Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 07-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #61
panton41

Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
I installed:
"riched20" and "vb6run"

I looked for these, but couldn't find them in winetricks:
"native-oleaut32" and "fontsmooth-rgb" or "fontsmooth-bgr"
I DID install oleaut32.dll rather than native-oleaut32.dll
I do recall winetricks changing a lot from the time I wrote the original directions but those choices were still there, just buried under menus.

Last I recall you do need the native oleaut32 but I haven't installed it on Linux in years. I do have an Ubuntu image on my spare drive I can boot to to test.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #62
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
I do recall winetricks changing a lot from the time I wrote the original directions but those choices were still there, just buried under menus.

Last I recall you do need the native oleaut32 but I haven't installed it on Linux in years. I do have an Ubuntu image on my spare drive I can boot to to test.
Thanks for checking. I'll keep trying options in winetricks and hope I figure it out.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #63
Oranor

native_oleaut32 is not in the list of winetricks, but when you specify it on the command line it works nevertheless.

For me

winetricks native_oleaut32

did the trick
Oranor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #64
doulos05

I'm using Ubuntu 13.04 and PlayOnLinux to install it, it installed just fine but it's telling me that Picture %1 is missing and crashing when I try to launch it. I've tried the same install file on my Windows desktop and it works just fine so I know my install file isn't corrupted. Any ideas?
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #65
tantric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
I usually type:
Code:
> WINEPREFIX="/explicit/path/to/your/directory/" wine gca4setup.exe

> WINEPREFIX="/explicit/path/to/your/directory/" wine gca*patch*exe

> WINEPREFIX="/explicit/path/to/your/directory/" wine gca*data*exe
Then follow the wizards each time. The console will display a lot of debugging info each time, but it supposed to.
Although the initial bit with winetricks requires a final /, this part won't work with it. Ubuntu 12.04 Wine1.3. Except when I did it again, and it required them

Getting Wine1.3 to install is a BEAST. It wants to update to 1.4 because it can't find libesd0. Find DCOM98.EXE on the web and put it in your gca founder and let Wine run it in Win98 mode. This supplies you with oleaut32 or whatever. I just copied all of system32 and put in in my GURPS Character Assistant folder (which is not the GCA folder). Also, installing in the GCA dir utterly failed for me - it's in .wine (that's hidden wine) in home.

Last edited by tantric; 04-03-2014 at 05:48 PM.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:22 AM   #66
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
Although the initial bit with winetricks requires a final /, this part won't work with it. Ubuntu 12.04 Wine1.3. Except when I did it again, and it required them

Getting Wine1.3 to install is a BEAST. It wants to update to 1.4 because it can't find libesd0. Find DCOM98.EXE on the web and put it in your gca founder and let Wine run it in Win98 mode. This supplies you with oleaut32 or whatever. I just copied all of system32 and put in in my GURPS Character Assistant folder (which is not the GCA folder). Also, installing in the GCA dir utterly failed for me - it's in .wine (that's hidden wine) in home.
To be perfectly frank, I personally won't support anything but the latest release of Wine with these write-ups (as of this writing Wine 1.7 is the suggested branch from WineHQ) because for what little I still bother to maintain this thread (I use Windows primarily and only use Linux and Wine on VMWare) I can't be bothered to install an obsolete version. Wine 1.3 is several years old and every new iteration added additional compatibility across the board that bugs in such an old version might be fixed in newer ones. It makes no sense to use such an outdated version.

For that matter at one point I had to rewrite the instructions because Wine pushed out an update which broke the use certain native DLL because the Wine dlls were finally mature enough.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros

Last edited by panton41; 04-04-2014 at 04:26 AM.
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #67
tantric
Banned

WHAT? It works under 1.7?!? I thought it had to be 1.3.11! And it's an unholy bitch to install that. At one point I killed apt-get and Ubuntu Software installer - they would both lock down. And then again, installing the wine-gecko nonsense.

Okay, does it work better under 1.7? Does the Quickview screen work?

Hmm, would you consider passing the torch to me? It would give me a position here, and I think I could handle it.

Last edited by tantric; 04-04-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #68
tezcatlipoca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Evil View Post
I've used Wine on a to run GCA on a couple of Linux distributions in the past, but I've recently encoutered a strange issue and was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on how to resolve it.

I've followed the instructions here to install GCA under Wine on two machines - one running Fedora 17 and one running Linux Mint 13. In both cases, the program seems to run fine, but when I attempt to preview a character I get a blank sheet. Furthermore, if I attempt to print out a character using either at CUPS-PDF printer or my old hp LaserJet 1300n, I get a blank sheet.

In addition, if I attempt to view the options for any installed character sheet (including the default and the current version of Phoenix), the program tells me that no options are available.

I've discovered that the following message is written to the debug.log when I attempt to print:

modPrintReport:PrintReport: Action: Setting script control: Error -2147467259: Automation error
Print: Setting Options.
modPrintReport:PrintReport: Action: Setting script control: Error 445: Object doesn't support this action

I should note that on the Linux Mint 13 machine is running Wine version 1.4-0. As normal, I've used Winetricks to install riched20, vb6run, and vcrun6. In addition, I've configured the system to use native-oleaut32.

Anybody got any thoughts?

UPDATE: I don't know if it's relevant, but the following error also appears in the terminal window when I attempt to print:

fixme:winspool:SetJobW Ignoring everything other than document title
I'm experiencing exactly the same problem running GCA under OSX 10.9. It's really disappointing 'cause otherwise it runs really fast; faster than it does under Windows on the same machine.
tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #69
ianthealy

I'm also having the problem of only being able to print/preview blank pages. I also don't seem to be able to export any characters. However, the rest of the application is working just fine. I have cups-pdf installed.
ianthealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #70
tantric
Banned

Notes on upgrading Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.10

I copied my .wine folder from my home dir, then did a sudo apt-get install wine1.4 on the new system, then sudo apt-get install winetricks. GCA4 wouldn't display quickview until I installed CUPS *and* hplip and hpcups, not sure about that, but it was pretty painless. I noticed it install the up to date version of gecko, whatever that is. GCA is *much* faster now, but it still misplaces the skills button in quickview, I've never found a solution to that.

Tags
linux