Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
destructopunch

Default A few questions kneepads related

So the other night some friends and I were playing. I was kind of low on the level front and wanted to use my kneepads of allure to draw a friend into combat with the monster that I was facing.
We were about two points short of beating it, I think he may have been holding back some cards that could help but am unsure of that, I could also have used berserk (I was using both a Warrior and Wizard class) discarded some cards and won. Before any of that could be done though, he played the "Instant wall" card and used it on himself leaving me behind. So I am wondering if that is a legal move? The card says that it allows one or two people to escape, so can he choose to use it only on himself in combat that he was forced into with the kneepads? Can he use it at all if I haven't decided that we are running yet? I was able to charm the monster by discarding my hand, but I am pretty sure that we would have won had he not done that and ditched me.

Also, is it legal to use the kneepads as a wizard to draw someone into combat, then escape either through discarding my hand, or rolling to run and forcing them to try and run also in hopes that bad stuff happens to them? Also, are you able to run from a monster (for the same reason) that your combined strength could beat in order to try and force "bad stuff" onto some one? Or if you are capable of beating it without using any extra cards from your hand are you forced to fight?

If any of this seems unclear please say so and I will clarify.
destructopunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: A few questions kneepads related

Only the person whose combat it is gets to decide whether to Run Away. Instant Wall is played AFTER that decision is made, to make the escape automatic. So they used it incorrectly.

Yes, it is legal to get help, then Run Away and try to leave them facing Bad Stuff. However, you cannot Run Away unless you are currently losing to the Monster(s), so if your combined total is beating the Monster(s), you will have to do something to change that if you want to Run Away (play Monster Enhancers, play one-shots to help the Monster side, add another Monster with a Wandering Monster card, etc.).
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
destructopunch

Excellent, thank you very much.
I am assuming that it is okay to "instant wall", after the decision to run has been made, on just one person and it doesn't have to be used on both. Just want to make sure on this one also.

Thank you for the super quick and precise reply.
destructopunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
Mister Ed

I'd have to look at the precise wording on the card to answer that with certainty, so I'll let somebody with access to that text answer that one. I THINK that is the case, though.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
JimABassPlayer

While the card does say "or" (which would seem to imply an option as to whether the person who played it may choose to apply the card to his or her helper), given the nature of walls, (and assuming that the wall stands between the monster and the munchkins) I would imagine that such would be applicable to both players involved in the combat, once implemented.
JimABassPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimABassPlayer View Post
While the card does say "or" (which would seem to imply an option as to whether the person who played it may choose to apply the card to his or her helper), given the nature of walls, (and assuming that the wall stands between the monster and the munchkins) I would imagine that such would be applicable to both players involved in the combat, once implemented.
While using "real world" logic like that is dangerous in Munchkin, this is indeed correct. Here's an official quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
You don't get to choose who escapes. It's designed to let all the combatants escape. After some searching, it seems I did cover this before. I thought so, but sometimes my memory likes to play tricks on me. At least I know I'm being consistent. :-)

Tags
combat, instant wall, kneepads of allure, running away, wizard