Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #631
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Catalog of the Weird Parallels

And a big enough reality quake turns it into "Too Many Cooks".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8
I can't even think of sitcoms without hearing that theme now.

I'd love to try to game in a sitcom reality breaking down like that.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #632
Cowrie

Pliny worlds are a group of myth parallels where many or all of the various "marvelous races" described in Pliny the Elder's Natural History, such as sciapods, astomi, blemmyaes and cynocephali actually exist.

Pliny-1 is one of the more logical-seeming worlds of this group, a no-mana world with only those races that would be possible in the laws of known biology being real there, and those that do exist are often less "bizarre" than originally described. Here, cynocephali are bipedal, intelligent baboons, panotti's ears are big, but only reach their waist rather than the ground, and races like sciapods and arimispians that lack mirror symmetry are still fictional. Pliny-1 is currently in the year 1992 CE, experiencing the relatively early stages of TL 8, and the various marvelous races seem to replace various countries or ethnic groups originating in the regions those races were reported to be from by Pliny the Elder. Outside of this, it seems to be a strangely close parallel to Homeline, though some historical figures belong to different species. In particular, cynocephali have been quite prevalent in the Catholic Church throughout the history of Pliny-1.

Pliny-2 is similar to Pliny-1, but currently only in 206 CE with a TL of 2.

Pliny-3 gets rather stranger. Many races there seem to disregard biology as it is understood on Homeline, including the one-eyed arimispians and mouthless astomi. Even the races that exist in the previous two Pliny worlds are typically more exotic and inexplicable. Pliny-3 is a low mana world, with Magery being rare, but known. It is in the year 1143 and at TL 3, but cultures and national borders are wildly different from what they were like in Homeline during that period, with Rome still being a major power, albeit not equal to it's greatest historical area of influence.

Pliny-4 is extremely saturated in magic, with high mana levels covering most of the globe. Magery is common, but often aspected towards enchantment rather than normal spellcasting, and Alchemy is a widespread skill. In addition to possessing all the marvelous races described by Pliny the Elder, this worldline is also home to the various non-humanoid species described in his Natural History that are nonexistent in Homeline, such as the monoceros, basilisk and manticore. It is in the year 1820, with a combination of magic and technology providing a TL of 2+4^, featuring numerous devices similar to the Antikythera mechanism, each with a unique purpose and alchemically-magically-powered automatons similar to mythical creations such as Talos.

Pliny-5 may not actually be a true Pliny worldline, as it also bears distinct similarities to the world Orichalcum. The changes in geography are identical to those in Orichalcum, and the Atlantean empire still exists, despite the year being 94 CE, though the geographical extent of its power does not include Italy. The Roman empire's expansion has been slowed by conflict with Atlantis, but their territory includes Italy and some of the surrounding European mainland. Greece is still composed of Athens and other city-states much like in the Orichalcum worldline. East of Greece and throughout Africa, territory is divided between various cultures both normal human and the various marvelous races, with a handful of races like the panotti and hippopodes having strongholds in Europe, north of the major empires. These races include the Amazons, who exhibit the more fantastical cultural elements such as their men being slaves that were described by some authors. Mana is normal and most technology is TL 2, though some Atlantean tech is TL 4. The gods are an active force, but in this worldline, the metal Orichalcum is not a unique element, but an alloy of gold and copper with certain alchemical powders and reagents added that results in a metal that is roughly the same strength and weight as steel, and notably easy to enchant, but very expensive.

Last edited by Cowrie; 11-26-2017 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Added another world.
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #633
Astromancer

The local year is 1990AD and the stars seem right but the tech is strange. Basically think of the tech from old Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Fireball XL5, or Captain Future stories. Robots, and sentient ones at that, interact with rotary phones and black and white TVs. Some tech is TL7 and some is TL7 plus 5 supertech!

Society seems very early 1960s inspite of tech that ought to blow the whole social order to bits. Also, on issues of race, class, sex, and sexual orientation, this society is very advanced and tolerant, but social deportment, manners, and customs, seem to be locked in 1961!

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #634
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
The local year is 1990AD and the stars seem right but the tech is strange. Basically think of the tech from old Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Fireball XL5, or Captain Future stories. Robots, and sentient ones at that, interact with rotary phones and black and white TVs. Some tech is TL7 and some is TL7 plus 5 supertech!

Society seems very early 1960s inspite of tech that ought to blow the whole social order to bits. Also, on issues of race, class, sex, and sexual orientation, this society is very advanced and tolerant, but social deportment, manners, and customs, seem to be locked in 1961!
Huh. That could be a nice place to live (as long as you can mind your manners without strongly resenting it).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #635
Flyndaran
Untagged

With how using one's left hand was horribly gauche back then, I think I'd prefer to stay away for my own safety.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #636
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
With how using one's left hand was horribly gauche back then, I think I'd prefer to stay away for my own safety.
That may have been a regional thing (or it may just be something I hadn't heard of).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 12-05-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #637
David Johnston2

Quote:
Oh people were mostly past that by then. Not like it was the 1930s.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #638
malloyd

Quote:
At least gauche is a step up from sinister.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #639
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Oh people were mostly past that by then. Not like it was the 1930s.
I had teachers that tried being forceful with my left handedness in the 80s. Even my mom tried to "help" me when I was an infant in the 70s.

The 60s and 50s were far worse for us in many places of the U.S.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:54 PM   #640
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
At least gauche is a step up from sinister.
At least sinister has connotations of competency if malicious. Gauche is foppish and juvenile. I'm not always sure it's a step up across the board.

Tags
infinite worlds, weird worlds