Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-14-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
seg9585

Default Endgame Rule Conflict Question

During a Munchkin game yesterday we had an endgame-related argument due to an unclear rules conflict:

I was at Level 9 and held a "Go Up One Level" card in my hand (which I can't use to get to Level 10 and win the game). After kicking down the door I got a Level 2 monster which I could obviously beat easily. After revealing the monster, another player issued a "Lose 1 Level" curse on me (effectively moving me back to Level 8). However, I chose to play my "Go Up One Level" card to negate the curse and remain at Level 9, allowing me to fight the monster to get to Level 10 and win.

Opponents said I could not play my "Go Up One Level" card then, because the rules specifically say that only cards which state "may be used one time only" and curses are legal for play when fighting a monster. However, I argued that the Special Cards section of the rules indicated I could use my "Go Up One Level" at any time.

Doesn't any time include timing for which I'm fighting a monster to negate a curse that dropped me below Level 9?

Last edited by seg9585; 12-14-2015 at 04:49 PM.
seg9585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Endgame Rule Conflict Question

Your play was legal. Go Up a Level cards may, as you indicate, be played at any time.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Endgame Rule Conflict Question

Interesting logic, there: Curses (which can be played at any time, according to the rules) are fine to play, but GUAL cards (which can be played at any time, according to rules, more on that later) are not.

Using that logic, fresh water is wet, but salt water isn't.

However, just to put the biggest possible pin in any argument that your friends might make that your play was illegal, here's what the rules say, fully, about GUAL cards, upon which I added some emphasis:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules
Go Up a Level cards may be played on yourself or any other player at any time, even during combat.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote