Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2022, 04:12 PM   #1
Plane

Default projecting an illusion of being taller so people can't shoot you in the head

Let's say you're a 5ft psychic who can make others view them as being a 7ft tall hero.

Hypothetically if someone tries to take a head-shot at you, they will whiff over your head and miss, hitting the illusion of a head that you project.

I'm not sure how you'd work this type of thing though.

Powers 149's "Illusion Disguise" uses "Elastic Skin" but I don't imagine that's meant to actually alter the perception of your height.

Powers 94's illusion ability seems to be focused on creating illusionary objects separate from you so I don't know if it would cover "projecting an illusion over myself" situations.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 04:51 PM   #2
TGLS

Default Re: projecting an illusion of being taller so people can't shoot you in the head

Seems like a case of obscure with Defensive, Stealthy and a custom limitation to reflect that it doesn't work if someone aims low.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 04:57 PM   #3
Sorenant

Default Re: projecting an illusion of being taller so people can't shoot you in the head

If you already got a power to create illusions, maybe a perk or even a feature?
It's useful against aimed shots to the head by people who doesn't know you, but as soon as they catch on or give up and aim your center of mass it's not going to be useful (might even actually hit the head!)... It sounds like a defensive version of Dirty Trick to me.
It's probably more useful to blur your entire figure, then it would be straight Obscure (Defensive) giving penalties to hit.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:47 PM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
It's useful against aimed shots to the head by people who doesn't know you, but as soon as they catch on or give up and aim your center of mass it's not going to be useful (might even actually hit the head!).
It makes me wonder how aiming at a visual center-of-mass would work though, like even if they know "his head is at heart height" there might still be a penalty since they can't actually see it.

Probably easier to aim at the neck (even though face and neck are same penalty) since neck is less mobile than face.

Makes me wonder how you RP catching on. In a mundane world most people would prob assume they just missed if they shot (or even punched) at an illusionary head and didn't connect.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:50 PM   #5
Sorenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
It makes me wonder how aiming at a visual center-of-mass would work though, like even if they know "his head is at heart height" there might still be a penalty since they can't actually see it.

Probably easier to aim at the neck (even though face and neck are same penalty) since neck is less mobile than face.

Makes me wonder how you RP catching on. In a mundane world most people would prob assume they just missed if they shot (or even punched) at an illusionary head and didn't connect.
Treat head hits like vital hits on normal target? Both are smaller subset of a larger zone you can't really see but roughly knows where it is.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:12 PM   #6
Lovewyrm

You missed! That's what you get for not shooting center mass!

Alright, I'll get him in the heart. POW!

"The bullet hits you in the head, roll against chunky salsafication"
Edit: Damn. Time for a strong coffee... missing a similar post, twice.
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:35 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Maybe some sort of limitation on "No Head", specifying that you do have a head but that it can't be aimed at. No Head (concealed Head -50%) [4], or something like that.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elastic skin, illusion