Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #21
Dorin Thorha

Default Re: [IC] Strange Neighbors

After recalling the scout ship, Captain Crewey contacts the ship's chief engineer and requests that he look into the possibility of getting some extra speed out of the drive, or any other measures that might help widen their lead on the Mesubrains. He'll also consult with the top military and colonial officers so they can adjust their plans accordingly now that they know they aren't alone. Later, he will send the recordings and transcripts of the communication to his sister, for analysis.

[ooc] Not sure if you can use Detect Lies/Empathy on recordings, but if so she does, at skill 16 and 13 respectively.

After hearing about the contact that was made with the Mesubrains, Abigail decides she had better research all available information about them.

[ooc] Seeing as how she's stuck on a months-long voyage with nothing better to do, she will be using Improvement Through Study to pick up a many as possible of of Cultural Familiarity (Mesubrain), Psychology (Mesubrain), and an additional point in Expert Skill (Xenology).
Old 07-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #22
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The chief hyperdrive engineer, one of the original inventors of the current version, got excited when he heard the captain's question.

"Its certainly possible, tweaking the engine settings could lead to a 10% increase in speed. With your permission, we'd like to start tweaking with the engine. We will slow down for a few days though while we are making the adjustments"
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #23
Poonbahbah

Dewey helps to make the adjustments happen as fast and safely as possible.
Poonbahbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #24
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonbahbah View Post
Dewey helps to make the adjustments happen as fast and safely as possible.
You're going to be directing the changes. The design looks good, now we're to the implementation. If you want to go ahead with the adjustments, roll vs administration (to avoid undue delays). if you fail you are slowed down that many light days.

afterwards make a roll for the crew vs 12. The margin of success is the % increase in time.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #25
Poonbahbah

La sigh
Admin vs 12, 16 and crew vs 12, 13
Old 07-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #26
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonbahbah View Post
La sigh
Admin vs 12, 16 and crew vs 12, 13
ouch, you are now four days behind and traveling slightly slower, if anything.

while you are no longer in contact with Archimedes, he does occasionally leave message pods that broadcast the features of space in front of you.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #27
Poonbahbah

Sorry boss. His plans looked good. I'm not sure if they aren't or if my boys done messed up somewhere. If'n you want we can try to redo or undo what's been done. An' this time I won't put some of the less experienced guys in charge. Trying ta build up their experience may of been a bad idea in hindsight. Still hopefully they'll perform bettah in the future. So again, sorry. I coulda handled this better.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #28
Dorin Thorha

Swallowing his disappointment, Captain Crewey gruffly dismisses the crew boss, and shifts his efforts to ensuring that the information left by Archimedes is collected and checked for accuracy as much as possible.

[ooc] made SC roll for Bad Temper-- barely.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #29
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Day 95:

The military types have stepped up their training, and are taking it a little more seriously. Dr. Dewey has devolved deep into mesubrain culture, and Crewey Howe has spent a good amount of time analyzing just went wrong.

Captain Dewey has maintained his humor, though Archimedes' constant messages are beginning to get under his skin. You have left the Oort cloud of the solar system, and the objects (and hopefully the somewhat condescending messages) are becoming rarer.

Then you get another message about objects from Archimedes, complete with a foot note:

"We found the Challeger IV I assume you guys know about that ship. Well, if not, lets just say these folks have been going to Centari for quite some time. They were happy to here new voices. Its also good to know all three of us are on the same track. Your lovable enemy, Archimedes."

you did not know about the Challenger IV, which was launched in the early days of the conflict. From the data given, The ship appears to be about 2/3's the size of your ship, but its speed is among the fastest you've seen for that size of vessel.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #30
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

When the Challenger IV comes into scanning range, the data is confirmed. In addition to what can only be described as a very small generation ship, you pick up Archimedes matching pace with the craft. The mesubrain sends the message

"good to see your still alive! try to keep up this time! oh, and I told my friends here about everything that happened since they left. And I left them the drive plans. I figured I might as well do something while waiting for you slow pokes."

Shortly afterwards, the mesubrain ship greatly increases its speed, and heads off towards Alpha centari.

He is 99 light hours ahead of you (25 hours at current speed). If you continue at full speed, you will have 50 hours when you can talk with the crew of the Challenger IV, more if you decide to stop.

Tags
strange neighbors