Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 04-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Woof Dah

Default In play vs. in hand vs. on table vs. in view?

Just got Munchkin Deluxe for my family this week. We're having fun but really struggling with understanding some elements of the game which ends up impacting the fun factor.

What's the rule for displaying cards face-up to other players? We equivocate cards that are in play are those we're using, e.g. items plus race/class and any lingering curses. These we place face-up on the table. Is this right?

In our hand we keep everything else, e.g. unused curses, alternate races/classes, monsters, and items we can't use (b/c of race/class incompatibility, we have too many 2-handed items, etc.). My wife thinks all items (those with a money value) should be displayed on the table, face-up, even if they're not in play. Is she right?

Thanks in advance. I've got three 11-yr old boys coming over this afternoon to play Munchkin with my son so I'm hoping to get these questions answered.
Woof Dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: In play vs. in hand vs. on table vs. in view?

Any items (cards with a Gold Piece value, including ones that say "No Value") CAN be played face up on the table, even if you can't currently use them.

If you cannot currently use an item that you have played to the table (or simply choose not to for some reason) you indicate this by turning the card sideways. Those cards are still "in play", though.

You don't HAVE to play them to the table, but often you will want to, just to free up space in your hand and avoid giving Charity.

The only limitation on what items you can play to the table is that you may not have more than one Big item at a time (whether or not you are using it doesn't matter, you can only carry one).
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Dah View Post
What's the rule for displaying cards face-up to other players? We equivocate cards that are in play are those we're using, e.g. items plus race/class and any lingering curses. These we place face-up on the table. Is this right?
Sort of. Using is a risky term to use, since that's an actual game term with respect to Items. All the Items you have in play are carried, while those carried Items giving you a bonus or special ability are the ones you are using. The Class and Race you have in play are just simply referred to your Class and Race, you aren't really using them. As for lingering Curses, they aren't technically in play so much as out to remind you. I.e., you can't discard them for the purposes of powering a special ability or to "pay" for a Curse or Bad Stuff that you just got hit with.

Quote:
In our hand we keep everything else, e.g. unused curses, alternate races/classes, monsters, and items we can't use (b/c of race/class incompatibility, we have too many 2-handed items, etc.). My wife thinks all items (those with a money value) should be displayed on the table, face-up, even if they're not in play. Is she right?
Yes and no. You may play any Item to the table, even if you can't use it (e.g., Hands are full, wrong Class), or you aren't going to use it right now (like one-shot Items). You just have to turn an Item sideways if you aren't using it. However, you are not required to play all of your Items to the table. And, remember, you can only carry one Big Item, so that means you can only have one in play. All of the other cards must remain in your hand.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
Woof Dah

Thanks guys, very helpful. I must have missed something in the rules about turning the cards sideways to indicate an item that's not in use.
Woof Dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Top of page 5, first 3 paragraphs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules, Items section
Anyone can carry any item, but some items have use restrictions: for instance, the Mace of Sharpness can only be wielded by a Cleric. Its bonus only counts for someone who is, at the moment, a Cleric.

Likewise, you may also use only one headgear, one suit of armor, one pair of footgear, and two “1 Hand” items (or one “2 Hands” item) . . . unless you have a card that lets you ignore these limits. If you are carrying two Headgear cards, for instance, only one of them can help you.

You should indicate items that can’t help you, or extras not being worn, by turning the cards sideways.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote