Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-10-2017, 06:02 AM   #1
Ashtagon

Default GURPS 1st/2nd edition?

As part of a gaming history research project, I am trying to find information about what products existed for GURPS 1st/2nd edition, and dates when they came out. Does anyone have any authoritative (or at least, passably good) sources for his?
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:35 AM   #2
robertsconley

Default Re: GURPS 1st/2nd edition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
As part of a gaming history research project, I am trying to find information about what products existed for GURPS 1st/2nd edition, and dates when they came out. Does anyone have any authoritative (or at least, passably good) sources for his?
You can use this to get a definitive list of GURPS books published
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/

And then use RPGGeek to get the publication date of a specific item.
https://rpggeek.com/rpgfamily/333/gurps

You will have to poke around to get a definitive list of 1st and 2nd edition titles as the SJ Games mask some of these (Space, Fantasy) with their 3rd edition equivalent.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
hal

A lot of the Yrth series books were published for use with GURPS 2nd edition, titles like HARKWOOD would have qualified along with Tredroy. Then there is First edition Fantasy and second edition of GURPS FANTASY. FANTASY FOLK might also have been done about that time. GURPS HIGH TECH first edition may have been done for GURPS 2nd edition, but I'd have to see if I still have my copy for it. GURPS HUMANIX with its copyright of 1987 likely falls under the heading of GURPS 2nd edition. HARKWOOD is copyright 1988.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Then there is First edition Fantasy and second edition of GURPS FANTASY. FANTASY FOLK might also have been done about that time. GURPS HIGH TECH first edition may have been done for GURPS 2nd edition, but I'd have to see if I still have my copy for it. GURPS HUMANIX with its copyright of 1987 likely falls under the heading of GURPS 2nd edition. HARKWOOD is copyright 1988.
Fantasy Folk and High Tech are definitely 3rd edition. GURPS first edition came out in 1986, third in 1989, so there isn't a long period in which there were releases for earlier versions.

Fantasy, Horror, Space, Horseclans, Humanx, Harkwood, Unnight, Old Stone Fort, Flight 13, Stardemon, Space Atlas. Orcslayer is pre 1st edition - written for Man to Man. Ice Age, Cliffhangers, Chaos in Kansas, Tredroy and maybe the Supers adventures were probably written in parallel with the 3rd edition and IIRC have some not quite updated bits.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Fantasy Folk and High Tech are definitely 3rd edition. GURPS first edition came out in 1986, third in 1989, so there isn't a long period in which there were releases for earlier versions.

Gurps Autoduel is pre-High Tech and a 1st ed book. It uses 1st ed's non-scientific gun damages.

To my understanding High Tech and its' revised gun damages is what caused the edition change from 1st to 2nd.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #6
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
Probably your best bet would be to list those books you want to know more about. Some of us old timers might have what you're looking to find.

Heck, I'm so old time I still have GURPS THE PRISONER on my shelf. I've thought about finding a home for it, but have never really felt like getting involved in packaging the book and selling it (Which is largely why I have a few copies of books that are older editions. Someday, I'll put all of my GURPS MAGIC books in one place so I can see the GURPS MAGIC 1st edition, as well as the differences beween the first printing of 2nd edition and subsequent printings of 2nd edition.

I had always meant to do a comparison between the different versions of GURPS MAGIC so that I could show how magic has changed, and how the world of Yrth could never be faithfully described if using say, GURPS MAGIC 2nd edition, 5th printing, plus GURPS GRIMOIRE - or using say, GURPS MAGIC for 4e.

Heck, even the rules for enchantment had changed sufficiently to where I still have a hard time believing that people never knew that a mage with skill 12 in Enchantment, could still produce a magic item with a "skill" of 15. All the mage had to do was spend 1.6 times as long enchanting to gain the +3 bonus to skill (trading time for skill).

But, these days, it seems like few people even really bother to use GURPS MAGIC but like the Ritual Path Magic instead, or Sorcery rules etc. Besides, without a web page to host it, where would I put the article? <shrug>

In any event, if you still need help, just send a private email and I'll see what I can dig up from my library.

Hal
hal is offline   Reply With Quote