Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #141
-ScreenName-

Default Re: Member House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck of Many Things View Post
By your logic, it would mean that you would lose a level immediately if you drew the Wight Brothers, because the card says "lose a level even if you escape," but it also says "will not pursue characters level 4 (give or take) or below." Our reasoning holds that a low level player does not have to deal with the card, period, and can loot the room without penalty.
i think for that particular card it says will not pursue level x or lower but higher levels lose x levels even if they escape. i think i've got munchkin at my house right now; i'll go check a few things.

by the way i think the normal ruling for attacking a monster that doesn't pursue and then having the tables turned on you and having to run away is that they still don't pursue (unless your "friends" helped you by putting you up a few levels.)
-ScreenName- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #142
-ScreenName-

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ScreenName- View Post
i think i've got munchkin at my house right now; i'll go check a few things.
i don't want to check the expansions but i found two cards in the original munchkin. King Tut and the Wight Brothers both have the same normal effect:
"Will not pursue anyone of Level 3 or below. Characters of higher levels lose 2 levels, even if they escape."
On the other hand, in munchkin bites the card The Evil says:
"These demon kittens will not pursue anyone of Level 4 or below, but anyone who encounters them loses a level anyway, just from sheer terror."
so in that case you'd lose a level even if you were level 2 or 3.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #143
Duck of Many Things

Aha. I stand corrected. I have a fuzzy memory of the cards.
Duck of Many Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #144
Mock26

My Houserule is that Kneepads of Allure can always be used in the game, despite it not being printed any more.

Why? Because given that we play with Munchkin, Unnatural Axe, Clerical Errors, De-Ranged, The Need for Steed (and will soon be adding in More Good Cards, Fairy Dust, and Waiting for Santa) all in one giant deck the card hardly ever comes up. And when it does it makes the game a blast to play! It is pretty much the only time that I ever get to see someone playing a Monster Enhancer to ensure that they lose the fight that they are in! That alone makes it worth keeping the card in the game. Besides which, the game is called Munchkin and the Kneepads of Allure are about as Munchkiny as you can get.
Mock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #145
MunchkinMan

Just because a card is no longer printed does not mean you can't use it. If you happen to own a copy that has it and play with that set, that card's there for you to use. At no point was anyone told to take the card out of their set and destroy it just because it's no longer being printed in newer printings.

This is not Tragic: The Marketing, ya know?
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #146
-ScreenName-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Just because a card is no longer printed does not mean you can't use it. If you happen to own a copy that has it and play with that set, that card's there for you to use. At no point was anyone told to take the card out of their set and destroy it just because it's no longer being printed in newer printings.

that's cool, i hate when companies start mass banning the cards that they made (yu-gi-oh).
Old 11-08-2009, 01:26 AM   #147
Mock26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post

Glad to hear! I incorporated the rule recently due to a discussion with some gamers (whom I had only met that night) and one of them mentioned that the Kneepads of Allure were no longer being made and that meant that they could no longer be used.

Can they still be used in tournament play if someone is using an older deck with that card? Or do tournament decks have to conform to the most recent printing?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:40 AM   #148
MunchkinMan

What I said goes for anything. You play with the cards that are in your set. Again, Munchkin != Tragic: The Marketing.

Now, if the owner of the set hates the KoA, he's welcome to take it out, but no one at SJG is going to sanction you, him, or anyone else for wanting to remove it or play with it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #149
Duck of Many Things

Munchkin official tournament rules would seem like a bad idea to me, since so many cards would be banned in a futile attempt to achieve game balance, e.g. Wizard abilities, KoA, Divine Intervention, etc.. Munchkin is about as much luck as it is skill, and I think that's what makes it such a great game. With that said, I think in a tournament, anything goes.
Duck of Many Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #150
Cheese8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck of Many Things View Post
Munchkin official tournament rules would seem like a bad idea to me, since so many cards would be banned in a futile attempt to achieve game balance, e.g. Wizard abilities, KoA, Divine Intervention, etc.. Munchkin is about as much luck as it is skill, and I think that's what makes it such a great game. With that said, I think in a tournament, anything goes.
Actually, there are official tournament rules for Munchkin. And there is not one single card banned. As MM has said many times this game is not anything like "Tragic: The Marketing" the game doesn't need cards to be banned to balance the game out, the game is really well balanced as is.
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice