Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Network > GURPS Character Builder

Old 05-30-2006, 09:35 PM   #11
flyingwombat

Default Re: Character builder and International Measures

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarnick
Hi, I'm using GCB to create my characters, and I would really like some info on how(if it's possible) you can print instead of lbs and feets, kgs and meters. Is there any way?

Thanks a lot.

--
Zarnick
Uh, do you mean other than standard measurements? Or you wanna go metric. If you want to change to metric you do the following
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCB helpfile
Changing the System of Measurement

To change the units to metric (or English):

Close any open character sheets.
Select the Utilities | Preferences... command.
Click the dropdown list for Measure.
Click the desired system of measurement (Metric or English).
Click OK.
Reopen character sheets.

When the character sheet is opened, the current system of measurement is compared to the system that was in effect when the character sheet was last opened. If the measurement has changed, the height and weight of the character will be converted to the new system of measurement.
OBTW: The folks at Project Mayhem have a beta 4e data sheet that you can download if interested.
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:38 AM   #12
zarnick

Well, this is actually exactly what Metacreator answered to me, however I'm using GCB 2.1.4, and this isn't working(or at least it isn't changing anything...) I'll take a look at GCA, and maybe I'll even start using 4e...

Thanks for the help :D
zarnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:48 AM   #13
zarnick

Also, just another question, when using GCA, someone(I don't remember the name now, but it's here in this post), told me to use the "Variant Basic Set 4e - Metric Equipment", what exactly this changes? The size of the equipment? The weight of them from lbs to kg? Since I couldn't see any changes....can someone give me some light?

Thanks a lot.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:58 PM   #14
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
when using GCA, someone [...] told me to use the "Variant Basic Set 4e - Metric Equipment", what exactly this changes? The size of the equipment? The weight of them from lbs to kg? Since I couldn't see any changes....can someone give me some light?
As far as I can tell, it changes
a) the basic Lift stat and
b) the equipment weights

It doesn't seem to change the range figures for either equipment or innate attacks, nor does the default character sheet give a new range table in meters. However, meters and yards are close enough that I usually just treat them as the same if the issue comes up - you'll get some errors at long ranges, but it's well within my tolerance for that sort of thing.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:46 PM   #15
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly_pedersen
As far as I can tell, it changes
a) the basic Lift stat and
b) the equipment weights
That's pretty much what it does, yes. As you say, yards and meters are close enough that you can ignore the difference unless you're writing up blueprints or something; certainly they're close enough for gaming purposes.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:03 PM   #16
flyingwombat

Quote:
Well, this is actually exactly what Metacreator answered to me, however I'm using GCB 2.1.4, and this isn't working(or at least it isn't changing anything...) I'll take a look at GCA, and maybe I'll even start using 4e...

Thanks for the help :D
An upgrade is available. See GCB support and get the patch. However, there is no more support other than that.

You may want to check out GCA.
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:20 AM   #17
zarnick

After a lot of discussion with my group, we are finally going for 4e :D

However, on GCA there's only one thing that bothers me, I make a sheet right? When I print, there's no extra space for equipment like the GCB used to had....there's any way to change this?

Thanks a lot.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:48 AM   #18
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
However, on GCA there's only one thing that bothers me, I make a sheet right? When I print, there's no extra space for equipment like the GCB used to had....there's any way to change this?
Any area which has too many entries (be it equipment, advantages, skills, whatever) will overflow onto another page. Also, there are alternate character sheets you can use (PheonixFlex, FlexSheet, ColorFlow, etc.) which handle overflow differently (and a little better, IMO) than the default sheet.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #19
Taellosse

I could be wrong, but what I think he's asking for is if there's any way to have blank lines after the equipment listed in the program is finished.

To my knowledge, there is no sheet that currently does this, though tmedwards has, I think, said something about working on a way to make it possible for at least one section of his Phoenix sheet.

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin
Taellosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #20
zarnick

Taellosse, that's exactly what I've meant, currently now I've made an excel sheet, and am printing with my characters, but it's so ugly, and it does make a lot of work(specially if you plan to use encumberance, as an automated camp), so if there's any way to make the GCA makes this, it will be a great help.
Thanks a lot.