Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #91
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Bestiary 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
(having several different types of canines, for example, could be very useful).
C. lupus, C. latrans, and then what? There aren't several different extant species of Canis to begin with.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #92
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
C. lupus, C. latrans, and then what? There aren't several different extant species of Canis to begin with.
There aren't different species, but there's a hell of a lot more variety than that, and in this case it can really matter. A Pomeranian should not utilize the same statblock as a German Shepherd.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #93
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
There aren't different species, but there's a hell of a lot more variety than that, and in this case it can really matter. A Pomeranian should not utilize the same statblock as a German Shepherd.
Pomeranian's generally aren't wild on the Grasslands. How many different Grassland critters are going to matter? How is that any different from caves?
Old 07-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #94
Bruno

Quote:
Lycaon pictus (African wild dog)
Cuon alpinus (Asiatic wild dog)
Chrysocyon brachyurus (Maned wolf)

And so on and so forth. Canis isn't the only kind of canine.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #95
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Canis isn't the only kind of canine.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure "-ine" is generic and "-id" is familial.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 07-04-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #96
Langy

Quote:
Pomeranian's generally aren't wild on the Grasslands. How many different Grassland critters are going to matter? How is that any different from caves?
Because there are a lot more grassland critters than cave critters. For example: lions, elephants, gazelle, zebras, horses, giraffes, hippos, buffalo, bison, rabbits, prairie dogs, etc., etc., etc. You could go on damned-near forever.

Underground has: Bats. Moles. Mole rats. Some insects. And that's about it.

In any case, I wasn't talking about grasslands when I mentioned canines, and I'm a fan of putting multiple biomes into the same book.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #97
Faolyn

Quote:
Underground has: Bats. Moles. Mole rats. Some insects. And that's about it.
Giant dire olms?
Faolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #98
Humabout

Quote:
DF 8 (for example) doesn't repeat the text for items from other sources. It just says "Helmet Lamp, DF1 p xx" Or whatever. Why can't GURPS Bestiary 3: Grasslands just say Wolf, Bestiary 1 p. xx?
As a consumer, if I purchased a book of arctic animals and it actually had the balls to list "Wolf, see Plains, p. X" I'd be ticked off enough to not buy any more. If I purchase a book on a biome, I expect a complete book. DF 8 is a book of treasure tables, and it is true to that. A bestiary is intended to have stats on animals, so if it lacks stats on animals, it's just lying about what it is.

That aside, I would totally go for books that cover all aspects of a biome, including animal stats.

Perhaps a mixed approach would work best. Start with a basic bestiary that has a bunch of common templates, like Wolf, Elephant, Ape, Snake, etc. Animals that are in common demand. Then follow up with biome-books that can reference that one for lenses or adding templates. Frex, "Leopard" might be in the main book, Jumgles has a Jaguar lens, Swamplands have a Panther lens, Plains references Leopard directly, and Mountains has a Puma lens. That way it's the best of both worlds with minimal buyign of extra books based on random release dates.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #99
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Perhaps a mixed approach would work best. Start with a basic bestiary that has a bunch of common templates, like Wolf, Elephant, Ape, Snake, etc. Animals that are in common demand. Then follow up with biome-books that can reference that one for lenses or adding templates. Frex, "Leopard" might be in the main book, Jumgles has a Jaguar lens, Swamplands have a Panther lens, Plains references Leopard directly, and Mountains has a Puma lens. That way it's the best of both worlds with minimal buyign of extra books based on random release dates.
That's the third time such an idea has been suggested in this thread.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #100
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
As a consumer, if I purchased a book of arctic animals and it actually had the balls to list "Wolf, see Plains, p. X" I'd be ticked off enough to not buy any more. If I purchase a book on a biome, I expect a complete book. DF 8 is a book of treasure tables, and it is true to that. A bestiary is intended to have stats on animals, so if it lacks stats on animals, it's just lying about what it is.

That aside, I would totally go for books that cover all aspects of a biome, including animal stats.

I like it!

Tags
bestiary, gurps