Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #11
Skarg

Default Re: Cost of advanced weapon talents

To me, the reason I would want several levels of expensive combat talents (e.g. expert/master weapon, shield, and unarmed combat) is because the game has a focus on combat and on the possibility of surviving very experienced characters becoming better at fighting even after years of combat experience that give them an interesting edge over others, and that is not represented just by increasing general DX for all purposes to crazy-high levels, as in original TFT.

I don't like that the best fighters in my old TFT campaign had huge attribute totals including huge DX that also meant that they weren't just really experienced fighters, they were also the best at any other physical talent they might have, even if they didn't use those talents particularly much on adventures.

So I like that new ITL offers things to do with piles of combat experience to represent very capable fighters (other than giving them huge DX). If the costs were lower, everyone with the prereqs would snap them up quickly and it'd just be like an extra bonus for having those prereqs, and the experienced fighters would be back to just piling on DX.

And I like that the effects aren't too extreme. I like incremental increases and I don't want all Masters to out-class all Experts who outclass all non-Experts.

As for other professions, I think the main other profession TFT focuses on is wizards, and they certainly do have plenty of things to learn. These talents don't come close to the things wizards can keep spending XP on. Non-wizard professions are indeed lacking in things to develop talents for, but I think that's because that's outside the game focus. If I were to run a campaign where the world of art was a major element, I would add a whole slew of detailed art talents. If I wanted to detail the differences between world-class physickers, I might also develop a whole range of things for them to learn, and like the weapon expert/master talents, they would offer minor improvements that spread out the abilities I think should be possible for someone to develop in that field if they devote their life to it, with costs that can absorb the effort of a life.

Of course, if I add Physicker (and especially Art) etc talent trees, I'm probably going to want to have separate categories of XP and/or more detailed study & aptitude rules, too. Or not... it would be fun to have a warrior character who puts all his XP from combat into advanced art talents - the spectacles of blood and horror he has seen inspire and drive him into master works of art - he must see more to bring his calligraphy to the next level! Ok, I totally want to play that character now...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
TippetsTX

I'm not opposed to advanced weapon talents like Weapon Expertise/Mastery, at least not conceptually. It does matter how they are implemented, however, and 'cost' is one of those elements that could be better balanced IMO.

That said, I also support options w/ less complexity like how the Missile Weapon talent stacks or the following talents proposed over in the TFT House Rules forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
If I might, I would like to share my version of this, a little something I worked up somewhere between 1986 and 1988.

I developed three talents to improve combat capability.

IQ 8 Weapon Familiarization (1) Selected on one specific weapon, usually the one the fighter used most. Provides a +1 DX with that weapon.

IQ 9 Weapon Specialization (1) Can be taken on any weapon the fighter has taken Familiarization with. Provides a +1 Damage with that weapon.

IQ 10 Weapon Proficiency (1) Can be taken on any weapon that the fighter has taken both Familiarization and Specialization for. Originally, I designed this to allow a second attack in a turn with that weapon. (I've now changed it to be a further +1 DX and +1 Damage.

A fighter who took all three would have a +2 DX and +2 Damage with that weapon. So, a broadsword 2D6 Damage would instead do 2D6+2.
I always want to be cautious about expanding talent 'trees' to much, however.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #13
Skarg

Yeah, I mainly like that there are some advanced combat talents and that they don't give out too much for their experience cost. The specifics I haven't tested much yet, and I would be interested in seeing some alternative ideas as you suggest.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote