Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
Anders

Default Basic GURPS Toolkit?

What books and supplements do you find yourself returning to? What do you consider to be the essential GURPS Toolkit needed to run the kind of games you like to run?

For me, Minimal equipment (-2) is the Basic Set: Characters and Basic Set: Campaign.

Adding GURPS Powers, and Power-Ups 2&3 (Perks and Talents) makes it Basic equipment (+/-0). And if there's magic, I use Sorcery from Pyramid. And Low-Tech. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Last edited by Anders; 04-17-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: forgot one other thing
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
Gnome

Default Re: Basic GURPS Toolkit?

I find myself using Magic and Martial Arts more often than Powers, but that's probably because I tend to play fantasy games with lots of combat. Basic + Magic is really just fine for me (Martial Arts is there because I like having a lot more detail in combat); I don't consider it an equipment penalty.
After those three or four books, I would add Fantasy, then the DF books (which are useful for any fantasy game, not only hack-and-slash, although that's primarily how they're geared).

I've heard people here refer to Powers as "the third Basic book," but I haven't found that to be the case at all. Powers is a fantastic book, well worth having, but it's really only needed for certain kinds of games IMO (such as superhero games or games in which you're trying to model a specific ability from another rpg, a novel, a movie, etc.).
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
zorg
Experimental Subject

Character and Campaigns, obviously. And Powers. Everything else is nice, but not crucial to what I play.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Basic, of course. Action 2 for modern-ish games, Magic, DF 1, 2, 3, 8, and 13 and DFM1 for fantasy games these days. I've referred to it a time or two while writing, but I've never once used Powers for actual play.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
korbeau

It's really unique to each campaigns but the common books are:

Basic set
Martial Art
Magic

After that is campaign flavor; DF series, Banestorm, Ritual Magic Path, Psi, Power, Super, Low Tech, High Tech, Ultra Tech, some pyramid stuffs, ect...
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I've run two long-term campaigns since GURPS Fourth Edition came into being:
The Company: The "kit" for my current secret-agents campaign is the Basic Set (both volumes), High-Tech (for the gear), and Martial Arts (for the fighting) – with occasional use of Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, and Tactical Shooting. I keep Social Engineering on standby, but so much of what goes on is deeply clandestine and completely avoids humans that this fine work has yet to become a core tool. This campaign inspired the Action series, but those supplements are really more "my interpretation of the above stuff, put into writing"; I'm not using them per se.

The Dawn of Magic: The "kit" for my previous fantasy campaign was the Basic Set (both volumes), Low-Tech (for the gear), Magic and Thaumatology (for the magic), and Martial Arts (for the fighting) – with occasional use of Mass Combat and Powers. This campaign informed the Dungeon Fantasy series, but here, too, the supplements were notes on my general approach rather than materials I used. Similarly, many concepts eventually found their way to Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys and Thaumatology: Magical Styles, but I didn't use those works.
Analyzing that, I guess it would be fair to say that my most basic tools are the Basic Set, Martial Arts, and the Power-Ups series, and that I'm highly prone to using the -Tech books and genre quick-starts.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, rules, supplement