Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-09-2018, 06:32 PM   #1
jason taylor

Default Survival (Urban).

Is there one distinct from Streetwise? If so what would it include?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Survival (Urban).

Yes,though its not been listed often.
Streetwise is the social skill of dealing with "rough company".
A Survival (Urban) skill would help you figure out and find good places to eat and sleep and how to minimize conflicts with the law.
Things like what type of stores/restaurants tend to throw out food that is still safe to eat and the best times to be there. How to recognize more or less heavily patrolled areas, where to panhandle, etc.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
Not

It's Urban Survival in Basic.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Is there one distinct from Streetwise? If so what would it include?
Streetwise is social, Survival covers physical stuff.

If everybody else in the city was Raptured up last midnight, your Streetwise skill is now effectively useless, but you are going to really *need* Urban Survival. It's a pretty handy skill in ruined cities too.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
Vaevictis Asmadi

I wonder why it isn't a TL skill, though. The ancient Babylon (or its ruins) is probably a somewhat different environment from 34th century Tokyo.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
jason taylor

So if I am running from the Nazis, Streetwise will help me negotiate with the boss of the Blue Parrot, and Survival (Urban) would help me stow away aboard a ship bound for Casablanca?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
tshiggins

Quote:
So if I am running from the Nazis, Streetwise will help me negotiate with the boss of the Blue Parrot, and Survival (Urban) would help me stow away aboard a ship bound for Casablanca?
Yes, on the first. However, Survival (Urban) would tell you which alleys will block the wind and provide decent shelter from rain or snow (or blistering heat); which restaurants to check behind for food (or which churches/mosques/temples might distribute meals); which shops throw out sturdy boxes (or shipping wrap) suitable for creating shelter; and which buildings have outside spigots that provide fresh water.

Survival (Urban) is the skill used by homeless people who live on the streets, or scavengers who live in ruined cities. It's where to find food, water, shelter and clothing.

If you want to sneak aboard a ship, you'd need Stealth. If you wanted to find a place to stow away where you'd be least likely to be found by the crew, I'd want a roll against Professional Skill (Sailor) with success granting a bonus to Stealth.

If you want to find a guy who knows a guy who might know a crew willing to risk smuggling a wanted fugitive to Casablanca, that's Streetwise. :)

Last edited by tshiggins; 11-09-2018 at 09:13 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:12 AM   #8
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
However do note that the skill is Urban Survival and is on page 228 of the Basic Set. It notes, among other things "This talent covers the physical part of staying alive in a city environment, whether it’s overpopulated or empty. (The social problems of city survival are covered by Streetwise skill.)"

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
namada
Banned

To complicate things, there's also the Scrounging skill. . .
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #10
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
If you want to sneak aboard a ship, you'd need Stealth. If you wanted to find a place to stow away where you'd be least likely to be found by the crew, I'd want a roll against Professional Skill (Sailor) with success granting a bonus to Stealth.

If you want to find a guy who knows a guy who might know a crew willing to risk smuggling a wanted fugitive to Casablanca, that's Streetwise. :)
Side note: for those situations, I'd also throw Smuggling into the mix.