Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-26-2017, 08:48 AM   #1121
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

The drunken fighting perk is actually official, and turns alcoholic penalties into bonuses in combat.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #1122
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
The drunken fighting perk is actually official, and turns alcoholic penalties into bonuses in combat.
It's actually one of the more seriously unbalanced perks in print - it amounts to +2 to all combat skills and combat related DX rolls with preparation required (get drunk) and a temporary disadvantage (you are drunk). That *ought* to cost you 10 or 15 points.

I do allow Drunken [skill], allowing you to ignore intoxication penalties to one skill, and might be talked into multiple (or all) skills - after all you could just take Immunity to Ethanol instead. But a *bonus* for being drunk? Nah. Even a +1 to a single skill with preparation required and the irritating condition is pushing it for a point, though the penalties to everything else do help. Certainly not for something as broad as all DX rolls in a fight.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #1123
Flyndaran
Untagged

Perk to ignore intoxication penalties coupled with Higher Purpose; stay drunk and fight for the bonuses? That is too much benefit for a single point, even if in genre for certain "Kung Fu" games.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #1124
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Drunken Master: Penalties for being under the influence of alcohol do not apply to your combat skills. They still apply to anything else, including self control rolls, while drunk, depending on your disadvantages, you may still start fights you wouldn't otherwise.
FYI, Drunken Fighting is a canonical combat perk already.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #1125
PK

I realize this isn't strictly "custom," but I've used Attribute Substitution (Intimidation based on HT) for several characters. It makes it possible for big, beefy, dumb characters to be as menacing as they should be.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #1126
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
I realize this isn't strictly "custom," but I've used Attribute Substitution (Intimidation based on HT) for several characters. It makes it possible for big, beefy, dumb characters to be as menacing as they should be.
Heh, the downsides of no longer allowing ST-based (nor ST-substituted) skills, eh?
Old 03-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #1127
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Weasel Ward
In supernatural terms, you count as a weasel regardless of your actual form. This protects you from the petrifying gaze of the cockatrice, but no other magical hazards, and you cannot pass through magical barriers that block weasels.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #1128
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
It's actually one of the more seriously unbalanced perks in print - it amounts to +2 to all combat skills and combat related DX rolls with preparation required (get drunk) and a temporary disadvantage (you are drunk). That *ought* to cost you 10 or 15 points.

I do allow Drunken [skill], allowing you to ignore intoxication penalties to one skill, and might be talked into multiple (or all) skills - after all you could just take Immunity to Ethanol instead. But a *bonus* for being drunk? Nah. Even a +1 to a single skill with preparation required and the irritating condition is pushing it for a point, though the penalties to everything else do help. Certainly not for something as broad as all DX rolls in a fight.
I can get something like it down to around [12] --

Daredevil +2 (30) (Only in Combat -20%, Only on Combat actions: -20%, Temp Disad.: Drunk -20%)
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #1129
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Weasel Ward
In supernatural terms, you count as a weasel regardless of your actual form. This protects you from the petrifying gaze of the cockatrice, but no other magical hazards, and you cannot pass through magical barriers that block weasels.
For the standard magic system, barriers against weasels are in the Animal College and so would only block you if your IQ was 5 (sometimes 6) or less. Though breaking that for flavor text purposes like this isn't exactly a problem.

I think the usual GURPS nomenclature would be Affected as Weasel, which is probably a better description (this doesn't *ward off* weasels) and somehow sounds funnier to me anyway.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:47 PM   #1130
onetrikpony

would this count as a perk or a feature?

Killer Smile

Your smile is a portent of doom.
you can make an intimidation test simply by smiling in your certain way, this requires no other overt action or dialogue on the part of the character.

If it's only a feature what benefit would make it a perk?
onetrikpony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, perks