Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
L.J.Steele

Default Bio-Tech and Created Diplomat

I'm slowly working up a character proposal for a GURPS Space game. TL11-ish. Setting will be going into the 2nd generation with new PCs.

Character would be created by one of the alien allies to the human colonists -- an insectiod race that has psi and TL11ish bio-engineering. The aliens already created "Speaker" -- an alien/human hybrid that could talk to them and the first-generation PCs, and learn from the humans.

Design goal from the alien's PoV is a diplomat/trader who can interact with the humans and go with them on their ships into space. (The aliens hate being above ground and are naturally telepathic, so don't do well outside the hive.)

I'm looking at Bio-Tech and pondering how to model some 1x-2x day pheromone abilities. (Takes time to re-charge, so not always ons)

Bio-Tech has some models, but I'm looking for other options

(1) Something like pepper spray or tear gas (leave me alone!)
(2) Something that causes a fright check (go away!)
(3) Something that calms people (maybe modeled on the Basic bardic stuff))
(4) Something that persuades people/improves reaction mods (ditto)
(5) Something that marks a target with a distinctive tracker scent (out of human range)
(6) Something that can leave a trail with a distinctive tracker scent (out of human range)

Other ideas?
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Bio-Tech and Created Diplomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
The cheap option is Accessory (Pepper Sprayer). The more in-depth option is going to be an Affliction of Agony, Blindness, and/or Retching. If you want to be really nasty, a corrosive Innate Attack with Agony/Retching as a Side Effect (Blindness is handled by hitting the target in the Face, which splashes into the Eyes).

Quote:
Terror.

Quote:
A simple reaction mod (see below) may do this, particularly when combined with a skill roll to calm the character down normally.

Quote:
That's pretty much bog-standard Dominance Pheromones (BT48). Optionally, remove the Accessibility so it works on any species (but note this makes it much less realistic).

Quote:
(5) Something that marks a target with a distinctive tracker scent (out of human range)
(6) Something that can leave a trail with a distinctive tracker scent (out of human range)
I can't really think of anything other than Accessory here, honestly.

Quote:
Other ideas?
For an ethical diplomat, I think you've got things covered pretty well. Pheromones that turn a target into a slave (afflicting Gullibility for the low level version, Slave Mentality for a higher level), or that turn a group of people into ticking-time-rage-bombs (afflicting Bad Temper and Berserk) might be of some use for a much less ethical diplomat.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post

For an ethical diplomat...
Is that like a celibate hooker?

Seriously, a pheromone which inflicts Slave Mentality is only effective if the other side does not know it. That is a pretty fast way to get a personna non grata.

Also even if the secret is maintained it must be used thriftily. If other powers start to suspect that negotiations are no longer useful to them they will simply stop negotiating.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Is that like a celibate hooker?
Heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Seriously, a pheromone which inflicts Slave Mentality is only effective if the other side does not know it. That is a pretty fast way to get a personna non grata.

Also even if the secret is maintained it must be used thriftily. If other powers start to suspect that negotiations are no longer useful to them they will simply stop negotiating.
Yes, this is something that would need to be used surgically, and you'd need to take steps to make certain it doesn't become known. Still, being able to make people temporarily gullible can get them to agree to things they wouldn't otherwise, and if done right they may not realize anything was amiss, other than you just being really good at convincing them it was a good idea. Probably a better ability for a short-term con-man than a diplomat, however, as with the latter whatever you convince them of is likely to come under scrutiny by others prior to implementation.

The Berserk pheromones were meant for high-collateral-damage assassinations (or purposeful breakdowns of negotiations), particularly those where the diplomat is expendable. Get two parties who already have a beef with each other together and let the fireworks begin. Imagine the sort of damage an alien race could have done by getting such a "diplomat" in on the recent talks between President Trump and Kim Jong-Un.

Still, from the way the race is described, I don't think either of those pheromone sets seem appropriate.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
Pursuivant

Quote:
Design goal from the alien's PoV is a diplomat/trader who can interact with the humans and go with them on their ships into space. (The aliens hate being above ground and are naturally telepathic, so don't do well outside the hive.)
Phobia (Agorophobia), Chummy or Gregarious.

Quote:
I'm looking at Bio-Tech and pondering how to model some 1x-2x day pheromone abilities. (Takes time to re-charge, so not always ons)
Limitations: Accessibility (Species Specific), Limited Uses, Takes Extra Time.

Quote:
Affliction, Limitations: As above, plus Limited Range, Sense-Based or Respiratory Agent. Enhancements: Coughing and Sneezing or Severe Pain, Secondary Retching. Area Effect.

Quote:
Terror with some or all of the limitations and enhancements listed above. Possibly a variant on Mind Control (Limitation: Only to produce emotions of fear or disgust/suggestion to "go away.")

Quote:
Affliction (Bestows Advantage (Fearlessness)). Alternately, Charisma or Mind Control modified as above.

Quote:
Charisma, Mind Control, and/or Talent (Smooth Operator).

Quote:
Affliction (Bestows Disadvantage (Noisy). Enhancement: Resisted using alternate sense (Smell), Persistent). Alternately, just Affliction (Bestows Disadvantage (Bad Smell).

Possibly, Bestows Disadvantage (New Disad: Obvious, priced like Noisy but makes you more obvious to some other sense).

Quote:
Bad Scent with limitations? or Perk (Accessory: Scent lure)
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
jason taylor

Empathy is one possibility. A psionic ability to know at what point the other guy is going to hold 'em and at what point he is going to fold 'em would be very useful.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

For the marking, I was thinking you could use a custom telecommunication.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote