Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-21-2009, 04:20 AM   #31
The Benj

Default Re: Cinematic House-Rules - Post them if you got 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Badguy Reload Frustration

Whenever a badguy has to reload, they will spend 5x time, 10x time or even more hitting, scowling and swearing in frustration at the weapon before actually reloading it.
Seriously? 15-30 seconds or longer? Why not just say that a bas guy who's out of ammo is out of the fight, because that's to what this amounts.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #32
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
Seriously? 15-30 seconds or longer? Why not just say that a bas guy who's out of ammo is out of the fight, because that's to what this amounts.
For some reason, I was thinking of the base time of one second, rather than three. I'll fix the above now.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #33
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosopher Rogue View Post
Sorry I missed this before!

Basically I count it as someone using a rifle, a scope and aiming until they get the full bonus from a prone or hidden position.

Another way to explain it is they have to be in some danger for it to be heroic. If they are 900 yards away and no one can see them, it's just not sporting.
The official definition is, if I remember, someone specifically trained to eliminate high-priority targets with highly accurate fire.

Someone who just gets it into his head to do this sort of thing, or who is arbitrarily picked by an officer for it is a sharpshooter but not a sniper.

This definition would possibly eliminate Simo Haya who didn't go to a sniper school as far as I know but eliminated several hundred Russians. But officialdom needs it's rules.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #34
Ragitsu
Banned

Does anyone have a houserule that allows a character to add DR (temporarily, at least) to any barrier they hide behind? One good example is in the movie Transporter 2: Frank Martin uses an average wooden door for cover and is completely protected from a hail of 9mm bullets. In Eraser, Arnold Schwarzenegger's character uses a refrigerator's door for cover against a grenade.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #35
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Does anyone have a houserule that allows a character to add DR (temporarily, at least) to any barrier they hide behind? One good example is in the movie Transporter 2: Frank Martin uses an average wooden door for cover and is completely protected from a hail of 9mm bullets. In Eraser, Arnold Schwarzenegger's character uses a refrigerator's door for cover against a grenade.
Get Gun Fu.

It's a perk so long as they do nothing but cower behind the cover, soon as they pop up their heads and start shooting it's back to being flimsy cover.

EDIT: Or a cinematic campaign toggle, but Gun Fu puts forth the idea that individuals can buy access to cinematic rules just for themselves with a perk.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #36
coyote6

Quote:
Does anyone have a houserule that allows a character to add DR (temporarily, at least) to any barrier they hide behind?
Kromm* does; the Flimsy Cover perk, from GURPS Gun Fu, lets you hide behind any cover & be safe, no matter how flimsy. As long as you hide, that is.

*Or maybe it was S.A. or Hans; I dunno.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #37
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
EDIT: Or a cinematic campaign toggle, but Gun Fu puts forth the idea that individuals can buy access to cinematic rules just for themselves with a perk.
That's just a specific case of Extra Option from Power-Ups 2.

You could probably build a pretty good Action Hero Meta-Trait just from Extra Option and Rules Exemption Perks. 10-20 points worth of these in an otherwise realistic campaign would provide a significant advantage over the poor mooks without them.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #38
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

Similar to karma or victory points is the experiemental idea of coupons. These could be distributed as concomitant benefits for critical successes that didn't yield additional benefits, or good roleplaying. The main idea here is that the coupons have different varieties keyed to the skills involved, but the main distinction from the other reward systems is that these are keyed to skills.

The medic would rack up health related coupons to dodge infections or stanch bleeding.
The researcher would get gnostic coupons that could be redeemed to suddenly add skills with accumulated points with no in-game explanation. sduccessful uses of Intuition, etc.

The system was too nebulous to sustain, but I liked the idea.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #39
Ragitsu
Banned

That's a little too specific for me :-(.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #40
vitruvian

Quote:
That's a little too specific for me :-(.
Just use the rules in Basic for spending CPs on Influencing Success Rolls, then.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cinematic, house rules, houserules, unrealistic