Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #21
LokRobster

Default Re: When will the physical Dungeon Fantasy Box be available again?

So, no tea leaves required. March2019 it is!

I find it interesting that the 'quickness to fund' is such a big tracking indicator. I'm one who marks KickStarters I like and then jump in at the end.

It looks like if we want to show up on the 'Demand in Market' chart, we gotta pledge at product launch... I can see how early support helps push the campaign and convince others to join the lemming run towards the cliff :)
Old 02-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #22
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
So, no tea leaves required. March2019 it is!

I find it interesting that the 'quickness to fund' is such a big tracking indicator. I'm one who marks KickStarters I like and then jump in at the end.

It looks like if we want to show up on the 'Demand in Market' chart, we gotta pledge at product launch... I can see how early support helps push the campaign and convince others to join the lemming run towards the cliff :)
I can only speak for myself, though I suspect other KS creators will agree.

The VERY NICE thing about early funding is that it guarantees you get something.

As an example: I really want Citadel at Noršvorn to be 128 or 144 pages. I really want it to be an offset print run, so when the gorgeous boxed set gets reprinted (full confidence here!) and goes to stores, my book(s) can also go into distribution and sit on the shelves with them.

NOT ONLY can you get this great boxed set. NOT ONLY can you get Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 . . . but you can ALSO get this adventure and this setting to go with it!

Now, right now Citadel is sitting at about 58% funding, and Backertracker predicts we'll wind up at about $15K . . . funding around March 18.

By and large, when all is said and done, for me at least it costs between $100 and $150 per page to get to the PDF stage. A 128-page book like Hall of Judgment requires about $5,000 to do a print run, plus call it another $20,000 inclusive of all fees and deductions to get to PDF stage. That leaves room in the budget to say "I need more art here!" and do upgrades on the book like heavier paper or special treatments. Even so: that $25,000 mark gives me the resources to give YOU a great book.

But if I say "OK, I can do this at a MINIMUM of (say) 13,000, which is NOT an offset run, but IS 96 pages," that puts me at giving you guys something good, if smaller than I'd like.

So if we launch, and in the (say) first two days we hit 40% and we fund in the first week of a 4-5 week campaign, I can start commissioning art. I can start hiring an editor. I can accelerate the production of the book AND know that if anything the quality and content will only get better, but that I can guarantee the basic product.

A fast-funding product means you can do all of that confidently. A slow burn leaves you vulnerable to cancellations (especially if a significant fraction of pledges are at high-tier levels; I know one game author who said that maybe two of his last Kickstarters funded because of ONE GUY who pledged thousands of dollars for the top-tier package - creating custom character classes - for both of them).

So: maybe too much info, but a project that funds right away, even if it funds and then stagnates, is WONDERFUL. It allows the publisher to move with confidence and start moving many things forward with the knowledge that no matter what, you've got money to cover THAT.

And there are knock-on effects. A fast-funding project gets visibility. Folks share it, and then other folks jump on. And then it gets better and better. And if the right third-party sees it and says "you gotta check this out!" you can get a snowball effect.

Anyway: fast-to-fund good.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 02-25-2019 at 09:29 AM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #23
Rasputin

Quote:

It looks like if we want to show up on the 'Demand in Market' chart, we gotta pledge at product launch...
Well, yeah. There's no way to tell if someone is going to pledge but hasn't already. I've marked Kickstarters where I'm on the bubble and didn't pledge because I decided the money was dearer to me than the product. That's typically what marking the Kickstarter means.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #24
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
That's huge for Kickstarter. Funding fast -- faster = better -- is very important to overall success both on Kickstarter and after the campaign ends. Many buyers -- from gamers to distributors to retailers -- use speed of funding when making decisions.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #25
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
That's huge for Kickstarter. Funding fast -- faster = better -- is very important to overall success both on Kickstarter and after the campaign ends. Many buyers -- from gamers to distributors to retailers -- use speed of funding when making decisions.
Velocity of funding also affects overall campaign success. A project that hasn't yet met its minimum funding goal tends to be looked at dubiously, more so as time goes on. Excitement over meeting stretch goals also convinces people to pledge or to up their pledge amount, which in turn increases the funding velocity.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #26
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Velocity of funding also affects overall campaign success. A project that hasn't yet met its minimum funding goal tends to be looked at dubiously, more so as time goes on. Excitement over meeting stretch goals also convinces people to pledge or to up their pledge amount, which in turn increases the funding velocity.
All of this. I will be the first to admit my stretch goals are a bit bland, mostly because I'm committed to keeping the project under control and I don't have the wherewithal to invest i not-book things like minis and counters and physical goods other than shields and swords.

I'm game for suggestions - but make them on the KS page! Websites use the number of comments as a sign of activity and excitement over a project.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #27
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'm game for suggestions - but make them on the KS page! Websites use the number of comments as a sign of activity and excitement over a project.
I posted this on your KS comments page, however I'm going to post it here too because this particular idea is just as good an addition for the SJGames DF Monsters 2 KS as it is for your own book:

This idea I will minimally add to cost but will add at least a little bling: Bookmarks. Depending on the printer you are using and their production process you may be able to squeeze bookmarks onto extra cover material trim. The bookmarks could have artwork of major opponents/monsters, stats for those monsters, a cheat sheet for your grappling rules from the first book, treasure tables, or various other little extras.

For DF Monsters 2 a neat companion piece add-on might be a deck of playing cards, similar to the ones that Phil Reed recently produced for himself, each containing a monster and its stats. This need not be limited to monsters in the new book, but could include monsters from the box set.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-25-2019 at 12:54 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:00 PM   #28
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

This thread is for discussing the Dungeon Fantasy RPG boxed set. Please take discussion of other projects to another thread.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:19 AM   #29
philreed
I do stuff and things.

For those asking for a reprint of the game, please be sure to back the Kickstarter project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...sters-2-and-ga
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #30
Refplace

I primarily go for PDF levels, hardcopy tends to just sit on my shelf. Though I did loan out DFRPG boxed set to someone so they could read the books and hopefully join a campaign.
However if bookmarks are a stretch goal or add on I would be interested. Its a nice advertising method which is something I have been requesting for awhile.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote