Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #21
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: [DF] Hex crawling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Well, I just had to edit the hunting rules to give an actual boon to meeting a bunch of bunnies, though the party druid might have a snit.
OPH (Preachy Vegetarian)? I find it difficult to wrap my head around Druids who want others to refrain from meat-eating or hunting, even in a DF setting.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #22
Surnis

Default square crawls

I often play in the hex-crawl style, but my zones are actually square-crawls, since I use excel for the maps. I does have its advantages, like easy to roll random coordinnates when a meteor falls, for instance.

But I would like to do proper hex maps. I never had a program that satisfied me. I found some mapping programs that allow you to draw and have an overlying hex-grid, but I would actually prefer something simpler, I dislike when an hex is cut by a coast in the middle and you dont know if that hex is water or plains. I just want to color the whole hex like I would do with excel, not draw on it. Since most people reading this thread most likely experimented with a few things, can someone suggest an hex program that doesnt require drawing a map on it? Coloring and writing on the hexes would be required, though, and icons for towns, dungeons etc would be a bonus.
Surnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
Anaraxes

Default Re: square crawls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surnis View Post
{A square grid} does have its advantages, like easy to roll random coordinnates when a meteor falls, for instance.
You could use the same system on a hex grid. Picture every other row of a square grid shifted half a square sideways. That's the topology of a hex grid. So, you can still roll for column and row. (The old paper wargame companies used to number their hex maps. Avalon Hill used letters for one coordinate, then a number, so you might have hex C17. SPI was more fond of two-digit numbers for the column and row glued together, so you'd get hex 0317.)

If the application-specific mapping programs like Campaign Cartographer don't work for you, you could try something like Inkscape. I'm sure it will let you fill a hex with a color or texture.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

CC3 will number the hexes.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #25
Surnis

Thanks!

Campaign cartographer, that's what I was trying to remember! Indeed, I tried it, and it was way too complex for what I need.

I am aware of the ways to coordinate hexes, its just easier with squares. In a big map, following a row a long ways can get confusing. And numbering each hex like the battletech maps requires rather big hexes. I would be difficult to use on hex graph-paper for instance. Still, I'll use the columns and rows method if I do get to do those maps.

I'll give inkscape a look, I don,t remember trying it.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #26
Rasputin

Hexographer. The free version is limited but usable, and the program in easy to use.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #27
Surnis

Hexographer is exactly what I needed! Too bad it seems to have serious memory problems, as its slow as hell, and loading back the map is a nightmare, but when it works, its awesome!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #28

This is an old thread, but:

You can use a spreadsheet program, such as Excel or Gnumeric, still.
There are two types of hex maps. In one, the hexes go N . SE NW, SW NE.
For those, every cell in the spreadsheet has six neighbors: above, below, right, left, right below, left below. For example, G13 in the spreadsheet is considered neighbor with F13, F14, G12, G14, H13 and H14.

Let's say each cell represents a five mile hex as suggested in this thread (I like six mile hexes better, but let's go with the flow here). Then to go from G13 to I15 (via H14) is ten miles. (12 with six-mille hexes.)
The only way to go from G13 to F12 is via G12 or F13. Imagine a shape like this:
#@#
@@@
@@@
when you look at the spreadsheet. If you know Shogi, it's like how the opponets Gold General can move. Back, sides, and all three squares towards you.
Similarly, the party can go north, east/west, and all three southern directions.
It's "really" a hex map, where you're keeping track of the hex keys in your spreadsheet, only that the mapping is so well organized that you can throw away the hexmap and just use the spreadsheet.

The other type of hex map has hexes that go W E, NW SE, SW NE. These don't map as well but you can use same idea.
2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:04 PM   #29
Fister

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1n618n4pdg...2%29.docx?dl=0

Wilderness Adventures Hexcrawl

Game Aid is derived from the following sources.
Dungeon Fantasy 16 Wilderness Adventures is a trademark of Steve Jackson Games, and its rules and art are copyrighted by Steve Jackson Games. All rights are reserved by Steve Jackson Games. This game aid is the original creation of Kyle Scott and is released for free distribution, and not for resale, under the permissions granted in the Steve Jackson Games Online Policy. http://www.sjgames.com/general/online_policy.html

The Alexandrian (Hexcrawl); Copyright 2005-2015, Justin Alexander. http://www.thealexandrian.net

Roger SG Sorolla, One-Page Wilderness System; 2011
Fister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:01 AM   #30
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fister View Post
Wilderness Adventures Hexcrawl
This is vaguely akin to how I run things–Sorolla's hex crawl system with the foraging and tracking systems in DF16. I have a long-standing Pyramid submission making things a little more GURPS-like. Alexander's system, however, is largely incompatible with these, in part because he goes with big (10-12 mile) hexes instead of mid-sized ones (5-6 miles). The only mechanic I use from him is that going into hexes nearby where you entered is half-off.

Mostly, this is just a cut-and-paste of different rules with no play testing or consideration for how they work together.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, gurps, hex crawling, travel