when he told them, a monster ate the others they thought he was nuts. It turns out, he's not so crazy, and it was a ghul that chowed on his buddies. So now he's out to prove he was right, gather evidence, do something - the character is going to end up clashing with the supernatural community at some point, and it's going to be messy. The character is like Sherlock Holmes with a pair of thumbscrews and a grudge. Hell, they captured an ogre last session and next they're going to get answers from him...no matter what. The Doctor's (as he's called) last it of dialogue last session was "Oh, goody. We'll get to find out if ogres really do have layers..." I won't lie. I felt a chill go up my spine at that.

More on the subject at hand, I don't think I've every ran anything below PG-13. My players prefer serious topics and like their gaming like they like their movies, that is, for adults.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:58 AM   #14
combatmedic
Banned

http://movies.about.com/od/miscellan...lm-ratings.htm

It varies from PG to R for me, depending on several factors, including:
  • the setting
  • the PCs
  • the players ages' and preferences
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:29 AM   #15
Agemegos

I'm really not sure. I haven't run a torture scene on camera since 1990 (though PCs have encountered NPCs and bodies with visible signs of brutal torture), nor an explicit sex scene since 1994 (though characters have been explicitly stated to have had or to have been interrupted during sex). I sometimes have campaigns or adventures in settings or on planets where there is no nudity taboo, resulting in what would be prolonged nudity if it were filmed but that in a game is never mentioned. On the other hand, if there is a shoot-out while cops are serving a warrant on a locker in locker-room it's in a locker-room and some of the NPCs are starkers. And you can't shoot someone with a DEXAX pistol without making a mess. I think that if you filmed that as written it would get NC-17 for violence and nudity.

A lot of the time the difference between PG-13 and R is what things look like. Who can tell.

Most sessions of most campaigns are about PG-13, sometimes down to PG.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 08-23-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Agemegos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:46 AM   #16
Michael Cule

Well, I think of my games more as a TV series than a movie. Definitely 'post-watershed' in British terms. Possibly 'only-on-HBO' in American. Really heavy non-heroic violence is rare but does happen on occasion: my Wednesday night group have tortured (once but it was a bad idea) and threatened the use of torture (more than once and been very convincing about it: that worked better). Bloody but heroic combat is commonplace. Sexual themes, though not happening in detail, are often plot points.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #17
Nymdok

PG-13 to R for
Graphic Violence
Strong Language
Adult Themes relating to Moral Dilemmas.

But no sexual content. I've no desire to NPC the other side of that encounter.

Nymdok

Edited for content, to run in the time allotted and formatted to fit your screen.

Last edited by Nymdok; 08-27-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #18
Phoenix_Dragon

Most of my campaigns would involve one or more of: extreme violence and/or gore, significant amounts of nudity, explicit sex (With a fair representation of kinkier or "darker" examples), torture (Whether physical or mental), use of substances and methods that alter mental state (Not just restricted to drugs: magical manipulation shows up somewhat often), and quite a few bits that address major moral and ethical questions that often result in some pretty dark things happening. Usually the PCs are on the "good" side of this stuff, but it's still very much there.

A few of my campaigns might be rated R, and there might be the rare one in there that didn't break PG-13, but most would be well beyond the threshold for NC-17.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #19
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
But no sexual content. Im not NPCing your love monkey.
As someone who regularly runs campaigns with explicit sexual scenes, and who creates and runs NPCs who are involved in such scenes, I find your description of what I'm doing discourteous and indeed abusive. Would you use comparable language to describe someone who included some other activity that doesn't interest you? Would you take it well if I used similar language for a type of GMing that you do but that doesn't appeal to me?

There are nine-and-sixty ways of constructing tribal lays, and every single one of them is right. As Kipling told us.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #20
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
As someone who regularly runs campaigns with explicit sexual scenes, and who creates and runs NPCs who are involved in such scenes, I find your description of what I'm doing discourteous and indeed abusive. Would you use comparable language to describe someone who included some other activity that doesn't interest you? Would you take it well if I used similar language for a type of GMing that you do but that doesn't appeal to me?

There are nine-and-sixty ways of constructing tribal lays, and every single one of them is right. As Kipling told us.

Bill Stoddard
Never my intent to be discourteous or abusive. I was simply saying I dont do it.
What you do with your group is your groups business.

In an effort to avoid threadlock, Ill edit the post.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaigns, movies, rating