Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
Moe Lane

Default Bernard, Malakite Angel of Hangovers

http://moeticae.typepad.com/weblog_l...d-malakit.html

Bernard
Malakite of Judgment
Angel of Hangovers

Corporeal Forces: 4 Strength: 8 Agility: 8
Ethereal Forces: 5 Intelligence: 10 Precision: 10
Celestial Forces: 5 Will: 8 Perception: 12
Word-Forces: 3
Vessel/3

Skills: Chemistry/1, Computer Operation/1, Dodge/6, Driving/1, Emote/3, Engineering/1, Fightin/6, Knowledge/3 (Psychology), Large Weapon/1 (club), Medicine/1, Move Silently/1, Ranged Weapon/3 (pistol)

Songs: Healing (All/3), Light (Ethereal/3), Shields (All/3), Thunder/4, Tongues (Ethereal/3)

Attunements: Malakite of Judgment, Elohite of Judgment, Advocate, Incarnate Law, Angel of Hangovers

Angel of Hangovers: With a Will roll, Bernard can make a regular hangover suffered by a mundane completely impervious to any attempts to cure the problem, for (Corporeal Forces) hours.
Special Rite: Persuade someone to not drink so much in the future.

Role: Dr. Bernie Vincent (psychologist/5, Status/5)

Oaths:
"Suffer not an evil to live, if it is my choice."
"Never surrender, or allow myself to be captured by the forces of Lucifer"
"Always remember the inherent dignity of Man."
"Be a loud and stalwart critic of Pride."

No, he is not a Habbalite with the wings painted black. If he did, he wouldn't care about the results of his ministrations. Since he does care, and really does strive to improve the lives of the people he treats in the long term, the question is actually kind of unfair.

Admittedly, his methods may be hideously evocative of the Habbalite mindset, but that's a different story altogether. There may be nothing wrong with ethyl alcohol, in its place - Bernard has his doubts on that - but it is a metabolic poison that can very easily mess up a human's life. It's his job to make sure that people take the proper lessons away from waking up after a night of drink-driven debauchery; and if that involves heavy-handed negative reinforcement of the more unpleasant after-effects... then it does, that's all. He's not here to be nice, after all.

And, generally, Bernard is not particularly nice - at least, not particularly nice to anybody with a drink in his or her hand. If he thinks that a particular individual needs personalized attention, the Malakite is perfectly capable of giving some, for days if not weeks. His best work is reserved for Soldiers of God with poor drinking habits, given that with them he can really get on with the job; this has led to just the smallest bit of friction with other Superiors' organizations, but given that many groups don't react well to the Divine Inquisition anyway, this is actually not really an issue.

As to his opposite number - while there is a Demon of Hangovers (Xerxes, Habbalite of Dark Humor), he and Bernard do not seem to be dealing with Word-friction on either side. The two are not friends, by any stretch of the term - their encounters are generally limited to attempts to kill each other - but neither are they particularly intrinsically bothered by the other's existence. Some unkind individuals on both sides of the of the War have made snide comments on why this might be so...

Moe Lane.com
Moe Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Bernard, Malakite Angel of Hangovers

Nice, although I would think that his opposite number would be the Demon of the Hair of the Dog .. who, of course, is a servant of Gluttony.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man
I would think that his opposite number would be the Demon of the Hair of the Dog (a servant of Gluttony).
Nah. Remember, Kobal sponsored Haagenti, so Kobal's had longer to build up his cadre. Consider also that for most of human history, alcohol (in the form of beer and/or wine) has been the "default" beverage, not water.

Franklin
fwcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwcain
Nah. Remember, Kobal sponsored Haagenti, so Kobal's had longer to build up his cadre. Consider also that for most of human history, alcohol (in the form of beer and/or wine) has been the "default" beverage, not water.

Franklin
Understood -- it's just since "the hair of the dog" encourages you to take still one more drink for "medicinal" purposes, it sounded right up Gluttony's alley. It's the attitude I'm considering, not the substance. Although that would also fit Kobal -- encouraging someone to drink as a way to fix problems caused by drinking sure sounds like his sense of humor.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
William

"Hair of the Dog" is the name of a canonical Gluttony Servitor Attunement with exactly this effect.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
"Hair of the Dog" is the name of a canonical Gluttony Servitor Attunement with exactly this effect.
Well, I'll be. I had no idea, since I've never purchased any of the Infernal Superiors books. Is this great minds thinking alike -- or just proof that the proverbial stopped clock is still right twice a day? :)

Old 08-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Sagitta

No doubt there is also an Ethereal Oh God of Hangovers.
Sagitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitta
No doubt there is also an Ethereal Oh God of Hangovers.
I see somebody's been reading their Hogfather lately ...

Tags
character