Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2018, 11:47 PM   #1
Jareth Valar

Default Need help with a 4e Vehicle

I'm looking for anyone's help on a houseboat for 4e. Specificically Houseboat Specs.

My GM has been known to use and abuse vehicles, homes, etc in game and would like help in providing appropriate stats (if I have stats, it will be considered, if not...).

I know Ultra-Tech has a contragrav houseboat, but...yeah, this if for a modern TL 8 game, so...

Any help would be appreciated.
Jareth Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:57 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Need help with a 4e Vehicle

ST/HP should be easy enough to figure from the mass of commercially listed house boats on the web. Similarly, the Move score should be easy enough to figure from listings of RL house boats. Draft would probably be pretty shallow, but I'm not sure how shallow all things considered.

Hnd/SR... I'd go with SR 3 or 4, as they're basically built for stability, but they're still boats. Hnd would probably be a negative number, as they maneuver like whales. Hnd/SR -4/3 may be suitable, maybe even -4/4.

DR would likely be fairly low. Not sure how thick the walls would be, or what they're made of, but referencing the DR/inch table in Basic Set: Campaigns should help (around p. B550, I think, but I'm unsure of the exact page number). I'd probably go with a high HP/low DR combo.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:04 AM   #3
weby

You would need to get the basic stats of the actal boat to get most of the things.

You need:
Unloaded/loaded weight for ST/HP and WT/load.
The power and top speed for the speed.
Cruising range for the range.

A rental brouchure will not normally list such, so you would need to find a complete sales brochure.

As for Hnd/SR you just need to estimate it.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:27 AM   #4
Jareth Valar

OK. Due to some severe irritation trying to find the specs for that stupid thing, the GM and I agreed on a different boat (and a few more skill points spread too). This one has full specs, I just have no real experience in GURPS creating vehicles and the like.

A catamaran. specifically Lagoon 50 3 cabin version.
Any hep would be appreciated. Even where to find comparative ratings and the like so I can work up the numbers, but if someone likes doing math and wants to stat it, I won't argue either. :-P
Old 01-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
mlangsdorf

TL 8
ST/HP 155
Hnd/SR -1/6
HT 11f
Move 1/6 (Sail), 0.5/4 (Motor)
LWt: 29 tons
Load: 7 tons(?)
SM: +6
Occ: 1A+5A+8
DR: 3
Range: - under sail, 200 (?) under motor
Cost: millions USD?
Locations: MOsg
Draft: 4'7"
Notes: 126 gallons of fresh water on board limits range to around 21 days without rewatering or water conservation.

Speeds taken from this review: https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/lagoon-52-2.
Range under motor is an estimate. https://www.boatingmag.com/calculating-fuel-consumption says 0.5 lbs of gas per hour per HP, so it burns about 5 gallons per hour per engine which is 1.6 mpg.

Last edited by mlangsdorf; 01-31-2018 at 10:59 AM.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:34 PM   #6
Jareth Valar

Thank you very much!

We decided to go with the Lagoon 52 (higher displacement, deeper draft by 4", but more of what we were looking for....and has diesel engines=better economy), but were just going to use these stats.

Questions though:

1) with the occupancy 1A+5A+8, is that the 6 cabin version?
2) the range due to watter, how many does that include?
Old 01-31-2018, 09:56 PM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth Valar View Post
2) the range due to watter, how many does that include?
GURPS assumes characters need 2 quarts of water a day, so 126 gallons is 252 man-days. mlangsdorf appears to be assuming either 12 people or high water consumption and fewer people (if eating food that has been preserved through dehydration and/or heavy salting, for example).
Old 02-01-2018, 06:33 AM   #8
mlangsdorf

Occupancy is the specified 3 cabin version, because it looks like each cabin can hold 2 people. I assume you can you can have at least twice as many people on the deck as in the cabins, if you're doing a day trip or something.

I did the math for range assuming a gallon of water a day for 6 people because I forgot to look up the actual rules. 2 quarts a day is the normal in temperate climates, but each person needs an extra quart when it is hot and I assume that most people are going to want to clean themselves every few days.

So 6 people could go 42 days, drinking 2 quarts a day each and only bathing in gray water, but I'd consider that water conservation.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
I did the math for range assuming a gallon of water a day for 6 people because I forgot to look up the actual rules. 2 quarts a day is the normal in temperate climates, but each person needs an extra quart when it is hot and I assume that most people are going to want to clean themselves every few days.

So 6 people could go 42 days, drinking 2 quarts a day each and only bathing in gray water, but I'd consider that water conservation.
I'll admit I didn't put much thought into non-drinking uses for fresh water, mostly because I assumed seawater would work fine for everything else. I guess it depends on how the sink and bathing facilities are set up (do they pull from the fresh water tanks, or do they use a pump to pull from the ocean?).
Old 02-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
mlangsdorf

Regularly letting salt water dry on the skin is really bad for the skin. Makes it more susceptible to sunburn, dries it out, can make it crack. I wouldn't recommend it.

20 days sail at 10 knots is 4000 nautical miles. Captain Bligh's trip after the mutiny on the Bounty was only 3500 nm. I think 21 days is sufficient for most trips.