Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #41
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [IC] Strange Neighbors

Word spreads on the Honor of the Earth of the ship they are passing. Lots of people wish to talk with the generation ship, about almost every topic. It breaks up the monotony of the journey.

Meanwhile, Archimedes is in broadcast range of both of you, and has sent his congratulations to the new nation, and welcomed them to "back to civilization"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorin Thorha View Post
"Let the politicians figure that out. Our job is to keep our passengers safe and see them safely down to a new planet. As longas they don't make trouble I don't care what grand ideas they come up with."
Miruka lips grow tight. "are you a freighter captain or an admiral of humanity?"
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #42
Dorin Thorha

Quote:
Miruka lips grow tight. "are you a freighter captain or an admiral of humanity?"
Crewey isn't fazed by this. "I've been ordered to bring this ship safely to Alpha Centauri and establish the IAH's claim to Space, and that is exactly what I am going to do. I will not burn bridges that the Council back home may want to cross, and I will certainly not start a war while the Mesubrains forge ahead of us into the unknown."

[ooc] made Bad Temper SC roll

Captain Crewey's official response is that for the time being the Honor of the Earth will treat the Challenger IV as a friendly autonomous entity, and to lay the groundwork (under Gale's direction) for cultural exchange to facilitate further cooperation (with an eye towards eventually assimilating them. He'll be willing to share non-starship or military tech with them, especially stuff like hydroponics that serves a humanitarian purpose.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #43
momothefiddler

"Greetings to The Republic of Quads! I am Director Adair, the head of this mission. Let me welcome you back to the community of Man - I hope your sojourn has been pleasant. While I don't believe we have the space to take you with us, is there anything we can do to make the remainder of your journey more pleasant?"
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #44
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
"Greetings to The Republic of Quads! I am Director Adair, the head of this mission. Let me welcome you back to the community of Man - I hope your sojourn has been pleasant. While I don't believe we have the space to take you with us, is there anything we can do to make the remainder of your journey more pleasant?"
Martin takes the greeting graciously. "we appreciate your support and recognition of our new state. Your captain has been providing us with much of the news of home. "

"Archimedes was kind enough to leave us plans for the new drive. We should be able to make it alpha centari within a month of you and archimedes." his voice drops bitterly "Though I admit many of us had our hearts set on getting there first. We knew this was a possibility, but we hoped it wasn't. On the bright side, now we can see more of the universe than we ever hoped to."

The tech exchange is well underway. Von Galbiso has some plants that his counterpart, Ronald Morris, would like to get. Almost all of the data can be exchanged, but the Quads don't have the tech to build vegetables from scratch. (which is a relief, as every mesubrain ship has the capability and along with it the ability to genetically change humans).

Miruka is content to be upset with Captain Crewey until Adair gives his welcome. He storms up to the director, and fumes "You just publicly recognized them? Just like that? with out even consulting anyone?"
Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #45
momothefiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Miruka is content to be upset with Captain Crewey until Adair gives his welcome. He storms up to the director, and fumes "You just publicly recognized them? Just like that? with out even consulting anyone?"
Adair turns to Miruka, eyes narrowed. "I'm sorry. I didn't realise they needed your permission to exercise their basic rights. As far as I can tell, the Republic of Quads has just as much legitimacy as the IAH. And before you get your panties more in a twist, keep in mind that I said nothing about the official stance of the IAH. I, personally, am treating them as people because they are. I can't keep you from treating them as animals and I would expect no more from you, but I would appreciate it if you'd stop taking limited time that I could be using to help these people."
Old 07-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #46
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"I'm sorry. I didn't realise they needed your permission to exercise their basic rights. As far as I can tell, the Republic of Quads has just as much legitimacy as the IAH. And before you get your panties more in a twist, keep in mind that I said nothing about the official stance of the IAH. I, personally, am treating them as people because they are. I can't keep you from treating them as animals and I would expect no more from you, but I would appreciate it if you'd stop taking limited time that I could be using to help these people."
Miraku scowls "people they may be, but they aren't part of humanity. And you know what that implies about their 'rights'".

President Martin Snow sends a message "Crew and Passenger of The Honor of the Earth, Agents of the International Alliance of Humanity, and neighbors, you have kindly offered much technological aid to the people of Quad, and we are grateful. One of the things you have offered is new plants developed on sol in our absence. The Manager of Agriculture has informed me that this must be given physically. We could have freighters meet each other, but this is a great opportunity for us to meet face to face. I invite you to do so, though I ask that you inform me what ships and exactly who you will be sending"

Last edited by ericthered; 07-27-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #47
momothefiddler

"I don't even want to know what your definition of 'humanity' is."

Adair contacts whoever would be in charge of arranging such a trip and requests a position on the list. He also requests a copy of the Constitution of The Republic of Quads to look over on his way over there.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #48
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Adair contacts whoever would be in charge of arranging such a trip and requests a position on the list. He also requests a copy of the Constitution of The Republic of Quads to look over on his way over there.
The trip needs to be ordered by one of the three leaders. He can delegate it to whoever.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #49
momothefiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The trip needs to be ordered by one of the three leaders. He can delegate it to whoever.
In that case he authorizes the trip and picks someone to arrange it. Does he get the constitution?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #50
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
In that case he authorizes the trip and picks someone to arrange it. Does he get the constitution?
He gets a preliminary document. You can see thats its a wood-style colony charter edited to include the trappings of a democracy. Very popular form of preliminary document, and frowned on by currently policy. They were accepted in droves in the middle stages of the war though. It appears to be on something called a 'wiki', and you have been given an account to a much bigger network that includes things like a list of every member in the colony, a colony history, and several areas where citizens can debate policies, and so on. It is much older than the document, and you realize that they actually are not a republic, they're trying to pull off a pure democracy that was already effectively in place.

Miraku insists that you take security with you "to ensure no sabotage or hostage taking takes place." A couple of your subordinates wishes to change ships and stay with the Quads.

Von Galbiso will need to either come or send a subordinate. I'm assuming that Abigail will also want to come, and Kendel will end up flying them in if he requests it.

Tags
strange neighbors