Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #11
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Concentrate vs. Concentrate Maneuver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
But yeah, it necessarily happens a lot that plain words are overloaded with GURPS significance. Don't get me started on power or ability. It may help if a term is italicized every time it is used when it refers to a specific game definition.
Yeah, I've gotten in the habit online of capitalizing words when being used as game terminology.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #12
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Good topic.

I would agree with the conclusions here.

Also on p. 11 of Spells the following section should be the rules evidence to clear this up:

Concentration and Maintenance

"You can maintain a spell without concentration unless it requires constant manipulation and change; e.g., to maneuver a levitating object. Spells like that require you to take the Concentrate maneuver only. . . ."

But yeah, it necessarily happens a lot that plain words are overloaded with GURPS significance. Don't get me started on power or ability. It may help if a term is italicized every time it is used when it refers to a specific game definition.
I'm not sure but I'm starting to think I've been doing this wrong for 30 years.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:31 AM   #13
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
On page 11 of Spells, under the Casting Spells While Maintaining Other Spells heading, you get a -3 penalty per spell you are concentrating on and a -1 per other spell you have on.

That's where I'm getting the "lesser" concentrate from, to call it something to explicitly differentiate it from the Concentrate maneuver.
The initial casting of a spell requires a Concentrate Maneuver (Blocking Spells are an exception); and, some spells require concentration - NOT full blown Concentrate Maneuvers – to keep going.

EDIT: My above statement is wrong. Spells that require concentration to keep going do require full blown Concentrate Maneuvers each turn to fully utilize them. It's just that you can also cast a new spell while maintaining these spells, albeit at -3 penalty, if you want. You're still taking a single Concentrate Maneuver on your turn – you're just concentrating on more than a single spell.

You can not, however, maintain a spell that requires concentration and swing a sword at something – that would be two different maneuvers: Concentration and Attack for example, and that is not allowed.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 10-10-2017 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Dropped extraneous sentence. Clarification.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote